Xenia: A Kebab Grille

Barnabas -- October 12th, 2006

(zee-nee-ya)

I had no idea this place existed until five minutes before I walked through the door. If I hadn’t been looking for it I wouldn’t have known it was there. I had just picked Heather up from work for dinner and asked her where she wanted to go.“There’s a new Mediterranean place next to Qdoba I wanna try.” So that’s where we went. I wasn’t in the mood for debate and I was very much interested in checking it out. Xenia has a very small dining area, maybe six tables in total. You order and pay at the counter. So we grabbed a booth and looked at the menu for a moment. I could tell I would take way to much time if I didn’t just pick something, so I did and so did Heather. We both ordered Pitas. The man at the counter was friendly and took the order with no confusion. The service was quick. I ordered ‘The Euphrates’ which is a slow cooked beef and lamb Gyro Kebab on a fresh baked oven pita with hummus, lettuce, tomatoes, Kalamata olives and feta cheese. Heather chose “The Pyramid”, a clay oven fresh baked pita topped with marinated chicken breast tomatoes, red roasted sweet peppers, crunchy garlic breaded green beans and melted Muenster cheese all smothered in a homemade blend of spicy mustard guacamole and sour cream with a side of their hot sauce. The pita is a lot lighter and fluffier than the pita I’m used to. It was really good but I’ve never been to the Mediterranean so I couldn’t tell you if the bread pita or this fluffy pita is more authentic. Don’t walk in expecting a Dave’s Gyro but also don’t expect to be disappointed. If people begin to find out about this place I’m sure the owner is going to wish he had a spot with a bigger dining area.

By Barnabas

8 Responses to “Xenia: A Kebab Grille”

1. Gxeremio says:

We went here last week and the food wasn’t mouthwatering or anything, but the prices are decent and it’s nice to have something like it here in the area. I know I plan to put it into my personal restaurant rotation (which also, BTW, includes A&T Chicken, Jalisco, Chinese, Chick-Fil-A, and Panera, among others).

2. Josh says:

I went to Xenia for lunch today. I had a lamb kebab w/ tzatziki and fries. It was tasty, but like Jeremy said, it wasn’t exactly “mouthwatering.”

I think Dave’s Gyros are way overrated, so I thought this tasted better than one of those. :-)

There was a lebanese place in my college town w/ freshly made pitas. They always arrived to the table inflated and steaming hot. Very chewy and soft. I’ve had similar pitas in DC. Xenia’s pitas were somewhat thin and crispy.

The owner asked me how I heard about the restaurant. I said I read about it on a local blog and he said “hburgnews?” I said yes and he said a few others credited this blog with telling them about it.

I suggested he post his menu on golookon.

All in all, this place is a great addition to the Harrisonburg dining scene.

I’m definitely checking this out when I get back into town.

4. ivelostmyshadow says:

I’ve been to Xenia three times. All three times my order was messed up, but the food was good enough and the guy at the counter was nice enough to justify returning.

I went here to meet up with my dad for lunch today… and it was closed!

Apparently Xenia is closed every Tuesday. Why not Sunday or Monday?

6. carriew says:

I was in the other day and had the pyramid and fries. I loved it, and the boardwalk fries are the best. My friend Brad had a gyro and he said it was great too. Nice people. Good prices. Cool place. I’m going back again soon.

I was there the other day as well. Good stuff… Although the guy did forget the fries I ordered.

8. ALADIN says:

STARTOUT BIZ TEA/HOOKAH CAFE AND NOT LIPTON TEAS LIKE OTHER PLACES IN TOWN I WOULD LIKE TO TAKE A SERVEY OF WHAT PEOPLE WOULD LIKE TO HAVE IN THIS AREA ANYONE THAT CAN HELP ME GET THIS GOING I WOULD GREATLY APPRITIATE IT PLEASE EMAIL ME AT FLYINGCARPETCAFE@AOL.COM WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS THANK YOU