H’burg Happenings – Early November

Brent Finnegan -- October 31st, 2006

IN RECENT NEWS:

New stuff opening/relocating downtown in the next few months: Midtown Market, Blue Nile, Downtown 56, Earth & Tea Cafe.

And two stories I didn’t see missed in the local media… NBC 12 is reporting that Schneider National is looking for 90 new drivers in this area, and says there’s a major shortage of truck drivers nationwide… Even though I don’t notice any shortage of trucks when I’m on 81. Also this.

And Rockingham County recently bought CityView, planning/development software from Canadian software company Municipal Software. Not sure for what price, or how this will help/impact development in the county, though.

Also, eightyone magazine is taking a survey of Valley readers–what issues you think are important, not important, etc. You can take the survey online.

UPCOMING EVENTS:

Nov 1 – 5: Arsenic & Old Lace will be performed live at the CST.

Nov 2: Gay Marriage debate at Cole Hall on the BC campus at 7:30. Free & open to the public.

Nov 2 – 5: the MR Library is having a book sale. Details at their website.

Tuesday, November 7: VOTE! (but read this before you do)

Nov 8: Bluegrass show featuring Nothin Fancy and Red River Rollercoaster at the Old HHS. 7pm.

Nov 9: Free show at Taylor Down Under featuring Arum Rae.

Nov 9 – 12: The Science of Sleep is playing at the CST.

Two shows on Nov 10: One at Club Sandwich on South High featuring Maps & Atlases (cancelled), Branchdweller Summercamp, and North… The other at Captain Tee’s featuring Olympia, Kaddisfly, Murphy’s Kids, Albuquerque, and Sayward Lawrence.

November 11: Jayne Cortez and the Firespitters are at Wilson Hall.

for more local events, check the University Program Board, EMU Events, worthless, Harrisonburg Tourism and GoLookOn.

7 Responses to “H’burg Happenings – Early November”

1. Josh says:

Does anyone know anything about the Mid Town Market? Is it a convenience store? A small grocery store?

David, you care to answer that question?

3. Daytonres says:

Rockingham County paid $338,000 for the software. BTW, WSVA ran the trucking story on Monday morning. Schneider’s PR team actually put out a press release sometime last week if I am not mistaken about needing the drivers.

Yeah, Kelly Jasper also told me that the DNR reported on that Schneider story… I have a dozen or so local news-related RSS feeds, and can’t always remember where I read what. Usually all local media report on the same stories, and occasionally some slip through the cracks or get reported a day late (like the Padilla story).

If I can beat ’em to it, I will.

Still waiting on a response from David regarding the market…

5. maryloohoo says:

Well, if you would check more thoroughly, you would see the local media doesn’t cover things your pithy site doesn’t cover. No wonder you are having to correct yourself so much. make sure you know what you are talking about before you post, honey! Blog about something meaningful and informative and stop telling me what everyone DOESN”T have. If I want to listen to WSVA, I will. If I want to read the DNR, I will. At least they are more professional and hold to some sort of standards, honey.

I can think of someone that should research what she’s talking about before she goes making random accusations on blogs…

7. maryloohoo says:

Just following your accusational lead, honey!