H’burg Happenings

TM -- February 19th, 2007

Hope everyone has thawed out. Here’s some stuff going on around town.

First of all, finnegan passed along two local blogs he noticed recently.

kellyjasper.com is the blog of a DNR reporter. Guess her name! You can read her stories from the paper and life in general around the ‘burg.

My Friend Alan is Harrisonburg resident Andy’s anecdotal humor blog where he muses on subjects ranging from how pop music is helping us evolve to positive buoyancy and drunk sea captains.

The Little Grill is consistently updating their newsblog. Check it out for lunch specials and special events at The LGC.

I stumbled upon The Photograph, a news-through-photos blog by Augusta Co. resident Nathan Combs. Lots of car accident shots. I know this isn’t an Augusta Co. blog, but I think it’s pretty interesting stuff.

Secondly, new business alert downtown. According to the HDR’s newsletter, Essence Urban Boutique is at 377 N. Mason St. Open Tues-Sat and has “urban fashions, hip-hop, R&B and Reggaeton CDs, scented oils, handbags, jewelry, and more.” Also, SERVARE Solutions backup and recovery biz moves from the Incubator to 125 W. Bruce St.

UPCOMING EVENTS:

Thurs Feb 22: Virginia-native Larry Keel and Natural Bridge mix traditional bluegrass with contemporary mountain music. Court Square Theater. 7:30 PM.

Friday Feb 23-Sat 24: Want to see the Best Picture winner before Sunday’s Oscars? Check out The Departed at Grafton-Stovall Theater at JMU at 7 or 10PM either day.
The same weekend, check out the British comedy Driving Lessons at Court Square Theater. 8PM Fri and Sat. and 2:30 PM Sunday. Also, EMU is showing Bobby and The Holiday at the Science Center.

Fri Feb. 23: Bring your little ones to UREC for Kid’s Night Out, 5:30-9:30 p.m. for rock-wall climbing, swimming and games for children ages 6 to 12; $17 fee includes pizza. Register by noon Thurs Feb 22.

Saturday Feb 24: Bowl For Kids Sake benefiting the Harrisonburg-Rockingham Big Brothers Big Sisters at Valley Lanes on South Main from 8AM to 5PM. If you’re not already on a team, it’s probably pretty easy to find/support one.
The same day, the JMU men’s basketball team has their last home game of the season against Hofstra. 7PM at the Convo Center. The currently undefeated women’s team have their final home game March 1.

Sunday Feb 25: Step Afrika at JMU’s Memorial Hall. 7PM. For more info contact JMU’s UPB.

Monday Feb 26: One-man band One AM Radio is playing at JMU. For more info e-mail haugangl@jmu.edu.
The same night at 7:30pm Beth Holloway Twitty, Natalee Holloway’s mother speaks about her missing daughter and her experiences in Aruba at Cole Hall at Bridgewater College.

Fri March 2 and Sat March 3: CST’s annual Comedy Fest.

Saturday March 3: Ralph Stanley plays Wilson Hall. 7:30 PM.

Looking ahead: Grammy nominated rapper Lupe Fiasco will Kick, Push his way into JMU’s Wilson Hall on March 20th. Blacks Run Cleanup Day is April 14th. Genre-bending country artists and Grammy nominees The Duhks play Court Square Theater on April 26th.

If I missed anything, feel free to add it in the comments. – TM

14 Responses to “H’burg Happenings”

Thanks for the update, TM.

I’ve been a fan of My Friend Alan since I discovered it a few weeks ago. Depending on your tastes, the anecdotal humor falls somewhere between Garrison Keillor, Dave Barry, and Jack Handy.

2. I am so pleased to hear about My Friend Alan. The genius behind this queried me years ago — before anyone blogged — about this. How perfect that technology has granted us a place where we can all read all about Alan.

3. David Troyer says:

No feed on the LGC site? lame… get with the times, eh?

I emailed Billy about that. It’s not their fault, it’s blogger’s fault. I encouraged them to drop blogger and try wordpress.

5. Josh says:

The LGC has had a feed for a long time now:

How did you find that link? I never saw a feed on there… am I blind?

7. David Troyer says:

Thanks Josh. Someone must have done some heavy blogger editing and took the link out of the header.

8. Adam Sharp says:

If I’m not mistaken, all of Blogger’s blogs have the same basic pattern for their feeds:

http://blog address/atom.xml

9. Kelly Jasper says:

Thanks for the link! So I admit kellyjasper.com isn’t the most creative. But what can I say, the obvious also proved to be the most transparent. Thanks for reading.

10. infolkus says:

Speaking of blind (a few comments back), I must be too – I can’t find any info about Step Afrika being at JMU. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Hi, Kelly.

infolkus, here’s the press release I got from the UPB a few weeks ago. I don’t know why it’s not on their website.

12. Josh says:

Finnegan:

I just made an educated guess (like Adam suggested). Most blogs have feeds nowadays if you look around for them. :-)

13. andy says:

I was hoping to tell my friend Alan that the blog I am writing about us was gaining attention. But I can’t because he’s unconscious in the hospital after an injury he sustained during another one of his immortality experiments. I swear that hobby is going to kill him.

I just think it’s amazing that Alan survived childhood.