local web stats

Brent Finnegan -- February 20th, 2007

Today NLS had a post about the most popular blogs in Virginia (republitarian ranked #10 and DWJ was #8 on his list). I was curious about other local sites, so I checked Alexa and found these rankings*

JMU – 28,536
Bridgewater College –
283,679
WHSV – 334,468
DNR – 371,726
The Breeze – 427,176
GoLookOn – 509,467
EMU –
548,743
BRCC –
684,102
H’burg city website – 1,749,950
WSVA – 2,733,752
The New Dominion –
3,076,542 (technically based in W’boro)
Republitarian – 4,749,783
RoCo website –
4,852,893

Of course, hburgnews isn’t even on there. Apparently I have to register with dmoz.org first. *NOTE: Tom at the DNR says the Alexa stats are inaccurate, and points out that they don’t jibe with Google Directory stats. See his comment below.

I couldn’t get stats for anything blogspot.com or k12.va.us or for our craigslist, because it only goes by overall traffic to the domain name, and somehow I doubt that our little craigslist ranks #38 on the world wide web.

Feel free to analyze/scrutinize these stats. Like, why was there a huge spike in JMU’s web traffic in 2004/2005?

-finnegan

22 Responses to “local web stats”

A SWAG on JMU’s spike, or anyone’s for that matter: A spike can sometimes indicate, yearly, when a site begins using a new web-based application; monthly, when, registration or vacation sign-up takes place; weekly, when a particular virus is active; or, daily, when someone sneaks something onto the site they shouldn’t and how long before someone takes it down.

SWAG, eh? Scientific Wild-Ass Guess? Practically every time you post a comment, I learn a new word.

Here’s another thought: If WSVA would just re-design their website, they would easily be up there with the DNR and TV3, and they could make more money from online ads. I don’t understand why they don’t re-design it. Makes no sense.

3. David Troyer says:

December 17, 2004. JMU wins the 2004 NCAA Division I-AA Football Championship.

Duh.

4. Del Marvel says:

I’ve often wondered why WSVA doesn’t start some sort of online forum that’s connected to candid comment and the rest of their local call in shows.

Good call, David. I’ll bet you’re right.

Isn’t that what Republitarian is? ;)

I just added BC & BRCC… Can you think of any other high-traffic local site I’m missing?

7. Mary Lou says:

WSVA has so many page views because people keep going back and say “is it really this bad? I guess so! No, wait! Let me check it again! Ok, it is bad. but let me check once again to make sure. Oh My God, it is horrible.”

Try a website for 2007, not 1997, honey!

8. Josh says:

Maybe also of interest–

Technorati blog rankings:

republitarian #97035

the new dominion #163966

hburgnews #316598

I never saw that ranking. I registered hburgnews with technorati maybe a month or two ago. Yesterday I registered with dmoz.org. I guess they’ll email me If hburgnews gets accepted.

10. Tom says:

I’m surprised that you used Alexa as a gauge for site metrics based on the fact that someone has to have the Alexa toolbar or run a browser like Netscape for a site to even be recorded. This tends to make their rankings rather skewed. For instance, DNRonline.com currently serves up over 1.2 million page views on a monthly basis. A better measure for ranking can be found at google.com.

Try this link for news and media:

Or this link for Virginia Newspapers:

This should give you a better idea of actual site rankings.

Like I said in the post, “Feel free to analyze/scrutinize these stats.”

I knew about the Alexa toolbar, but wasn’t aware of the difference between Google stats and Alexa stats. FWIW, Technorati also uses Alexa stats on their blog profiles.

How could WVPT have a higher ranking than TV3?

And what in the world is Singer Magazine?

From the Google PageRank info: “In essence, Google interprets a link from page A to page B as a vote, by page A, for page B.”

So, apparently, I’ve been “voting” for the DNR quite a bit on hburgnews.

13. Tom says:

Not having the specific analytics from WVTP in front of me, my guess is one of the factors are quality of link-ins. You can find WVPT directly from PBS.org:

To help demystify how google ranks, this is an interesting article: http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/6-10-2005-71368.asp

14. Hey Del, I own candidcomment.com and .net…think we could make some $$$ running an online version?

15. Barnabas says:

When my sister started to develope her voice an instructor of hers in Ireland told her to get Singer Magazine. Which is based out of Harrisonburg V.A. of all places. So apparently Singer Magazine is a world renouned magazine for singers.

I can’t even open the website for Singer Magazine. Can you?

17. Tom says:

You get redirected to a CMS login, not a good sign.

Here’s something interesting:

and

as you can see, results vary depending on how you access the site.

Tom, while you’re here, I might as well ask, why does the DNR send different stories to different domain addresses? There’s dnronline.com, rocktownweekly.com, server1.dnronline.com, dailynews-record.com, harisonburglive.com, thevalleyaflame.com, ect. And often stuff gets put on the rocktownweekly address that has nothing to do with rocktown.

What’s the purpose of doing that?

19. Tom says:

In a nutshell, we don’t. Everything from the Daily-News Record is posted under DNRonline.com and everything from rocktownweekly.com is published under their name. However because all of the sites currently reside under the same directory, they are all interchangable because all the DNSs are pointing to the same IP. This will be changing in the future.

Thanks for the response.

Some of those DNSs seem odd to me. harrisonburgnews.com I can understand, but thevalleyaflame.com? Weird.

21. Tom says:

Not so weird, we did an extensive story on the civil war titled The Valley Aflame. To view the online version go here:

22. Ryan says:

Alexa is not an accurate resource. As I understand it, you must download the Alexa toolbar into your internet browser. Then you must go to a website using the toolbar, not the usual field on your browser. I assume there is not a statistically significant portion of internet users that go through the trouble of doing this. Also, it slows down your computer because it acts like spyware, even though it is harmles to your computer. A few experiments with the site proved I could greatly effect a website’s rankings by accessing them through Alexa over a period of a few weeks.