downtown farmers’ market opens Saturday

Brent Finnegan -- April 5th, 2007

The Downtown Harrisonburg Farmers’ Market begins another 8-month run this Saturday in the parking lot across from the DNR, off Liberty. Last year they moved out of the Water Street parking deck due to ongoing renovations (I’m guessing the tower/platform was not an option).

I’m told the farmers prefer the lot to the deck, anyway. The municipal lot is the new “permanent” home for the market. As David states in the comments below, they’re planning to build a pavilion there, starting sometime later this year.

The market is open 7am to 1pm every Tuesday and Saturday. They have a new website up, with more info coming soon. Here’s a smattering of articles from last year about the market from The Breeze, WMRA, and the DNR.

14 Responses to “downtown farmers’ market opens Saturday”

1. writergirl says:

Can’t wait! Wish it could be in the deck, but I’m still excited!

2. David says:

FYI, The farmer’s market has received a $100,000 grant from a former citizen of Harrisonburg. They will be using it to finance a $300,000 pavilion in the Municipal lot that will host 40 vendor stalls and a main area for musicians/entertainers. This will be followed by the city’s plan to build a stage/outdoor amphitheater (much smaller than this would lend you to believe but still a great place for things like MacRock! They hope to break ground at the end of this years season (ie November).

3. Thanh says:

Definately excited about the Farmer’s Market returning this year. Yummm.

4. Donovan says:

I have been anxiously awaiting this event. I’m new to the area and can’t wait to explore.

5. Mountain says:

Well, for a snowy, COLD Saturday morning, there sure was a lot of activity at the farmers’ market! They’re open until 1PM so in care you read this in time — get down there.
    Plenty of vendors with greens, baked goods, organic meat and eggs, home-made soup, cut flowers, plants, and more. Good to have you back, farmers!

Ditto. I’m eating the eggs I bought there just moments ago.

Bitterly cold and windy out there, though.

7. Frank Witt says:

When is the market open? I saw people there last year but never got out to attend.

Thanks

8. Mountain says:

The Farmers’ Market is Open Tuesdays and Saturdays, 7AM-1PM.

9. Frank Witt says:

do they have fresh tomatoes ?

I didn’t see any, but they might. A lot of it is seasonal produce.

11. Frank Witt says:

Ahhh, thank you. I thought maybe they “bought and brought” stuff (veggies) as well.

12. Frank J Witt says:

went this morning and saw my neighbor Todd singing and strumming his guitar…

Also bought a NICE potted tomato plant along with 2 smaller tomato plants and a green pepper plant. If you saw me and I didn’t say hi I apologize but I’m a little awkward in a big group. I love having a farmers market in town !

The market was rocking this morning!! I bought three whoopee pies, salad mix, three zucchini, radishes, rhubarb, green onions, beautiful cherries, blueberries, green onions, carrots and peas all for less than $30 and much tastier than buying them anywhere else. We also saw a bee hive and an adorable kitten (who was looking for a home). It seems as though there are a lot more vendors than last year and everyone has such beautiful stuff. A lot more people are shopping there too.