bikes & bikes

Brent Finnegan -- April 30th, 2007

The big Tour of Virginia bike race went around and around downtown Harrisonburg 35 times Saturday afternoon. The reason I wasn’t there was because I was busy taking the motorcycle training course at BRCC. It was great. Highly recommended for novices such as myself.

If you made it out to the bicycle race, how was it? Apparently there were 3,000 spectators in all.

8 Responses to “bikes & bikes”

1. Justin says:

Another biker! Be safe out there.

2. Thanh says:

Saturday’s Bike Race was one of most enjoyable community(-wide) events I’ve been to in Harrisonburg. There were tons of people spread out between the Monument (where Liberty & Main Streets come together) through downtown to Elizabeth Street. Dave’s Taverna closed off the parking lot in front of their place with fencing, set up some tables, and served cold beverages – that was a plus for some of the spectators who could enjoy a beer or two, or three, and watch the bikers rush by in front of them. I stopped by and talked to some of the vendors on Court Square who included Midtowne Market, Friendly City Co-Op, and Harrisonburg Tourism, but the most enjoyable thing was seeing all the people out, friends and strangers alike, having such a great time. Its awesome that the Tour of Virginia organizers wanted to hold one of their events in Harrisonburg, and I think Harrisonburg did a good job of showing them that they made a good decision…

… Now I’m itching to get back on my bike. If you’re itching to ride too, check out the Shenandoah Mountain Bike Club’s website (http://www.shenandoahmountainbikeclub.com/) for weekly bike events. Tomorrow, Tuesday, is the Ladies Ride and its specifically geared for beginners on the first Tuesday of the month. I’m joing them tomorrow for the ride on the beginner trails at Hillandale Park (meet at 5:30pm at the Shenandoah Bicycle Company or shortly thereafter at the front entrance of Hillandale Park – there riding their bikes over.)

Sounds like good times. I made it to the very end of last year’s race. I don’t think the turnout was as big last year.

Is the FC2 Co-Op operational already? I thought they were still looking for funding and a building.

4. Thanh says:

No the Friendly City Co Op are not yet operational. They’re still building their membership/ownership. For more info: http://fc2.has.it

This was an old article from the DNR: http://www.dnronline.com/search_details.php?AID=8248&CHID=11&author=&channelid=11&key=&title=

5. Really cool thing to watch! Except for one thing….I could hardly make it back down to my store that afternoon because all the streets were closed.

6. Yes, I’m whining….

7. David Troyer says:

I’ll go ahead and plug the Shenandoah Valley Bike Club and their wednesday rides. These leave at 5:15pm from Harrisonburg High School on Garbers Church Road. People of all abilities show up and it is generally a very relaxed pace through the countryside.

Christa

We all did a little whining of our own that day, mine came from wanting a sweater.