EMU, Falwell on global warming

Brent Finnegan -- May 15th, 2007

Today the BBC has a story comparing two Virginia Christian colleges’ teachings on global warming.

Jerry Falwell (Liberty University) says, “The jury is still out on global warming,” and students reportedly take his word as gospel truth. Meanwhile, “at Eastern Mennonite University, in Harrisonburg, Virginia, concern about the environment is so high that the college has employed a full-time recycling officer and assistant.” EMU president Loren Swartzendruber says, “There is a massive and mounting body of scientific evidence that global warming is a reality.”

133 Responses to “EMU, Falwell on global warming”

1. Geez, zen.

If I took the time to correct everything wrong you’ve said on Candid Comment, they could devote a week of radio programming to that end.

2. zen says:

Hey Dave…the sentiment is mutual.
    But in the case of global warming you’ve made statements that either deny it all together, and yet also say it is happening, but it isn’t being impacted by human activity. So which one do you prefer to be wrong about, both it seems.

3. I think I’ve been fairly clear…

4. I think I’ve been fairly clear…

5. zen says:

Well, I guess you’re certainly entitled to think that….but it doesn’t make it so.

6. Sorry zen, for some reason WordPress didn’t place my entire comment in either time.

Hopefully it will this time.

I have been consistent and clear.

—Temp rise over the past century is less than ONE degree.

—Human activity accounts for perhaps .4 PERCENT of greenhouse gas emissions

—Global warming is merely a cyclical weather cycle, hence, explain the change in climate prior to man’s existence.

—Global warming ain’t the catastrophic event you and your allies make it out to be.

7. Barnabas says:

Dave,
    as I’ve said I don’t believe in “Global Warming”. I’m curious if there is anything that the global warming community wants or thinks people should do that you are opposed to. I really am truely curious. Because I don’t think it’s worth fighting over wether it exists, if you agree that the changes should take place regardless. I agree with the agenda but not the reasons behind it. Does that make any sense?

8. Del Marvel says:

“I’m not going to stand up here and defend our failure to lead. There has to be a green conservatism.

Newt Gingrich on global warming

9. Del Marvel says:

You’re making a logically unjustified extrapolation to conclude that “the Aussies now stand against the global warming nutjobs.” An Australian television network is showing one controversial documentary. By the way, are you including Newt Gingrich when you write about “nutjobs”?

10. Del Marvel says:

For example, by your logic one could post this article from the same Australian network and say: ” The Aussies now believe global warming is a serious threat that must be dealt with immediately:

Fin, The Dodger does not recycle.

12. Benny Neal says:

I’m sure you all have heard this,but don’t you believe the
    weather has 100 yr 500 yr cycles ?(and so on) I would think
    one would have to look at the weather pattern’s over a
    1000 years.

13. Del Marvel says:

They’ve examined ice cores from Antarctica and found that atmospheric carbon dioxide is the highest in 650,000 years.

14. Frank witt says:

Del, doesn’t that make sense though? If more people are needed more materials, more buildings, more cars, more EVERYTHING, then even someone as blind as I am, can figure that the levels would increase each year.

I can also bet you 650,000 years ago, there was not much going on around here, thus little carbon dioxide…

MORE PEOPLE = MORE POLLUTION. Air, water, ground, noise…you name it.

15. zen says:

Wow…erratic global weather patterns. Well, I guess that proves global warming is a hoax.

16. Del Marvel says:

Actually, that article CONFIRMS global warming theories. With rising temperatures and more water vapor available, you
    have bigger and more frequent precipitation events, such as snowstorms at higher elevations.

17. zen says:

Yeah Del. I knew that, but that logic apparently escapes some people.

18. Hey zen,

Do you purchase carbon credits for your commute from Staunton to Harrisonburg?

19. Del Marvel says:

Even if Zen is driving 500 miles a day it has nothing to do with whether or not global warming is real and nothing to do with your implicit argument that the weather on Pike’s Peak proves global warming isn’t real. Criticizing the actions of one making a point is a logical fallacy.

20. You’re kidding me, Del. You mean driving one’s car has absolutely nothing to do with “global warming”.

I didn’t criticize anyone’s actions, I merely asked if he purchased carbon credits to offset the amount of greenhouse gas emissions caused by his commute between Staunton and Harrisonburg.

But then, you appear to be writing that individuals who drive 500 miles a day don’t contribute to this global calmity you envision.

21. chuck norris says:

I would also be interested in hearing an answer to Barnabas’ question:
    “Dave, …. I’m curious if there is anything that the global warming community wants or thinks people should do that you are opposed to.”

and I agree with the point he makes:
    “I don’t think it’s worth fighting over wether (sic) it exists, if you agree that the changes should take place regardless.” echoing Thanh’s statement “regardless of whether you or I believe in climate change or not, there is no reason why we can’t change/improve our behaviors to decrease pollution.”

“you appear to be writing that individuals who drive 500 miles a day don’t contribute to this global calmity (sic) you envision.”
    …not really, it appears to me that he’s writing “Even if Zen is driving 500 miles a day it has nothing to do with whether or not global warming is real” in other words, Zen’s actions are not proof of the existence or non-existence of global warming.

“Criticizing the actions of one making a point is a logical fallacy.”
    good point.

22. Frank Witt says:

Hey all, I hate to get the heatback up on this subject but I need some info…

Where can I get a few rainbarrels locally. I realized what a waste it s to be using perfectly (HA) good tap water to spray my flowers.

23. A quote from Michael Crichton, author of the Andromeda Strain:

“Let’s be clear: the work of science has nothing whatever to do with consensus. Consensus is the business of politics. Science, on the contrary, requires only one investigator who happens to be right, which means that he or she has results that are verifiable by reference to the real world. In science consensus is irrelevant. What is relevant is reproducible results. The greatest scientists in history are great precisely because they broke with the consensus.”

Michael Crichton, creator of the TV show, “ER.” Because that’s who you want telling you what science is. Remember the episode where Maura Tierney dove into Lake Michigan? That’ll warm some globes.

Breaking with the consensus is all well and good if it’s done for reasons of principle and courage. Doing it because you’re a consultant for the hydrocarbon industry is another issue.

25. Frank Witt says:

How did I know this would happen?

Thanks for the info on the barrels…

Frank,

Not locally, but there are several good sites on line. The extension office may know, or a landscaper with a greenward bent.

27. Frank Witt says:

Thanks JGF…I found the ones on google but prefer to shop locally…I’ll check with the places that sell mulch.

Thanks again !

28. Tina says:

Apparently an administrator from NASA was on NPR’s “Morning Edition” yesterday and questioned whether global warming was much of a concern. This morning NPR spoke with other scientists who criticized him for his lack of concern on the issue.

Both reports can be heard at http://www.npr.org