“I wanted to give up, but I tried my best.”

Brent Finnegan -- May 29th, 2007

In today’s Washington Post, there’s an article on the nonsensical practice of testing schoolchildren in a language they can’t read, currently underway in Harrisonburg. According to the story, a lot of those kids are filling in bubbles at random: “Virginia’s reading scores won’t be made public until August, but local educators predict that many English learners will fail.”

9 Responses to ““I wanted to give up, but I tried my best.””

1. Barnabas says:

I can’t find online pratice tests anywhere.
    And I can’t find if practice tests are made available to the students prior to the test date.
    I would think making the test or an alternate version available would be a great tool to help kids prepare.

That would presume that the tests are designed to be passed by ESL students. Do you believe this is anything other than an attempt by GW & Co. to divide and conquer by stoking such racial issues to pull attention away from the true agenda?

3. Justin says:

There is no public available testing “website” to go to. SOL practice test applications on RCPS school computers are available in every lab on every computer. It’s up to the provider or the SOL test, Pearson in this case, to make practice materials available.

Pearson was also the reason for all the testing outages during SOL testing.

4. Justin says:

Edit: “provider OF the SOL test”.

Sorry.

5. Justin says:

I stand corrected.

Here is Rockingham County’s Standards of Learning page.

6. Umm…can we put these kids in an ESL class, have them learn the language for a few years, THEN test them in English?

How can we test a kid’s SOL scores in reading, which is part of “English” class, if they haven’t been taught to speak english???

How do you test someone’s English reading skills in a different language?

7. Daytonres says:

Why doesn’t the government, local or federal, cut a deal with Rosetta Stone? If I am not mistaken the military already has a contract with them. The program is supposed to be able to teach you any language in a matter of weeks. The cost of employing an ESL teacher would far outweigh the cost of some software I would think. Maybe the above is oversimplification, but what we are doing now is not working.

8. writergirl says:

That might not be a bad idea Daytonres. I’m not sure how their courses are geared. I know my boss took one and was very impressed. They had a display in the children’s museum for a while so they must think that children could use them. You might still need some teachers to make sure the kids were doing the program. I can’t imagine the children in my sons Kindergarten class sitting still to do it, but it might work very well for older children. Certainly worth looking into I’d think.