trail or route?

Brent Finnegan -- June 22nd, 2007

A few days ago, the DNR ran a story about the new bike trail called the Parkview Connector, which is supposed to link EMU with “the city’s core.”

A few readers have emailed me, wondering if I knew exactly where the trails are supposed to be. As far as I can tell, the “trails” are more like routes, really. They just follow less-traveled streets in the city. This old map is the most recent one I could find, showing the proposed routes with short pathway connectors through right-of-ways. Like the article says, this plan dates back to 1994, and changes every year. The way I understand it, it’s more of a 20-year plan.

bike trail

Thanks to Thanh for the photo.

9 Responses to “trail or route?”

1. Frank Witt says:

Hey Thanh, thanks for the photo!

2. David Troyer says:

There are some actual bike paths as people may envision them. It follows chicago ave south from greystone, and Thanh’s picture is where it veers off of chicago.

3. David Troyer says:

hmmm… or is that the opposite side?

DT, are those paths very long? I have not traversed them yet, but looking at the old map, it appears to not be very long. But maybe it is…

5. Marcus says:

I don’t have a copy handy, but I believe the physical DNR had a map of the trail on it. Maybe you can track one down and scan it? I’m looking forward to seeing more trails come closer to downtown so I can get to work safely!

6. Thanh says:

Actually, the photo was taken by one of my colleagues at the Public Works Department. (I’m not exactly sure who took the picture or I would credit them by name here.) Anyway, here’s more detail on the City Bicycle Plan from 2005. http://www.ci.harrisonburg.va.us/index.php?id=558 . Along with that, here’s the 2005 City Pedestrian Plan http://www.ci.harrisonburg.va.us/index.php?id=895 . And 2004 City Comprehensive Plan http://www.ci.harrisonburg.va.us/index.php?id=896 . Thought some of you may be interested in reviewing these documents, and may not have known of their availability. Enjoy.

7. Thanh says:

This story from WHSV. It discusses the newly constructed section of the Park View Connector bike route and features Councilman Charlie Chenault describing the City’s future plans and such for a more bicycle friendly community. Pretty cool. http://www.whsv.com/home/headlines/8148507.html . There is also a video clip available on the WHSV website, but I can’t figure out how to link it here.

I will say I’m glad we have a cyclist on city council. I’ve seen Charlie riding around town more than once.

9. If someone could design a route from Emery Street to 498 University that was downhill both ways I would love to ride to work iin the mornings !

Thanks Thanh for the links !