City Manager

Brent Finnegan -- June 27th, 2007

No surprises here: Assistant City Manager, Kurt Hodgen, will take over as City Manager before Roger Baker retires in November.

As for Baker? I hear rumblings that he may run for city council at some point.

9 Responses to “City Manager”

1. A good point was made on WSVA today. The new guy starts July 1 but Baker retires in November. What spcial projects is he involved with that we need to pay 2 guys to do one’s job?

$137,000/year…not bad

Not bad at all.

Maybe having dual managers is the city’s way of getting things done (like the Finnigan’s alleyway) that have not been done.

3. They probably had to pay him to get out of the City Manager’s position NOW, rather than in November, to keep from doing any more damage to the City and it’s reputation.

All kidding aside, one’s VRS retirement, if that’s what the City participates in, I think is based on your last three years of employment…although deserving of it, Baker’s retirement pay may have been reduced were the City to have cut him compensation — which the refers you to the first part of my answer.

4. charles chenault says:

Finn – real short answer. We will not be hiring an assistant city manager while Roger stays so we save that expense. He will be responsible for initiating the downtown streetscape project, the farmer’s market project and the infamous bridge project. For those who are familiar with the concept, he will essentially be a clerk of the works for these projects. No deals involved – he wanted to stay and we wanted him to stay and do this.
    Thanks – Charlie

Thanks for the comment, Charlie.

Honestly, the only reason I keep harping on the Water Street-Court Square alley is that I walk that route all the time, and wanted to know what was going on with it. It was one of the reasons I started this blog.

6. And I like the info for the vested interest of moving downtown.

7. zen says:

And because of your namesake eh?

It’s funny how many people think I’m related to Donna just because of the last name. It’s actually spelled differently, but that hasn’t stopped unwitting bouncers from assuming I’m related, and letting me in without paying a cover. However, it hasn’t gotten me any free drinks yet.

9. Drew Richard says:

When I started reading this blog I thought you were related in some way, but then I finally realized it was spelled different some time later…