name changes

Brent Finnegan -- July 2nd, 2007

So, Calhoun’s is now Cally’s, because there were other Calhoun’s restaurants in Tennessee. Now The Daily Grind downtown is changing over to Old Dominion Coffee Co. & Cafe (not to be confused with Old Dominion Coffee Co of Norfolk). The other two Daily Grind locations in town are changing their names to Cool Beanz (I assume this is unaffiliated with the Cool Beanz of NY or MN).

I wonder if any of these name changes will affect business. I was in Cally’s yesterday, and it didn’t seem any less full.

63 Responses to “name changes”

Hmmm, anyone know who is running Pennybackers? I know who owns the building.

2. John says:

Emmy,

The owner’s of the building are going to be active in it’s management, but also a relative of the owners (without naming any names) is in the restaurant biz. I think that person will be involved, too.

I just wondered if the name came from the person running it. I know someone by that name who has a family member who already owns a business.

4. John says:

I think they came up with the name by doing research on the building’s history. They have no relation to any Pennybackers.

I have heard about a mini-brouhaha that someone in Dayton got in a fluff thinking they were piggybacking (or pennybacking, I suppose) the name, which was not the case at all.

Ah, well that’s what I wondered. There is a restaurant in Dayton owned by someone of that name. He’s good, so I just wondered if he was branching out.

6. Frank J Witt says:

I was sent an email saying that RT’S Chicken on University Blvd is CLOSING on Wednesday. Does anyone know this for sure and what’s up with that?

I haven’t heard anything, but I wouldn’t be surprised. Chick-fil-A opened in that part of town a year or two ago, and is pretty popular with the JMU crowd. Students even camped out in freezing weather for it, so it wouldn’t shock me if that’s hurt RT’s business.

8. TM says:

I noticed it on their sign this morning. Something like “Thanks for 5 great years! Last day Wednesday.”

9. Mark Veerman says:

I heard a rumor that Smokin’ Pig will be opening at that location. I’m not sure if it’s a move or if they are opening up a second location.

Well if that’s true then I hope its a second location!!! My co-workers and I eat at the Pig frequently.

11. Don says:

There was an ad on page three (I think) of todays DNR thanking everyone for a great five years and that the owner was going to pursue other interests. Also stated that Smokin’ Pig would be opening a second location there.

12. Frank J Witt says:

Not exactly “local” although there are numerous Starbucks outlets in town, although they do not share training…apparently the supervisors think they deserve an equal amount of tips that the baristas make. I would never think of taking part of someone elses tip, especially as an owner of the business.

I guess some corporations have different thoughts…

A San Diego Superior Court Judge ordered coffee chain Starbucks to pay $87 million plus interest to workers who say that their tips unfairly had been shared with supervisors.

For the rest of the story,please follow the link to Reuters…