immigrants deported for being seen by police?

Brent Finnegan -- July 19th, 2007

From today’s DNR: two suspected undocumented immigrants were “apprehended” (not arrested) by the HPD gang unit after police came to check out a shots fired report. The two men were turned over to ICE for possible deportation. According to the DNR, there are no shooting victims, and there is no known link between the shots fired and these men.

Sounds like we could be headed toward the sort of environment the Washington Post is reporting in Woodbridge right now.

21 Responses to “immigrants deported for being seen by police?”

1. cook says:

for the last several years here locally, this has been very officer dependent. a growing (but still small) number of local officers who want to see that the undocumented are deported have taken (and even made) opportunities to see that brown people with hyphenated last names are removed. however, the majority of officers still seem to be able to understand the collateral bad effects of local law enforcement rounding up immigrants who are not committing crimes.

Perhaps we should all take the time to have a conversation with officers to ensure that they do understand the “collateral bad effects of local law enforcement OF roudning up immigrants who are not committing crimes”.

3. Emo Boy says:

I talked to one of the officers on the scene of this crime. As they (HPD) were questioning witnesses, these two illegals would not talk (through interpreters) so basically, they told them to give up the name of the shooter or get sent back home. They chose the later. So there was no round up here, just a you help us and we don’t send you home.

4. Al From Hazleton, PA says:

did you not see where they were uncooperative and when a check of identities was conducted 1 a fugitive. How can that be a bad thing? Do you want these people to be on your streets?

5. Marty says:

Wow, I didn’t realize being an ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT was not a crime.

6. cook says:

no, marty, being an illegal immigrant is not a crime. not yet.

i do not have any knowledge of what happened at the scene and, therefore, am hesitant to comment on what the police meant when pronouncing these individuals to be “uncooperative.” however, it seems like something less than obstructing the investigation – they would’ve charged that.

“Comment from Al From Hazleton, PA
    Time: July 19, 2007, 3:51 pm

what am I or others not understanding about your lack of concer towards your city and safety?”

I think that we can all agree that if one was a fugitive then shit yeah, deport/arrest/whatever. But I think that you are missing the point and slinging mud.

8. Al From Hazleton, PA says:

Missing what point, that you think a fugitive should be protected just like illegal immigrants are protected by the ACLU? Mud only covers things up, we need law enforcement to shine the light on justice and the American Way !
    ~~

We need to show more sympathy for these people.
    They travel miles in the heat, they risk their lives crossing a border, they don’t get paid enough wages, they do jobs that others won’t do or are afraid to do, they live in crowed conditions among a people who speak a different language, they rarely see their families, and they face adversity all day every day.

I’m not talking about illegal Mexicans, I’m talking about our troops.
    Doesn’t it seem strange that the Politicians are willing to lavish all kinds of social benefits on illegals, but don’t support our troops and are now threatening to defund them?

Get lost, i told you that I wanted the fugitive arrested (kinda a no brainer that is simply wasting my time) and you ignored it. Quoting
    4:58pm by me “I think that we can all agree that if one was a fugitive then shit yeah, deport/arrest/whatever.”

5:10 pm by you”that you think a fugitive should be protected just like illegal immigrants are protected by the ACLU?”

Al, I don’t know what your connection or relevance is to Harrisonburg, but considering many of the soldiers in Iraq are Mexican immigrants, your point is rather moot. I have met at least one soldier locally who served in Iraq whose mother and father are undocumented.

11. Gxeremio says:

Al, your post gave me an idea for a new anti-war slogan: “Deport our troops (from Iraq)!”

12. Al From Hazleton, PA says:

Great idea ! Trice for me to get lost from your blog, to deport our troops form Iraq and to let those who are ignorant to suffer the fate of their ways!

Good night haters !
    PS ~ do I have to have connections to “your” town to bog…guess so…

I love productive dialogue. Gives me a warm fuzzy

14. eso says:

We need more police action like this! This is great! Are you going to denounce the MS13 gang member or just call it an “illegal immigrant support group”?

15. eso says:

Cook: I take it you are a lawyer. There is occasional talk about changing citizenship so that a child born in the US of two illegals would not be a citizen. I think I’ve even heard legislators talking about doing it via law. Now IANAL but it’s right there in the 14th admendment. Do you think it could ever be successfully reinterpreted by law like they are talking about instead of constitutional amendment?

16. Franak J Wit says:

Fin ~ I beleive this to be one of the best ways to show just how dedicated you are to the United States of America. Being a soldier or worse yet, dying as an American soldier, while trying to become a citizen is a noble effort. Whether those soldiers see “war” or not, a 4 year stint in the military should carry alot of weight towards citizenship.

Of course, that’s just my opionon…and I’m sure it wrong somewhere.

Like outgoing weatherperson Megan said this morning “The weather is nice for those that lik it and bad for those who don’t”…that is some insightful stuff right there!

Hope everyone has a great day and be sure to listen to Candid Comment for complaints from that someone special about the “baby in the dumpster” report today. Bye Bye!

Hey Christa, I forgot (and never got to ask) if y’all went to the river and the detials if you did.

17. Benny Neal says:

Frank Witt,
    I enjoy your sense of humor. “YOU’RE THE MAN”!!!

(I got it)…relevance 24 +

18. cook says:

eso,

the question you raise is an interesting one, and – yes – the apparently clear statement in the fourteenth amendment (“All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside”) is arguably not so clear (download the paper from this site http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=905570 arguing that the fourteenth amendment does not require the granting of citizenship to children born of undocumented immigrants).

before some of you get too excited, the legal opinion cited is a minority opinion, and, IMHO, a constitutional amendment would be required to change current practice.

19. Franak J Wit says:

Cook, that is an interestng read. The problem I think is that it does not state the purpose exactly, but someone has taken the time to publish what they THINK it was meant to say. If that is the way of the world, then every edition of the Bible is the right one. Very easy way to get everyone confused and riotous.

Very cool article and thanks again.

Benny ~ Stir it up YO ! ~http://unclefrank22801.blogspot.com/

HAVE A GREAT AND SUNNY WEEKEND…I’ll be back on Monday!