back when I was your age…

Brent Finnegan -- July 23rd, 2007

It’s hard for me to imagine cell phones ringing in middle school classrooms. But now everyone has them, and city school officials are threatening Saturday morning detention for kids who refuse to turn off the cell phone in class (from today’s DNR).

24 Responses to “back when I was your age…”

1. Marty says:

Sorry this is off-topic- but did anyone notice that the Harrisonburg Crossing WalMart was closed off yesterday (Sunday) due to a chemical leak or something?

Anyone know what happened?

Several bags of chemicals used in pools were opened and exposed to water. This caused a very nasty chemical reaction and toxic gas. They had to close to clean it up and air it out.

3. Marty says:

Ouch, I was surprised there wasn’t a panic in Harrisonburg when I saw the store was closed. But then I remembered there’s another one on 42.

4. Benny Neal says:

…back when I was in school, we passed notes, shot spitwads and tried to look up the girl’s dresses but now , it’s
    text messaging.

5. Franak J Wit says:

Yeah, back in the day we had to write on our hands or nate cheat sheets but now they can take pics of the test for their buddies and text answers…

BTW Benny, it was a pleasant surprise to see you lovely wife this morning at the post office. She is just like you, nice, friendly and always willing help me carry boxes to the counter. Hope you all had a great weekend.

6. Benny Neal says:

Frank Witt,
    I like your new BLOG (unclefrank22801blogspot.com) but,how
    do you make a comment?

7. Damn, my typing skills are horrible although I will blame it on this laptop or on the sherriffs office…right?

8. I think something was set up wrong but now in the NEW posts you can comment…I’ll go make some moot point and you can agree with me on it. See ya there

Why in God’s name would your kid need a cell phone at school. My principal had a great way for dealing with cell phones. He took them from us. If it rang in class or if he saw us using it, it became his property.

10. ktr001 says:

Dave, two big events pop into my mind as arguments for cell phones being allowed in school — Columbine and Va Tech. The world is just different today than it was ten years, twenty years, or even six years ago when I was in high school (eight for you, respectfully..hahah). I think I’d want my kid to have a sure-fire method, like a cell phone, to get in touch with me if they wanted too, or needed too.

I do think kids should be monitored with them, however. Someone above mentioned that kids are using them to cheat on tests, or talk to their friends during class, but cheating and kids not paying attention isn’t a phenomenon of the cell-phone era. It’s gone on forever, and if kids want to cheat, they’re going to find a way to do it, with or without cell phones. If I was a teacher, I’d have a little box on my desk and ask kids to put them in their for the duration of class, then take them when they leave. That way, if a kid doesn’t pony up the phone and it goes off in class, the list of potential suspects is much smaller.

11. Benny Neal says:

Things are always going to be changing and cell phones are
    just part of it. They need to make rules for cell phones and usage at schools.

12. Phil C. says:

My sister received a cell phone before she started 7th grade…my reaction was “why does she need a cell phone?”

Personally, I don’t see the need for a kid to have a cell phone until High School, because that’s when they get their licenses and hang out with other kids who drive, and will be “on the go” much more often.

Hell, I didn’t get a cell phone until I was 21.

13. Anonymous says:

What happened to the ‘Playgirl Politician” moniker, Mr. Neal?

I’m not knocking kids having phones. I had one in High School. I knew the value of the silent feature. We also didn’t have camera phones. So that one I haven’t really thought through. I just wanted to say that I think it is funny that they are putting kids in detention for it. If that is the least of the kids transgressions, good for the system for keeping them in check. Yay to the man!

Anonymous; luckily for everyone, he retired the name.

16. Benny Neal says:

Anonymous;
    Well, Dave Briggman has a thing about people using fake or fictitious names so, I thought why not use my real name? I will try to “appease” him.

17. Anonymous says:

I think Briggman has a thing with you using three or four different names and having conversations with yourself trying to bolster your position.

18. Frank J Witt says:

Wouldn’t that be hard to prove or are you saying this as fact?

19. Dave Briggman says:

easy to prove. If Benny won’t admit it, email Myron or me and I’ll email you the tracking logs.

Finnegan’s suggestion from pages past, IM.

Still a good suggestion.

21. Benny Neal says:

Way to beat a dead horse dave.

When you send mine – make sure you send yours, Myron’s and everyone else who has done that dasterly deed.
    Ignorance (new to blogging) was my excuse. What’s yours?

As I have stated numerous times, here and other places, I won’t subject readers who want relevant conversations to the rantings of a bitter person with a thing against me.

I simply will not reply – to you.

The comments on this thread were on topic – mine included.

You can have a hate-fest on your blog. No one wants to see that creep into legitimate conversations.

22. Frank J Witt says:

Why not just send me the links to my blog. The address is listed above. Then maybe too, Mr. Briggman, you can answer the questions there without the “anonymous” tags.

I hate that it’s come down to this, but if these ridiculous spats continue here, I will not hesitate to delete irrelevant comments. My patience has worn thin. Take these conversations and accusations to instant messenger, email, or some other blog.

24. Benny Neal says:

Finnegan,
    I’m sure you,along with everyone else, can see who starts this crap.