the DNR blogs again?

Brent Finnegan -- August 15th, 2007

Earlier this month, the DNR launched two football-related blogs featuring staff sports writers; JMU Football Camp and one for local high school football. The other three blogs — focused on vegetarian dining, bikes, and wine — remain as inactive as they have been for the last year and a half.

Why only sports? Why not give all the willing staff members their own? Why not do something more like this? Or is there a fear that the writers, if left to their own devices, may become a too critical for comfort? Or do they just not have the time?

Although this observation is a slight digression, I might as well add that I’ve noticed a trend over the last year or so: the geographical area the DNR covers has been shrinking, while the opposite is true of TV3. Granted, this is a totally unscientific claim, and I may not be able to prove it, but it seems to me that the DNR used to cover stories all over the Valley on a regular basis, but now the reporters generally stick closer to home base.

If you check TV3’s website headlines on any given day, it looks like a lot more state (AP) stuff is making it in there than it used to. Today, for example, they have an entire page devoted to the Michael Vick case.

Note that I’m not making a value statement one way or the other. I’m just saying it’s odd.

8 Responses to “the DNR blogs again?”

Not odd at all, shrinking advertising budgets equal shrinking coverage. In addition to this, supposedly the DNR has (I haven’t cared to investigate) publications specifically aimed at geographical locations not covered in the standard DNR. I only know this because the ad reps tout their “extended” coverage that is micro instead of their previous macro approach.

sorry i meant shrinking advertising revenue

The ad reps are probably referring to little hyper-localized publications they bought years ago, like the North Fork Journal. The NFJ used to be a tiny indie paper based out of Broadway, covering happenings in northern Rockingham. In the mid-90s, I knew Carter and all the folks who worked there.

Now (if it still exists) the NFJ consists primarily of local-related stories previously published in the DNR.

Fantastic, that’s why I love HBurg. People actually talking about local stuff, many times before the DNR even knows about the events.

5. Kai says:

The NFJ came out today, or yesterday, as an insert in the DNR!

6. Tom says:

You could just ask me. The veggie blog was a one time deal that went with a story, the bike blog lasted wile the person who was doing it worked for us, when she left, so did th blog updates. As for the wine blog, it was a pet project of mine I put together with the wine guide. It never seemed to get much in the way of traffic or comments so I discontinued it. It’s not easy to get soneone to commit to doing a blog, most of the writers are already very busy and can’t really dedicate the time to one. Blogs also tend to burn people out. SO there ya have it. Not much of a mystery.

It seems to me like none of those three gave it a long enough try to really gain a following.

Have any other writers there ever expressed an interest in blogging?

8. Tom says:

Yes. The sports writers. :-)