gang co-opts love symbol?

Brent Finnegan -- August 18th, 2007

This isn’t specifically Harrisonburg-related, but with all the hubbub over gangs around here, I figure it’s relevant enough…

Judging from the recent actions of the Virginia Tourism Corporation, one might think that a Chicago-based gang called the Black Gangster Disciples owns the sole rights to making a heart symbol with your hands. When I see this, a gang in Chicago is not necessarily the first thing that comes to my mind, but VATC has seen fit to yank the image of the girl making a heart symbol with her hands from their latest ad campaign, because they don’t want people to think they’re promoting gangs.

Whew. Good thing they cleared that up.

9 Responses to “gang co-opts love symbol?”

Doesn’t that just add to the gangs power? As for the ad, I actually like the one without the heart better…but that’s not the point!

My thoughts exactly.

It’s fear of gangs gone wild.

3. cook says:

rather than cede territory and symbols to the gangs, perhaps we should co opt their symbols and reclaim our territory. hereafter, I propose that we all throw hand signs to one another (any letter will do – C or B or M are good, or H for hburgnews) and paint “hburgnews.com” on buildings we own throughout town.

Sounds good to me. Why should I have to shamelessly advertise the blog if the readers are willing to do it?

Speaking of gangs and paint, who painted this?

I don’t know, but your comment under your picture of the Lake Taekwondo makes me laugh every time I see it.

Sorry, I’m easily distracted :)

6. I have enough grafiti on my buildings walls, thank you very much. If I come up with hburgs news on my building, I know where cook works. :)

7. Tim says:

Fin, that picture is awesome and true on some level.

8. Tom says:

The swastika is also a very ancient symbol and seen very often in Japanese Mons, the fact is, no matter what you want it to mean, or it originally meant, the interpretation will always be whatever the current society interprets it to mean.

Want to eradicate it? Eradicate the group that has made the perversion of the symbol mainstream.

9. Bell says:

Speaking of the WTF sign, i just added a pic of the old sign to the pool.