freshmen move in this week

Brent Finnegan -- August 20th, 2007

As reported on WSVA, JMU has split freshman arrival dates between tomorrow and Wednesday to help cut down on congestion.

The construction on South Main isn’t due to be cleared up before Wednesday.

22 Responses to “freshmen move in this week”

1. Crow says:

Please pardon the off topic nature of this post.
    I am wondering if anyone else has noticed the new sign in front of the new pharmacy on route 42 north of town. Flashing red words, speeding by in a bad Times Square fashion are polluting one of the sweetest views in the valley. Commercial Pollution in the fashion of unregulated Houston TX is something I had hoped would stay away from our valley. I guess one person’s right to advertise outweighs my(our) right to not have tasteless eyesores thrust into view. If the owners of the new pharmacy, were to reconsider and remove the offensive sign, they would certainly be far more likely to see my smiling face at their counter.
    Thank you for indulging me.

That pharmacy is right by my house and the man who owns it goes to my church. Personally all the new townhouses that they keep building, even though they aren’t selling, is more offensive. I know what you mean though. Perhaps you should stop in an talk to him about it. I don’t mind the sign, I just wish it moved a little slower.

3. linz says:

I live there too and also find the sign annoying. I will join with you in going to that pharmacy if they get a less invasive sign. Between that and the motorcyle shop groupies revving engines after business hours, the area has lost is visual appeal as well as its peace and quiet.

4. Del Marvel says:

I thought that at one time it was against the law in Harrisonburg to have signs that incorporated flashing lights. I was told the flashing Kline’s Dairy Bar sign was a grandfathered exception. If you’re motivated, you could look into whether this is true or not, and if so, whether the law was ever changed.

5. Del Marvel says:

All right, I looked into it myself. According to the Harrisonburg Municipal code :

“No flashing signs shall be permitted in any district”

A flashing sign is defined as “An illuminated sign on which the artificial or reflected light is not maintained stationary and constant in intensity and color at all times when in use.”

6. Del Marvel says:

To be completely clear, the entire definition of “flashing sign” is:

“An illuminated sign on which the artificial or reflected light is not maintained stationary and constant in intensity and color at all times when in use. Any sign which revolves or moves, whether illuminated or not, shall be considered a flashing sign. A clock or thermometer or similar instrument with moving hands or a sign which has letters or numbers which change at intervals of not less than five (5) seconds shall not be considered a flashing sign. ”

Even so, I don’t see how constantly moving scroll could be in compliance with this regulation.

7. Crow says:

I would be much more happy to approach the matter without going to the regulations first. I’m sure the people behind the sign didn’t consider my concerns when they took the step, and risk, of opening a new business. It seems to me that public desires concerning the sign would be an important consideration to anyone with a good business sense. Thanks for checking into that though Del.

8. Crow says:

By the way, sorry to have hijacked the thread.

9. Frank J WItt says:

Chong’s Tailoring and Alterations, and the sign at the CVS right across the street, are they what we are discussing?

I am not aware of the pharmacy up on 42…I don’t get out much…but I was wanting a new OPEN sign from COSTCO that has an animation of rotating colors.

I guess a phone call downtown is due before spending $89.00.

Thank you for the info !

10. Barnabas says:

Yes the freshman are moving in this week. Every year I feel older and older becasue the freshman look more and more like children. I’m only 29, I’m not old. Damn them and their youthfulness. It’ll be no time before complaining about the students hits the editorial page of the DNR and every person who lives within the town limits will swear that these kids need to learn to drive. The students will be at odds with the hispanic population for Wal-Mart dominance and our beloved police department will have something to do in the evenings. As we expand as a city we will lose a few roads to the returning educatees. Good bye Port Republic Road, Neff Avenue and OSH, I’ll see you at Chistmas.

Welcome Back JMU!!!

11. Laura says:

Good bye to getting a table at Dave’s Taverna or even getting in the parking lot at Taste of Thai. But thanks for coming, students, you keep part of my paycheck coming! Just be a litte quieter when you walk down my street at 2AM, OK?

12. Benny Neal says:

It’s time for a break! Let’s all go to Fund Fest!!!

13. Del Marvel says:

Regarding the flashing sign on 42 North: I was out that way today and it appears that pharmacy is just over the line in Rockingham County so the city code obviously doesn’t apply. I can’t find anything about Rockingham County regulations on the matter.

Perhaps a friendly “Hey, if your sign ever breaks, we’d appreciate it if you didn’t fix it. Thanks” is in order. I know from experience that you have no idea what can offend until you do. My favorite is the blasting of 93.7 from the Taratsa that gets poppy crappy music stuck into my head anytime I enter or exit my stores. I found myself whistling a Timberlake song the other day and almost swore a vendetta. I eventually calmed down and returned to Hey Jude.

15. David Miller…you have a fantastic sense of humor. I was wondering where that music is coming from the other night. I thought GOD was a Timberlake fan or something. One would imagine a noise violation or something.

From allmusic.com:

I have a friend who recommends that when you have an annoying song stuck in your head, you should think of Led Zeppelin’s “Kashmir” and your problem is solved. It works for me; the song’s infectious, ascending hook and monstrous John Bonham drum groove obliterate any remnants of the latest catchy teen pop song that might have been overheard at the grocery store.

Hope this helps–JF

17. Thanks JF…now I don’t have to worry about after mass hangover !

18. Del Marvel says:

What’s the Taratsa?

“What’s the Taratsa?”

Its the rooftop dining area of Dave’s Taverna.

20. bill says:

Could have been worse. They might have been playing ABBA or that Afternoon Delight song

21. Thanh says:

I saw these two articles in Rocktown Weekly. Even for those of us who have lived in Harrisonburg for a while, could benefit from these suggested activities.

– Block Party on the ‘Burg, Sept 7, http://www.dnronline.com/rocktown/life_details.php?AID=1683 (anyone who is a JMU or EMU Professor should tell their students about this event)

– Getting the most out of your 4, 5 or 6 years in the ‘Burg: http://www.dnronline.com/rocktown/focus.php?AID=1688 .

Enjoy!