Martin’s is open

Emmy -- September 12th, 2007

I know that a lot of you try to avoid the big chain stores, and I’m trying to do better myself. But, I’m addicted to coupons and they sent them to me in the mail! So, I made a trip there this afternoon. I have to admit that even for the mass chaos that there was the store was awesome! With the exception of Chick-fil-a I’ve not been to a store where the employees were nicer. I even had an employee ask if he could help me take my groceries to the car. I haven’t been asked that anywhere but Red Front! They had a wonderful selection of organic items; more than any other chain in this town. They also had cloth bags available for purchase (I bought several). The prices were pretty good, even for the organics. Overall, I have to say I was impressed and I will shop there again.

I also predict that Kroger will be out of business within a few months.

69 Responses to “Martin’s is open”

1. Frank J Witt says:

Jeff, all excellent points.

2. Jeff says:

Thanks, have great day.

Oh, about the original theme of this post…I went to Martin’s yesterday evening, what a zoo! Great selection though. I agree with Emmy, they’ll give Kroger a run for their money if they keep their prices competative.

3. Benny Neal says:

I visited Martin’s today to put campaign flyers on car’s windshield… It went very well and I even spoke with several
    people that were interested in the Clerk’s race BUT, if you go
    to dailywhack.com Whackett (Megan) Blew a rod on the subject (comment #3). I don’t know why, it was’nt her that recieved one of the flyers. HEY! it’s a campaign fucntion…that’s what goes on with campaigns. GET REAL!!!
    I liked Martin’s…It is a great place!

4. linz says:

Went to Martin’s last night… two words: sensory overload! I did get out of there with more of a variety of items that I usually get and I paid less than usual because I took advantage of the coupons and other promotions, but it was time consuming because I had to spend a long time at the sheleves deciphering the rows and rows of promotional tags cluttering each one. When it’s less crowded I want to check out some of the more specialty stations like the olive bar and the computers. Did anyone else see the wine tasting in the back of the store? I didn’t try any because there was a line, but that was still a first for seeing it in a grocery store.

I agree with finnegan’s comment about buying local… I walked right by the rows and rows of beautiful produce thinking: it’s best if I buy this elsewhere. I appreciate being able to find unusual things in a store like that and find it more worth the price and the tax on the environment, but when it can be produced locally it’s better to buy local. I know there was mention of the 100-mile-diet on one of our past postings. Right now I’m reading the book by the creators called, “Plenty: One man, one woman, and a raucous year of eating locally.” It’s pretty darn awesome so far. It think there’s a place for the Martin’s of the world, but it shouldn’t be our main source of food if we’re to slow the global warming trend.

I agree Linz. I’m reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle right now and so I’m very aware of where my food is coming from. I did go through the produce aisle just to see what they had and because my friend works in that department, but I didn’t pick up anything there.

For those of you who get your produce at the Farmer’s Market, where do you go after November when it closes? Next year I’m going to be smart and buy extra for freezing and canning, but I’m wondering where to go for the winter months to get local items. I just bought a cookbook called Simply in Season so I know there are still good things to be had in the winter.

6. linz says:

Sorry for all the typos: band-aid, new keyboard, and didn’t proofread. :-)

7. About those Go-Again bags — this weekend at the Staunton Martin’s I saw some very similar dark green bags called something else. They were $1 each and didn’t say Martin’s on them. The material wasn’t exactly the same as the Go-Again bags but I think they’re worth a try. The Go-Again bags are sturdier than they look and perhaps these ones at Martin’s are, too.

I noticed that too. I like my Martin’s bags, but I’m going to buy a few of these as well.

9. Josh says:

Noticed a cool thing at Martin’s last night: They also have $1/day DVD rentals. Sorry, Kroger, that was the last cool thing you had going for you.

I bet we’ll see some sort of improvement to Kroger in the next few years (maybe even a new one). Some of the Kroger stores in Cville are VERY nice, very much like the new Martin’s.

10. Josh says:

Brent/Emmy/Jen: FYI, the “Bring Trader Joe’s to Charlottesville!” facebook group’s latest wall comment says that Cville will be getting a TJ’s in 2010.

11. linz says:

Hooray!! :)

12. Alison says:

That made my day! Especially since I heard a rumor over the weekend that my beloved Staunton Martin’s will be closing. Anybody know anything about that?

I guess that’s better than nothing, but I wish it was coming here. I’m not real likely to drive over the mountain to go. I’m sure I’ll visit a few times though.

14. zen says:

Bite your tongue, Alison. Say it ain’t so!

15. rachel says:

I’ve only ever made one brief visit to a Trader Joe’s in NoVA, so I don’t know much about it, but I’m hopeful that some of the things people love about TJ’s will be available through Hburg’s very own Friendly City Food Coop… whenever it opens.

16. linz says:

good point, Rachel! :)

17. I shopped at Martin’s in Staunton this morning at 7:15. Some of the aisles weren’t well lit, and the only check-out lines open were the self-serve ones. There were far more staff than customers around and fewer than 10 people total. Not that any of this means anything. Most grocery stores are pretty empty at that hour.

18. Josh says:

FWIW if you shop at the Hburg Martin’s in the wee hours of the morning it’s also dimly lit. :)

Overall though, Hburg Martin’s seems much busier than the Staunton Martin’s. It wouldn’t surprise me if they had to shut that store down.

19. Barnabas says:

That side of staunton and waynesboro were all supposed to be getting new residents. The market was booming and new houses were being built everywhere. So now we have empty houses and big box stores over there are having rumors of closing, Target and now Martins.