Gods and Filmmakers

JGFitzgerald -- September 17th, 2007

Imagine for a moment that the DNR had sent a reporter instead of a stenographer to speak to “Gods and Generals” filmmaker Ron Maxwell at the home of right-wing philanthropist Walter Curt. What questions might he have asked?

Maxwell’s next project is a documentary film about immigration scheduled to be released in December, said a story on the front of today’s DNR. Why is the film not listed on the IMDB, the world’s largest database of movie information?

Maxwell said U.S. immigration policy is controlled by the corporate, political and intellectual elite who want to bring down U.S. borders for their own gain at the expense of the country’s institutions. Who are the members of this elite and what do they hope to gain?

Walter Curt said he has seen how immigration service employees try to do their job in an ever-changing political environment. What’s an example of those changes? How have they kept employees from doing their jobs?

The story cites “Curt’s insight into the immigration service.” Is the word “insight” the opinion of the writer, the newspaper, or Curt?

Maxwell said some Mexican politicians and intellectuals want to re-conquer the U.S. Who are these people? Are they mainstream or fringe? What do they have to say about Maxwell’s statements?

A central part of the problem, Maxwell said, are corporate leaders in an alliance with politicians and opinion leaders in the Hispanic community. Who are these people? What do they have to say about Maxwell’s statements?

Several paragraphs of the story list Maxwell’s views and what he thinks should be done about the issue. What exactly is his expertise on the issue? What makes his views important?

Does the DNR have an agenda on this issue, and does it print its opinions as fact? Never mind; that question is rhetorical.

84 Responses to “Gods and Filmmakers”

1. Cletus Jones says:

Luis, Luis. Luis,
    Padilla, Padilla, Padilla,
    You, You, You,
    Did, Did, Did,
    Not, Not, Not,
    Win, Win, Win,
    the, the, the,
    Case, Case, Case,

Your rights “brother”?
    You are not my “brother”
    As an American?
    What are you talking about?
    You are not a citizen of the United States of America.
    What rights are you claiming?
    You married a citizen of this country. That’s all.
    Why have you been in this country for ten years, and not even have a green card?
    What is the original status of your entry? Political asylum?
    Why won’t you answer the most basic of questions regarding your status here in the United States?

2. Cletus Jones says:

Oh and by the way Luis, I don’t really care if you’re upset. Because I am pissed off.

3. Cletus Jones says:

Something else Luis, I am not nice. Get over it.

4. Kyle says:

Luis,
    With all due respect I think you got my post mixed up with someone elses’s, please re-read mine. In reference to you, I merely pointed out a simple, harmless discrepancy and then moved on to support you in your effort to get involved with our democratic process. Nothing more. In fact, musch of the latter part of the post as meant tongue-in-cheek.

Ok, boys.

This blog doesn’t really have any posted “rules” per se, but I’d like to avoid deleting comments if I can. There are five editors/administrators who peruse the comments, and we’ll delete anything that’s slanderous, libelous, name-calling, or outright inappropriate.

Comments that are just mean spirited don’t necessarily fall under that category, but it would be great if people with opposing ideology could respectfully disagree with each other.

I’d like this blog to be a place where people feel welcome.

Cook, I obviously misunderstood your “token Central American” comment the other day. I thought you were referring to Luis, who is a Central American.

6. Cletus Jones says:

Mr. Finnegan,

Please accept my apology for having made too strong a statement. The hypocrisy involved in Mr. Padilla’s stand is too much to let slide however.
    The faction of the party he so dearly loves is the very same group who keeps the wall high around the right to employ laws in Virginia which make his termination legal. Had his employer decided to leave his termination in place, his likely champion would have been the ACLU, a group which I’m quite sure Mr. Padilla holds in contempt. The Valley Family Forum only cared about Mr. Padilla because he happened to be on their side regarding one issue. Had he been promoting anything else, especially the opposing view, they would have been howling for his head. Not his freedom of expression.
    Regarding immigration status, there are many political refugees in the United States from Honduras who are hanging in limbo because of delays in processing. For many years. These folks who have been granted political asylum have children who grew up in this country, went to school here, and now find themselves under attack as “undocumented” aliens by many in the party of Padilla who say these children should not be able to attend college in Virginia and should be shipped home.
    That was the basis for the dishonest attack on Emmett Hanger.

No worries, Cletus.

Besides the negativity of the comment section on this one is that the person that I was trying so desperately to discuss the issue with, wouldn’t respond. Can I beg that if anyone ever reads my comments or post, please read it as an invitation for dialogue. I want to get some back and forth. I don’t want a fight, I want a civil argument. Anyone? Luis? Wedgie for Wedgie? btw, I’m still interested to know why you’d assume I was Mennonite.

9. Del Marvel says:

Probably assuming from the name “Miller.”

10. David Troyer says:

well…

my full name is David Miller Troyer and I’ve always considered it to be fairly mennonite…

11. Luis Padilla says:

Cletus, Cletus, Cletus
    You know what, I am just laughing here!
    Yes, and you are my brother
    I’m not upset anymore because I have so much to give thanks to my Lord, the Owner and Creator of all.
    And that’s why you are my brother because God created us
    The ACLU is my enemy

I am just having fun here and that’s what I am intend to do

Kyle no hard feelings

Thanks Finnigan and the invitation is on

And David…I grew up around Mennonites in Honduras and Miller was a very popular name among the missionaries back in the seventies. We became part of the Mennonite Church in 1975. I just assumed that you were Mennonite because you last name that’s all

Now, can I have a rational conversation with people here?

I invited a good friend to write and he is happy to be part to this blog. You guys will meet him soon

Good night

12. Del Marvel says:

Luis, I’m curious why you describe the ACLU as your enemy if you’re part of the Mennonite Church. Aren’t you aware of the role of the ACLU and its precursor organizations in defending the religious rights of Mennonites when they refused to salute the flag in public schools or participate in wars?

13. Cletus Jones says:

I’m figuratively biting my tongue Mr. Finnegan.

14. Luis Padilla says:

keep biting you tongue cletus, cletus, cletus because you will hear more

mr. marvel the aclu insted of doing something good has done more damage. for instance taking God out of the public square, prayer out of school and so on…I know the traditionan mennonite support “separation of church and state”
    but it was never intended to be free of God. I know, I am no the traditional mennonite neither my wife. and i am glad she is not traditional
    one of my resources agaisnt aclu is “the aclu vs america” by alan sears and graig osten i added this book to my great collection

15. Cletus Jones says:

Tis really sad when someone has the thought process of a child, yet considers themself to be brilliant.
    See Luisx3, you are free to worship the way you wish. But, at least for now, in this country, you are not allowed to force others to worship the way you wish. Faith is a very personal issue, between an individual and God. Why is it so important to you to force others to follow your belief? Prayer is not banned from school Luisx3. Students may pray before meals, before tests, or really any time at all of their choosing. Freedom of choice Luisx3. But they are protected from people like you forcing your version of religion upon them.

16. Luis Padilla says:

Prayer is not banned from school? you have to be kidding!
    Christians protected in school? you have to be kidding twice!
    no freedom of choice brother

17. LTCJeffWhite says:

Indeed, there was never any intent on the part of the Founders to prohibit all public or official acknowledgments of Christianity, which was foundational to the whol system of American government, according to the most authoritative commentors on it.

Backstone said that the basis of English common law was the Bible, and according to Donald Lutz, the most widely quoted source of the Founding writings was by far the Bible. This is obvious from even a casual perusal of the Federalist and Anti-Federalist papers, and the political tracts pubilshed from 1750 until 1810.

“Prayer is not banned from school? you have to be kidding!
    Christians protected in school? you have to be kidding twice!
    no freedom of choice brother”

No, he’s not kidding. My kids pray over their lunch. I’m pretty sure they have a moment of silence every morning for any type of prayer you desire. I’ll ask them this evening. We had prayer at the pole when I was in high school. I saw people praying at lunch all the time. Prayer is certainly not banned in school.

19. Dave Briggman says:

Hey Jeff, we miss you on Candid Comment…you coming back to the ‘Burg when you come back from Iraq?

20. Gxeremio says:

Prayer is not banned in school, as Emmy stated above. Teachers can’t lead kids in prayer, which makes sense since I wouldn’t want a Muslim teacher leading my kid in the recitation of Muslim prayers or a Buddhist teacher leading my kids in meditation, either. But there are no “prayer police” stopping kids from using their own time (or the moment of silence) to engage in religious discussion, prayer, or other expressions of religious freedom.

It makes me laugh when I think of how the same groups that warn us about the evils of “madrasas” (Islamic religious schools) want to codify their religion in American schools.

21. Cletus Jones says:

Luisx3,
    No I’m not kidding. What you find confusing is that I know what I’m talking about and it isn’t what you want to hear.
    Perhaps you would do well to actually learn something about the society in which you find yourself a guest rather than listen to the propaganda from those who make it a point to shout how they are victims. A simple call to any school principal to ask if students are allowed to pray should clear it up for you.
    You won’t do that however because you simply want to go on believing what suits you best.

22. Cletus Jones says:

Ammendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Seem pretty clear to me…

“This ACLU fiction that the United States Constitution makes a secular nation, and that the 14th Amendment makes every government at all levels equally devoid of any religious influence is an almost brand new phenomenon.”

Actually it’s a not a fiction of the ACLU, but a series of decisions by the United States courts systems. And we have a lot of phenomena that are almost brand new. Civil rights and voting rights pop to mind. I, for one, look forward to the new phenomena we can come up with in the rest of my lifetime — the ones that aren’t based on the prejudices and errors of the past.

As to founders’ intent … anybody out there still paying his taxes in gold?

24. Del Marvel says:

“mr. marvel the aclu insted of doing something good has done more damage”
    So, you’re saying that the ACLU defense of Mennonite consciousness objectors was not a good thing?

25. Del Marvel says:

I guess we’re veering off topic here, but what is also often forgotten is that the ACLU often defends the civil rights of Christians as described in this link:

Mr. Padilla,
    What would you like to discuss?

27. Josh says:

I think we just need another blogger get-together and Luis should join us! :-)

Nah, how about an open invitation night of the week, that way it’s not so limited. Kinda Orange Bandish. If you’re at Calhoun’s on Tuesday nights and wear your Orange Band (maybe Kai could arrange to have them available upon entrance.)

29. Josh says:

Great idea! A regular hburgnews/orangeband/downtown conversations meet-up.

30. NotBarryManilow says:

This blog sure is a lot more interesting than the tired old Republitarian one.

Kai, care to offer up suggestions?

32. Bubby says:

Do you think that one of these years Rockingham County voters might want a choice when they head to the polls? Or is our duty to simply confirm the anointed Republican candidate?

33. Baltimore girl says:

Bubby
    I felt the same way back home in Maryland. That maybe one day they might want a choice, not just the democrat who is running. (am a Democrat)

I have never voted along party lines, I will always vote for who ever I feel can do the better job.