ghost stories?

Brent Finnegan -- September 20th, 2007

I’m a little burned out on Clerk of Court and immigration talk right now, and I just received an odd PR from Harrisonburg Downtown Renaissance, so I figured I’d share it…

The HDR is looking for ghost stories based in the downtown area for an upcoming Haunted Harrisonburg Walking Tour. If you have a story to share, contact them.

There’s a little-known subculture of locals into the paranormal, and the Internet seems to have brought them out of the woodwork. There’s a blog that’s been inactive for a while — LJ user KittyMoon hunts (or used to hunt) for ghosts in the Valley. There’s even a MySpace group called the Harrisonburg/Rockingham Paranormal Association. According to their blog, they take investigation requests from spooked homeowners.

17 Responses to “ghost stories?”

1. Marty says:

I ain’t afraid of no ghosts.

Yeah, as a long-time X-Files fan, I’m more of a UFO man.

I watched the coolest show (on WVPT I think) about ghosts in the area. I always think the stories are neat.

4. Karl Magenhofer says:

Emmy, that show was produced at WVPT by Tracy Jewell. I saw it too and thought it was pretty good. It won an award, so they probably fired her.

Heh ;)

Actually, Tracey left WVPT for PBS in Arlington for a brief stint, and the last I heard she was the teleproductions manager at Sprague Technology Center in Fairfax.

She produced two documentaries called “Things That Go Bump in the Valley”

6. Benny Neal says:

Finnegan,
    I haven’t seen much in the way of the C.O.C race on this blog. What are you refering to in regards to that?

7. I think he means over on Republitarian. I’ll be glad when it’s over too.

8. Annie says:

There is a great collection of local shost stories compiled by the late John Heatwole. The collection can be found at the historical society in Dayton.

9. King Richard says:

Christa, the republitarian blog is biased don’t you think?
    We’ll all be glad when its over.

10. Jennifer says:

Is anyone familiar with any hauntings on Frieden’s Church Rd, in Mt. Crawford, VA ? A neighbor came over the other day and reported that he would have to move because he feels that his house is haunted by an evil presence. Many freaky things have happened to him since living there only a few months. He is afraid to even go into his house any more. I also find it strange that in the past year many people have come and gone. Most of the residents have only stayed there for a few months and then they move.

11. Christa says:

Which house Jennifer? There was a man murdered on that road some years ago. Wondering if it’s that house.

12. Jennifer says:

Hey Christa, It’s 3621 Frieden’s Church Rd. I have heard about a man who was shot, and also another man who died by being drug through a field. I’m not sure if that is what you were referring to. This weekend the guy living in the house asked my bf to come over so that he could get some things. He was scared to go by himself. When they went into the house it was completely trashed. Broken glass everywhere, pots and pans in the living room. This guy is ready to move, he thinks that there is something demonic in the house.

The local ghost busters are now looking for ghosts on Craigslist.

We are currently looking for active hauntings to investigate in and around Harrisonburg and the surrounding area. Supernatural Investigators of Virginia has conducted several investigations; having just concluded one, we are looking for the next place to visit. Earlier this year, you may have seen the article in the News Leader about our group and the investigations we conduct. We have all the technical equipment you’ve probably seen on shows like Paranormal State, including digital EVP (electronic voice phenomenon), cameras, etc. We do not charge a fee for our services, as this is something that we do in our spare time. If you believe you or someone you know may be a candidate for a paranormal investigation, please contact us.

14. There are stories floating around with some of the old timers that MAYBE the old church/ American Legion building on Waterman is “haunted”. Give Ray a call and he can tell you, he is there Monday and Friday 11am – 4 pm.

15. I am a member of the Virginia Independent Paranormal Society and we are taking requests to do investigations. Our Founder worked on the “things that go bump in the valley”and our group has been investigating supposed haunted locations for more than 10 years. We have all the necessary equipment and we are a very professional team. Check out all are info at vipsinvestigates.com. There you can see all of our team, all of our equipment, our experience, background info, contact info and more. Take some time out and check us out.

16. Barnabas says:

I don’t know about haunted, but my house is enchanted. It still freaks some of my friends out, but I’m pretty sure our ghosts are friendly.

Isn’t the By the Side of the Road Bed & Breakfast supposed to be haunted?

Barnabas, what kind of things happen in your enchanted house?