Elections Nov 7: Clerk of Court, Senate, Delegates…

Thanh -- September 23rd, 2007

There appears to be interest from several hburgnews readers to discuss the upcoming elections. Of particular interest to many is the Clerk of Court race. I must be honest and admit that I am not very familiar with the race, so I am posting here to open up discussion, as an opportunity for me and other readers to learn more. This might be a better place/way to discuss the races instead of within the comments of various other blog posts, so that we don’t take the other discussions off topic.

For those who might not know, the next elections will be on November 7, 2007. If you are not a registered voter and wish to be, you can register yourself through the City Registrar or County Registrar Offices. I don’t know what the deadline is, but if its passed, you should register anyway for the elections next year. We’ll be voting for our next US President then.

The current Clerk of Court is L. Wayne Harper. My understanding is that the clerk of court is responsible for maintaining court records. I’m not exactly sure what our Clerk of Court does specifically but generally Clerks of Court have the duty to swear in witnesses, jurors, and grand jurors, is the custodian of the court’s seal. Review of the Rockingham County Clerk of Court website shows that the Clerk of Court’s office also handles licences, notary public, passport, deeds, and land records. If anyone has more details to add on this topic, please share!

An official list of Rockingham County Clerk of Court candidates can be found here, from Virginia’s State Board of Elections (contact information also listed there). Candidates are:

• Diane E. Fulk (D),
  • Chaz W. Evans-Haywood (R),
  • George W. “Doc” Arey (I),
  • T. Scott Biller (I),
  • C.M. “Cindy” Fitzwater (I),
  • Mike N. Harvey (I),
  • Brenda C. Huffman (I),
  • Sarah Forrer Jones (I),
  • Barry D. Koogler (I),
  • C.B. “Benny” Neal (I), and
  • Myron L. Rhodes (I).

Other elections and candidate information can be found on this page and I’ve summarized them below –

Virginia Senate candidates –

• Maxine Hope Roles (D) and
  • Mark Obenshain (R-Incumbent)

House of Delegate candidates –

• Matthew J. “Matt” Lohr (R-Incumbent) and
  • Carolyn W. Frank (I)

Other elections where only one person is running include positions for Commonwealth Attorney (Garst), and Sheriff (Farley).

To learn more about each of the candidates, I suggest that readers conduct a Google-search on the internet and through the Daily-News Record for more information. I’ve seen websites for many of the candidates, stories in the DNR on how much candidates have spent on their campaign, as well as, opinion pieces in the DNR.

So, what are all of your thoughts?

Why are there so many people running for Clerk of Court? Is it the money? What puts each of the candidates apart from the others? Why is this position even an elected position?

Why haven’t I heard very much about the Senate and House of Delegate elections? Does nobody care about them? Is there a feeling that “we” already know who the winner will be? What are their positions and why should we pay more attention?

Will there be any debates held between the candidates?

236 Responses to “Elections Nov 7: Clerk of Court, Senate, Delegates…”

1. republitarian says:

I took it down as soon as I saw it.

I can’t believe Dave posted that….although it was funny.

2. Gxeremio says:

“Emmy, why is it OK to let people attack Briggman and Myron on this blog, but should they choose to defend themselves, they get attacked?”

Uhh… what?

“What’s extremely interesting to me is that none of you people, who can best be described as of a liberal bent, care that Briggman has asked legitimate questions about whether a candidate (albeit the longest of longshots) has made legally defamatory statements not only about a fellow candidate and his wife, but also of someone who has just asked him tough questions that, time after time, Neal is unable or unwilling to answer.”

1. What does someone’s “liberal bent” have to do with this discussion in any way, shape, or form?

2. Who said we don’t care about the questions Briggman brought up about starting/spreading a rumor?

3. Benny has answered, repeatedly, and has pointed to his answers in this thread and elsewhere. He said, at 9:05 on Sept. 25 (you can scroll up and see it), no to both of Dave’s questions, listed immediately prior to his answers. You can choose to believe him or not believe him, but you can’t say he hasn’t answered.

4. What legally defamatory statements are you saying Benny has made about Dave? That’s a new one.

3. You can’t believe Dave posted what, Myron? I never saw it because it was down. Dave says it’s up…now it’s down again. I’m just about done with it anyway.

4. I’ll tell you.

Benny wrote that I had applied to the VFW and, according to some imaginary conversation with an man he refuses to name, the man stated I wasn’t allowed to join because of a “dishonorable” discharge.

Of course, never having served in a foreign war, I was never eligible to join the VFW, but enjoy my affiliation with the American Legion.

Stating that someone has had a dishonorable discharge is akin to having accused them of having a felony conviction under defamation law…and is provably false in that I not only vote, but can acquire lots of weapons and carry the handguns concealed.

Felons can’t do that…

Of course, in Virginia, defamation is also a wee time crime under:

§ 18.2-417. Slander and libel.

Any person who shall falsely utter and speak, or falsely write and publish, of and concerning any female of chaste character, any words derogatory of such female’s character for virtue and chastity, or imputing to such female acts not virtuous and chaste, or who shall falsely utter and speak, or falsely write and publish, of and concerning another person, any words which from their usual construction and common acceptation are construed as insults and tend to violence and breach of the peace or shall use grossly insulting language to any female of good character or reputation, shall be guilty of a Class 3 misdemeanor.

5. Marissa says:

Mr. Dave, you say that. But I read that little itty bitty thing you had posted over on the other site and that wasn’t what was written on that. That person asked a question. they didn’t make the statement that that was why you couldnt join ~ you are saying that. You are the one saying that about yourself. Is it wrong to ask a question? If it’s wrong – I’m in trouble.

6. OK, I understand that. What does that have to do with the rumor about some candidates wife, blah blah blah

If none of it is true Dave, why are you getting so upset about it? I’m going to tell you like I do Benny…ignore it.

Is it defamation to call someone an Idiot?

I’m sorry, that was rude. Truth be told, I can’t stand this anymore. See this “discussion” in h..l
    Good luck to all of the candidates.

9. King Richard says:

Thank you Emmy. I refuse to call briggman names, I will not go down to that level.
    I should have been a little more clear in yesterdays post. After briggman lost the election he was running for, About a week later on candid comment he said ‘IN THE SHANADOAH VALLEY, A PERSONS DIGNITY IS OVER-RATED. I remember because at the time I thought that was a putdown to every person that lives in the valley-& I still do.
    finnegan, is there any way you can stop a person from posting using multible names? briggman has posted on this thread alone using 3 different names. ( of course he will deny this).
    He post using his name,
    He post using-Funny Guy,Sept. 24 @8:20pm
    He post using-James, Sept.25 @7:38am
    Glad to see Emmy,Christa,Gxeremio, Marissa,briggman & D. Miller asking tough questions, it makes for interesting reading!

10. King Richard says:

finnegan, I made a mistake:
    Jesse posted as ‘James’
    Megan posted as ‘macacawoman’
    If possible, you or somebody can check the IP-addy to verify this, you’ll find it to be true. I will e- mail you.

11. republitarian says:

Actually, you are incorrect.

Megan did not post a “macacawoman”.

12. jesse says:

king richard,
    Will you please repeat the rule that says you have to protect your idenity. I see that you attack other people’s personal lives, but yet you conceal your own mistakes from examination. Why is that again? You made the comment “that you couldn’t reveal yourself”. I interpret that as a coward. Your excuse for protecting yourself from similar examination and criticism seems self serving and cowardly. Why don’t you become a real man/person and join real people that don’t hide from their actions. You love to hate on Dave an me, but WE aren’t the ones hiding…you are. I can’t wait to read your response. JESSE

13. King Richard says:

C’mon Myron, your running for a public office, being truthful would help you. You don’t need to be caught in anymore lies.
    Although I could be wrong, IF Megan is keeping secrets from you!
    Good luck on your campaign, your gonna need it.

14. King Richard says:

jesse, yes I do post anon. I have never posted under any other name other than K.R. Can you say the same? Of course not!
    I’m sorry that you interpret my words as being a coward, everybody has their own opinion. I’m sorry that it bothers you so much because you don’t know my name. It does not upset others as much as it does you.
    Jesse, you are smart enough to know that there is no ‘rule’ that says I have to protect my idenity, I choose to do so for reasons that you would not understand.
    I am new to the blogs, I admit that. But you have been here for a long time from what I’ve been told.
    You have a real strong need to get on the radio and express your opinion on others. Why you are always involved in some type of controversy is scary. Sometimes it’s best to keep ones thoughts to themselves, I understand this is impossible for you.
    Jesse, you seem like a nice person that needs somebody to talk too. I would rather be your friend than argue with you.
    Try calling CC once a week instead of everyday, you will find that people will be more responsive to you. Good luck!

15. jesse says:

the cowardly king, has no clothes.

my need to express myself to others on the radio is my business. you seem to forget that you started it with me. if you don’t like my calls to the radio…then don’t listen!!!
    i don’t need your advice nor did i solicit it. think about what you are asking. is it any of your business what i do??? and where do you get off taking shots at people’s personal lives, when you conceal your own skeletons.
    lastly, i do read your comments kr(?), you say some funny stuff occasionally. Jesse

16. King Richard says:

Calm down Jesse, as I said earlier, I would rather be your friend than argue with you. I may be wrong, but I really feel that you need a friend. We can start by not calling each other names-I.E.-cowardly?-no clothes?
    Your right, you don’t need my advice. Sorry.
    Due to circumstances, I have to listen to the radio every morning & don’t have the option of turning it off(or I would) it just seems that you try to enforce your opinion on others. Please forgive me, I’m just trying to understand why you feel compelled to do so.
    I’m not taking a ‘shot’ at you jesse & I don’t have any skeletons to conceal, I don’t know what put that in your mind.
    The radio is a public forum, open to all. As I said before, I think you need a friend other than the radio, I know I do. How about we go to another thread & talk about football,nascar, hunting or fishing? I’m into those things, maybe your not. I don’t know anything about golf or websites, if thats your gig, maybe you could teach me!
    Give me a chance jesse, you’ll find there’s more to life than the blogs & candid comment. K.R.

17. republitarian says:

Why don’t you two get together somewhere else……like the Yahoo personals……;O)

18. King Richard says:

republitarian, very good idea!

19. jesse says:

kr,

you miss judge me. i’m not looking for a friend. but good friends are nice. everyone could use another friend.

on c.c., i am passionate(as i explained to you long ago) about my constitutional freedoms. we are losing them everyday. i mix it up on air, but my main concern is my country’s future and how it impacts me and my children. i can’t help the way i feel, but i could be more diplomatic occasionally.

the radio is a open forum. it’s for everyone including you kr.

fishing is my thing by the way. your last comments reached out to me with a small amout of respect. i owe you the same. thanks jesse

20. Frank J Witt says:

Didn’t know where else to put this so I figure you guys can have some fun with it here…

21. Gxeremio says:

Cool link, Frank! Seems pretty evenhanded, too.

22. Del Marvel says:

Did you notice that’s a site for members of the military and the anti-war Mike Gravel was number one?

23. Kyle says:

Nice calculator. Hell, I didn’t even know that the guy the calculator picked for me was even running!

Mine said Mike Gravel, too. Even though I told it I was planning to vote for Undecided.

25. Del Marvel says:

I’m assuming it said “Mike Gravel” based on your responses. There was also a bar over on the right side with all the candidates listed along with percentages that had Gravel listed at the top which I assumed was a running tally.

Maybe we should turn out Republic into an online democracy. We could just go online and vote lite that site. It would be so much easier :)

27. Del Marvel says:

I notice Paul, Gravel and Kucinich do a lot better in online polls than the traditional polls.

Mine said Kucinich and I told it I was planning to vote for Obama.

29. Jeff White says:

Windshield advertisement is recieved differently depending on content of the ad.

Placed on cars in public places, windshield flyers can be very helpful. Placed on cars in church parking lots, I would expect the fliers would address issues of moral significance.

I would be curious to know if the content was different between the fliers left on cars in the conservative Presbryterian (sp?) versus the more liberal Methodist, or the extremely liberal Unitarian churches… wouldn’t it be interesting if a candidate created fliers which were different and specifically targetted…

30. Benny Neal says:

FYI,
    Now you can check out my website. It’s nealforclerk.com

31. Frank J Witt says:

Did anyone else happen to see the signs around Forbes Crossings grounds that have a red circle with a line thru it stating “DO NOT VOTE FOR FRANK” for State delegate?

I did not ever see a political sign like this before and just was wondering where/why they are there.

Frank,

The signs say they’re paid for by LBJ, which I believe is the (Lois, Bruce, Jeff) Forbes family corporation. While I doubt Bruce reads this blog, I’m betting that if you called and asked him about the signs, he’d give you an earful.

33. Frank J Witt says:

Hey J, I have no idea about the “politics” of this area but I have never seen a sign denouncing a candidate.

Just funny looking…but yet…disturbing.

Why would someone do this?

Trust me. Bruce is special. It’s not the politics of the area. It’s Bruce.