when animals attack

Brent Finnegan -- September 25th, 2007

Over the last couple of days, there have been several stories in the local media about the Duke Dog scuffle with the Costal Carolina mascot, “Chaucey.” After seeing this video, I have to wonder if there isn’t more to it, because the blows look a little uneven to me.

Is that it? Why is the Duke Dog being raked over the coals for that? Meanwhile, down in South Carolina, media reports are saying the bird is not to blame.

This, however, is new: we had two mascots throwing down at the Coastal Carolina-James Madison game up in the hills of Old Virginny on Saturday night. Mascots for heaven’s sake. What is this, the Animal Planet network?

According to all reports, Coastal mascot Chaucey was in the clear on this one.

How is Chaucey “in the clear” while the Duke Dog loses his job?

Thanks to Josh for the YouTube link. Video posted by efil4frus.

26 Responses to “when animals attack”

According to video, duke dog kicked bird in the but, bird then jumped Duke dog. Whatever the legalities “he started it!”.

2. Gxeremio says:

I am shocked, just shocked. Why would anyone think that violence, even for entertainment’s sake, is appropriate? Especially at a nice, peaceful event like a football game! ;-)

Thanks for the link; a student asked me if I had heard about this the other day and I was wondering what had happened.

Yeah. The reaction just seems a little extreme to me.

4. TM says:

Mascots are supposed to get in little play fights. That’s what it looked like the Duke Dog was trying to do after the bird was goading the Duke cheering section. Maybe the kick was harder than it looked, but I thought second hit draws the fowl… er, foul.

5. Gxeremio says:

In other news, Michael Vick made $10 off the altercation, a Page County official was implicated in accepting a bribe to ignore the mascot fighting ring, and Chauncey the Chanticleer was offered a starting position on Notre Dame’s offensive line.

6. Gxeremio says:

Also, the Duke Dog was heard to yell, “Don’t taze me, bro!” as he was being led away by police.

7. Karl Magenhofer says:

What’s missing from this is what took place on the other side of the stands. That’s what led Duke Dog to get tackled by police. From the press box I only saw Duke Dog being restrained and then tackled. I missed the lead up after he had finished stalking the chicken to its side of the sideline.

Duke Dog’s playful kick in the butt was pretty typical of mascot behavior. The chicken’s reaction was not. I understand sportsmanship doesn’t exactly flow freely from the CCU football program.

8. Tim says:

I wonder what the score was at the time of the altercation? If the blowout was already in full swing, I could see the Duke Dog’s actions falling under the poor-winner category. Outside of that it did appear to be a very playful interaction on the DD’s part.

It is funny to see costumed people fight, I’d love to see a rematch at The Pub. I’d pay a cover.

9. TM says:

Yeah, does enjoying this video too much make me a “furry?”

Fur and loathing in Harrisonburg.

(Full disclosure. I stole this wordplay.)

11. Bubby says:

The legal issue is clear: Chicken fighting is legal in Virginia. Dog fighting is not.

12. Drew Richard says:

Full story…
    Duke Dog kicked Chauncey in the rear, Chauncey tackles Duke Dog, Duke Dog tries to get up but is pushed back down by Chauncey, they got separated by the cops. At this point, Duke Dog is not at fault. DD then walks over to the CCU section of the sideline where Chauncey had gone, but is stopped by the cops. DD tries to fight threw the cops but inadvertently smacks a cop in the face. At this point they tackle DD to the ground and lead him out. DD then comes back in during the third quarter (same guy) walks around the home side then runs around to the student side, flips the bird (as well as a 4-fingered creature can) and is promptly led off the field. He lost his job immediately. JMU offered an apology right after the game. CCU has yet to say that their mascot did anything wrong by tackling ours twice…

13. linz says:

Well, I hope that whatever really happened, JMU had a better reason for firing DD than him getting hen-pecked in front of thousands of people. Football players frequently get into scuffles during games and have to be pulled apart, but I doubt a school would “fire” them for that. I really feel bad for whoever was the DD, but man I would have liked to be there. What was it like in the stands?

Thank God for Reynolds.

15. Reaganite says:

Why are local authorities going out of their way to protect the chicken? Perhaps the federal prosecutor should investigate . . . can you say, “campaign contribution”?

16. Bubby says:

One of the national cable news stations did a story on the chicken / dog fight last night, showing this video. No mention of any JMU football being played.

17. Justin says:

I don’t care if it’s staged or real. Mascot fights have to be one of the funniest things ever. But maybe I don’t see the seriousness of the issue.

18. Howard says:

I must say, “mascot geek” makes “band geek” look like Brad Pitt…

19. Benny Neal says:

FYI, There is a game with Dave Briggman as a mascot on
    unclefrank22801.blogspot.com

20. Jeff White says:

At West Point, we used to have awesome championship wrestling style fights between one of our mascots (A-man – a dude in all black wrestling tights, a grey cape and hooded spiderman-looking mask) and mascots from other schools.

We would generally have some sort of taunting, or harrassment from some nefarious figure – perhaps the “enemy” mascot.

The cadets would being to chant “A MAN, A MAN, A MAN!” and then, rappelling from the upper balcony would come A-man, to the rescue!

I will never forget the fight between the Nitanny Lion and A-man. It was repleat with “POW” and “SOCK” signs, held up by the cheerleaders of both squads. The thing looked pretty well choreographed, and I think most people were in tears from laughing so hard.

Another thing we used to do was have some “hecklers” come out dressed as hippies when we played Harvard. A-man would wipe the floor with these role-players and then stand triumphantly, waving at the crowd at the end.

Too bad the mascots couldn’t appreciate that this is all about a stupid GAME, and just have some fun with it.

Watching these oversized characters fight was always hilarious.

In any case, the mascot is a reflection on the school, and must conduct himself, or herself with appropriate humor and respect all the time. An obscene gesture from this character, to whom all little eyes turn, is something which should result in disciplinary action.

Integrity and honor are the most important parts of education. They must be non-negotiable. It’s like this fiasco of the Student Body President and his misrepresentations resulting in his resignation – when things go wrong, a lot of attention is placed on such malefactors – and rightfully so. They must be made example of, or more damage is done.

21. Jeff White says:

I think one key ingredient was agreeing beforehand who would lose any fight.

I think unless I am wrong, that the mascot would lose on the opposing side. That Nitanny Lion was picked up by an arm and a leg from each side, and rammed into the goal post to end the fight, as I recall. He then noodled across the field with his knees together appearing to be in great and highly melodramatic pain.

That lion reminded me of Tigger. He was a riot. We loved it.

Of course, West Point was utterly destroyed in that game.

22. Lowell Fulk says:

Jeff,
    Good to hear from you! I very much enjoyed your last two posts. You paint a vivid picture.
    How are things for you?

23. Luis Padilla says:

Hey brother Jeff
    I don’t know if I already welcomed you to the blog, but welcome brother. it is good to have someone I can relate here now. How are things over there?
    Shalom brorther

24. Jeff White says:

Things are OK, Lowell, thanks!

And hi, Luis.

I am back in the States right now, for a few weeks here at lovely and wonderful Fort Hood (on the frontier of freedom). Here is one of the most violent cities in the nation, Killeen, Texas. A local police officer told me the other night that we were tops in domestic violence and some other category, and the fifth worst city in the State.

I frankly can’t wait for the 1st Cav Division to get back here and relieve us of our arduous stateside duty, so we can go over to Shangri-La and have the easy life in Baghdad, heh.