immigration documentary screening

Brent Finnegan -- October 1st, 2007

The Latino Underground, the documentary I’ve been working on for too long, will be airing on WVPT Monday, October 22 at 9pm. There will be a special advance screening of the film at the Court Square Theater Thursday, October 18 at 7pm.

Visit WVPT.net for more info, and to RSVP if you plan on attending.

19 Responses to “immigration documentary screening”

1. Tina says:

Congratulations! I’m looking forward to seeing it… and I’m glad that we can host the event.

OK, do I go to this (which I’d really like to do) or go to the PTA meeting which is at the exact same time?

I guess I have to go to the PTA meeting, but I’m looking forward to seeing this when it airs. I’m fascinated by discussions on this topic.

3. kai says:

Congrats on finishing it up, finnegan!

I’ll look forward to seeing how today’s “opinion” piece http://dnronline.com/opinion_details.php?AID=12511&CHID=36
    stands up to some actual reporting.

You know I think the ability to comment to dnronline articles is nice, but sometimes its very disturbing to read those comments.

6. Gxeremio says:

That’s some kind of sexy announcer voice, finnegan.

I noticed you flashed a Cargill sign towards the end there; because of some recent changes in the laws about matching up Social Security numbers, a lot of undocumented workers are being let go at local poultry plants. My friend who’s in human resources at Cargill says they’re actually doing a lot of recruiting in Puerto Rico now.

7. Josh says:

Haha, I thought the same thing about the voice… the smooth stylings of Mr. Finnegan.

8. Jeff White says:

Is it now a human right to become an American?

This sure does apear to be the opinion of the Democrat Party.

The time is long since past when Americans should demand of heir government that it create and secure the national borders, regardless of the cost of the endeavor. We can’t afford NOT to do it.

9. Jeff White says:

“Appear” is of course spelled with two P’s.

Immigrant is spelled with two M’s, by the way.

There are no L’s in immigrant, unless it is an illegal immigrant, but as we all know, only most of them are illegal, and some immigrants are indeed legal – used to be they were mostly illegal – as in, when most of our ancestors did it. Today, the legal ones almost entirely escape popular (or at least the Democratic) notice these days.

We may have to begin referring to “Legal Immigrants” as a special set – as merely saying the word “immigrant” doesn’t seem fair to that minority who continue to follow the laws of the country they are graciously allowed to enter.

So perhaps there is now an L in “immigrant.” Unless we want to needlessly tarnish the reputation of that small but significant demographic which is naive enough to go to the trouble of obeying our laws while they are guests in our country.

By the way, I sure am glad Luis is with us here. I think he lends a paticular dignity and courage to our community that it sorely needs. I wish we had a hundred thousand more JUST LIKE HIM.

10. linz says:

From the clip: “Nearly 80% of our ESL students speak Spanish as their SECOND language.” Hmm… I don’t think that sounds as informed as the speaker intended.

I also like the “announcer” voice. I didn’t recognize your voice, finnegan, until the second play-through. I’m excited about the screening at CST and definitely hope to be there. Congrats!!

11. Tim says:

Brent, my computer is a piece of junk so I couldn’t watch the clip and judge the sexiness of your voice. Congratulations though, you must be excited, I can’t wait to see the full length feature.

Jeff…I’m pretty sure immigrant has always been spelled the same way. I don’t think anyone is trying to tarnish the reputation of legal immigrants or add any extra letters to everyday words. Does congress even have the power to add letters to words? Can it take letters out as well? Could it take that “u” out of Staunton so it’s spelled like people say it? That’s a spelling related cause I could get behind. Can it change other countries spelling? All those extra “x”s on the end of French words have always bugged the hell out me. Where is the spelling focused Democrat that the Shen valley so desperately needs!

I wondered if that was your voice but I couldn’t quite tell. I forgot to say Congratulations!

13. Gxeremio says:

“Is it now a human right to become an American?”

Interesting question. You know, Article 15 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (signed in 1948) says: “1. Everyone has the right to a nationality. 2. No one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his nationality nor denied the right to change his nationality.” That’s certainly open to interpretation but the case could be made that becoming an American might be a human right if the current laws are arbitrary.

14. Jeff White says:

Yeah – so you’re saying the UN might interpret that clause to mean that everyone has a right to whatever nationality they prefer?

I choose then, therefore, to be Australian. I always liked the idea of being a thousand miles from any threat – 16 million people distributed across a land area larger than the continental United States, and your strategic defense outsourced to the US.

In reality, of course, you need the permission of the nation whose nationality you want to change your nationality to, before you can ascribe to yourself all the privileges of being, say, from Outer Elbonia – assuming that is your dream.

Citizens of other countries wanting to become American actually need to get in a some sort of a line, imho – and need to get well behind all the taxpaying, language-speaking indigenous population – when competing for any sort of services but immediate lifesaving ones – in which case, they need to get behind EVERY native citizen who has a condition as bad as theirs, or worse.

And yes, the current laws are arbitrary. The Chinese Communists redacted their signature on the Universal Declaration of Human Rights – but indeed, how valid is the signature of any representative of any totalitarian regime on any document?

This is the central problem with so-called “international law.” All nations were not created equal – some are despotic tyrannical totalitarian regimes like that of Burma – who have no more claim to represent the interests of the people of that country than I do.

15. Sharra says:

Finnegan,
    I was hoping to contact you directly, but I can’t seem to do so. So this was my only option. I see here about the special screening of your documentary and I was hoping I could get more details concerning it. In fact, where is this clip from it, because I’d like to see that too…? Please contact me! I’d appreciate it!

I’m a big dummy! I had my dates mixed up and it looks like I will be able to go to this! I’m looking forward to it!

17. Gxeremio says:

Ah, there’s the appeal to the imaginary “line” that unskilled laborers are supposed to get in. There is no line for unskilled laborers to come to this country legally.

It’s like if you went to the DMV and there was one line that said “Serving Last Names A to K” and another that said “Serving Last Names L to V”. You, having the last name White, say, “What am I supposed to do?”. No one answers, except for one guy who says, “Well, buddy, you’d better not cut in front of any of the other lines! That wouldn’t be fair!”

18. Brent

I am very excited to see the entire piece at the advace screening. Congratualtions on your ability to give a voice to a side of the issue that is muddled in all the rancor. This is issue is first and formost, and lastly, and in between about people; real human beings.

Reminder: this screening is tonight. Admission is free. Just show up before 7:00.