The Latino Underground: Outstanding work, Brent

JGFitzgerald -- October 18th, 2007

Brent,

Regarding your documentary: Excellent, splendid, balanced, reasonable, well thought-out, sensitive, intelligent … I or anyone in the audience for the event could go on and on.

For those of you who didn’t make it to CST Thursday night, the documentary will be repeated 9 p.m. Monday, Oct. 22, on WVPT, and the DNR covered it here.

The consensus of those watching the immigration documentary Thursday was that it got the big picture by explaining the economics that created the immigration crisis, while also capturing the small picture of what life is like for the undocumented individual. The spontaneous outburst of applause when your name came up in the final credits says more than I can add.

22 Responses to “The Latino Underground: Outstanding work, Brent”

I really wish I could have made it to this. Cupcakes for my sons birthday beat you out :) I’m looking forward to seeing it when it airs though. Congratulations again Brent!

2. cook says:

I’m still not sure how you squeezed so much into one hour in a way that made so much sense. You have a gift, my friend.

3. Bubby says:

I’ve spent hours talking to people on all aspects of the immigration issue and didn’t gain the insight that this one hour film provided. I recommend it to everyone, especially folks in the Valley – which is prominently featured. Do yourself a favor. tune in on Monday night at 9 and get smarter.

4. David Troyer says:

I could hear the applause across the hall. Wish I could have made it.

5. Laura says:

Splendid work, finnegan! Really outstanding. You have a real gift for this…hope to see more of these from you!

6. Thanh says:

I want to repeat all of the above comments. You did a wonderful job and you captured so much so well. Just speaking for myself, for the amount of time I’ve spent thinking about immigration, economics, consumerism, globalization, human rights, family, etc I realize that oftentimes, even though I try not to, I end up thinking and discussiong each of those issues separately. Your documentary did a great job bringing them all together and showing how and reminding me how connected they are. I really want to show it to others. Thanks so much.

7. Frank J Witt says:

Having moved here from a small town that is being decimated by criminal immigrants (I do respect those immigrants that have legitimate jobs) and the crime and drugs that follow, I look forward to viewing this.

Thanks for all you time Fin, I hope your efforts educate and well as shine a light on your abilities.

8. Lowell Fulk says:

Congratulations Brent. Sounds like you produced a film that speaks to people. I agree with Cook.

Thanks for all the kind and encouraging remarks.

I look forward to moving on to other projects. My next one is a comedy film — I want to take a break from the political stuff for a while.

Out of curiosity, what other local (or state or national) issues would you like to see documentaries about? Growth and development is one that comes up a lot in conversations I have with people. Other ideas I’ve heard include payday lending, AIDS in the Valley, and water quality issues. Feel free to email me with ideas.

10. Luis Padilla says:

Hi Finnegan and hi everybody
    I have been very busy, but in a good way
    I just came back attending a seminar on marriage
    Marriage is so important to me and I would not mind Finnegan, a documentary on divorce in Virginia and the negative effect on family, children, education and on and on.
    I am the result of a broken marriage, but I broke the cycle, but my brother kept it running and now his son who is only 16 is becoming a father. I have so much to say about broken marriages. It is easier to break a marriage than a cell phone contract.
    My wife told me about the documentary, but I had class on real-estate this last Thursday, but I’ll be there this Monday. I hope to see many people from the community.
    I am also passionate about immigration
    See you then

It is airing on WVPT on Monday, it will not be at Court Square theater that day Mr. Padilla.

Sorry I just now realized that Joe had the link to the DNR article. I’m having a rough week!

Brent, just wanted to let you know that Ben and I rushed to nightmare last night to catch the documentary, it was very informative.

14. TM says:

I agree, Brent. Very succinct. For being only an hour-long doc, it was very informative and well-presented.

15. Sam Nickels says:

Congrats, Brent. You did a nice job catching a difficult topic. You used “Efrain” really well, captured his story perfectly. When I get the DVD I’ll show it to him. FYI, Chamber of Commerce Leadership Training Program is having a seminar that Laura Z and I will facilitate, and we plan on showing and discussing the film!
    Sam Nickels

16. Thanh says:

If you still haven’t seen finnegan’s documentary, I just saw on the WVPT webpage that its scheduled to play several more times:

VIRGINIA REPORTS: The Latino Underground
    October 26 at 10:00 p.m., October 28 at 3:00 p.m.,
    November 1 at 9:00 p.m., and December 11 at 9:00 p.m

Or you can buy a copy of the DVD and share it with your friends. Enjoy!

17. cook says:

The Latino Underground DVD is being offered for sale by the guys that “had to let Brent go” but sure looked happy to be receiving the praise intended for him last Thursday. Is there any (legal) way we can buy the DVD from Brent (or someone currently associated with Brent who will pass some of the proceeds on to him) rather than his former employer?

18. whackette says:

I was wondering the same thing. Is Finnegan profiting from this at all? I hope so.

19. Finnegan, I watched tonight’s replay (and DVR’d it for future viewings).

Great job. It was a well-put together piece. The transitions were sensible, and you covered a lot in such a relatively small period of time given the subject matter.

While I naturally disagreed with some of the opinions espoused (knowing me, I’m sure you would expect that), I thought you did a very good job of at least trying to showcase multiple viewpoints. A key topic that I thought you did a good job on was how you portrayed Todd Gilbert as something other than some anti-Hispanic zealot (there are those that see him that way).

I honestly hope this leads to bigger and better things for you, Brent. You did an excellent job with this.

As for future subject matter…well, this may make you laugh, but a feature on political blogging could be interesting if done right, and you could probably pull it off well. Given that blogs have become such a popular way for people to express their political opinions, it would be interesting. If nothing else, you can provide a peek at how these people differ/parallel their virtual personas.

After checking out the blogospheres in other states…Virginia’s is definitely one of the top 5 “sphere’s” in terms of the diversity of opinions and amount of activity and participation.

Just a thought, and I’d be more than happy to contribute since we never got to work together again after the last episode of Virginia Viewpoints. :)

Those of you who saw The Latino Underground (or those who know a little something about NAFTA) might be interested to hear this NPR story.

The last of the Mexican tariffs on US corn imports are now gone. This will likely be the death blow to the farmers that remain in Mexico. Where else for them to go but El Norte?