Veteran’s Memorial Stadium

Brent Finnegan -- November 13th, 2007

Talk of JMU’s demolition and reconstruction of Veteran’s Memorial Stadium was featured heavily in the news yesterday. I posted something about this in March, but yesterday I received a few emails from some concerned residents.

What do you think about JMU’s plan to demolish the current stadium and build a new one?

72 Responses to “Veteran’s Memorial Stadium”

1. Gxeremio says:

Sheesh…sometimes watching you guys interact with Dave is like watching a Democratic debate when they pile on Hillary. Or a presidential press conference. Only more interesting.

May God save us all from being sarcastically quoted. :)

2. andy says:

Woohoo! I love it. Public relations advice from David Briggman. Hburgnews.com — your one-stop shop for community news, personal insults and now professional advice!

As far as speaking for you Dave – you didn’t even get my tweak. A few weeks back on this blog you posted and then reposted about 2 hours later that the person you were insulting that day had not responded and so the insults must be true. I was having you on.

Plus, I would never ever ever want to speak for you ever, Dave. Heck, I can’t even fathom what goes on in your mind, much less what you might say next.

And as far as my request for evidence that I or the university purposefully mislead in any of this, still nothing.

At the time of the story cited ad nauseum above, the university had no idea what was going to happen with the stadium. That’s why the statement is only about preserving the memorial. As soon as we had ascertained that the stadium was in bad enough shape that it needed replacing, I and my staff met with the neighborhood adjacent to the ballpark and informed them. This was months ago.

Dave and others, sorry you didn’t get the news until Veterans Day, but we informed the folks most closely affected by the decision.

Finally, if the university issued information to the media about every new development in what is a very large and sustained process, the media and the public would stop paying attention. That’s how public relations works.

But if you want to know how public relations really ought to work, ask Dave Briggman.

3. Dave Briggman says:

Emmy,

Guess you didn’t see my little “winky eye”, huh?

Jeremy called it right…maybe when I’m being sarcastic, I need to spell it out for some of the more dull-normal participants?

Would that assist you, Emmy, finnegan?

4. Dave Briggman says:

Always nice to have state employees on taxpayer dollars throwing out disinformation on blogs.

What goes on it my mind?

God knows it’s a terrible thing to expect government agencies, of which JMU is one, to follow the law and make some semblance of effort to ensure that accurate information is given about the intent of the University to the surrounding community.

JMU couldn’t could follow state law with respect to their firearms policy, which is why the A.G.’s Office fire JMU as a client. As far as the accuracy of information that YOU have personally imparted, I think we’ve demonstrated it has been, at times, inaccurate.

No thanks, Dave. You said, “I am not glued to this or any blog, so please don’t assume anything if I don’t post something back with even 12 hours,” (no winky face there) but have criticized others for slow or no response to your comments in the recent past.

I know this thread is rapidly straying away from the original topic, but for what it’s worth, Kelly Jasper had a great write-up about The Latino Underground in the DNR last month, but got the names of the interviewees swapped in the lead. Enrique is from Mexico, Milton is from El Salvador. But I didn’t feel like calling or emailing to make a correction. Anyone who reports information (be it in blogs or in news media) is bound to get stuff wrong.

As far as the stadium goes, I drive, bike, or walk past it on High Street practically every day. I’m not crazy about additional light pollution in the city, and I’m not looking forward to being stuck in traffic because of construction or during game nights, but if the Turks and city residents can benefit from better seating, and a new and improved stadium(s), I’m for it.

6. andy says:

Yeah, that’s the post Brent. I didn’t look to see that you had posted the reason why I was tweaking Dave with the “too long to respond” schtick.

Gosh, I love this blog.

I’m I wrong here dude?

8. andy says:

Last I checked, the AG remains the university’s counsel of record, Dave.

And blogs are considered legitimate public affairs and public relations forums now buy all practitioners. Oh, but I guess as an expert in PR Dave, you knew that.

And which *specific* information have I provided that is misleading?

I love the daylights outta HBurg

10. Dave Briggman says:

They were not your “counsel of record” during the lawsuit field against JMU. JMU was fired during the pendency of that lawsuit, yes or no?

The “firing” caused JMU to expend $10,000 solely because JMU was not in compliance with the law, yes or no?

Am I wrong here dude?
    No Walter……………….

12. andy says:

Dave’s right, the AG did not represent us in that lawsuit.

But to write that, “JMU couldn’t could follow state law with respect to their firearms policy, which is why the A.G.’s Office fire JMU as a client.” comes across as a final separation, which it was not — only over the firearms lawsuit.

Funny how the “entire” truth can sometimes seem purposefully obscured — even thought I am guessing that was not Dave’s intent. Maybe something to that.

David Miller, did I not answer you on something?

13. andy says:

Oh, and yes Dave, the university did spend $10,000 to defend itself in that case. Sorry not to answer that question directly.

The $10k came from non-taxpayer funds, BTW.

14. Barnabas says:

I’m making an assumption here about peoples concerns about additional light polution.
    I read alot about the lighting industry and lighting has advanced significantly in the past couple of years. While there may be more lights those lights if can be more accuratly focused on the subject area. That is if JMU pays for a top dollar lighting system.
    LED lights are a more focused and energy eficient kind of light. The majority of the trucking industry has already switched to these lights. Thats why now when a rig is pulling up behind you instead of having two moon sized spotlights shining on you it looks more like the lights off a toy.
    Now if JMU spends an astrinomical amount on new lights in an effort to eliminate the amount of light polution remember that they did it for you their neighbor and that because they did pay for better lights they are saving energy.

Andy, I was not commenting on you. Sorry if it came off that way.

16. Lowell Fulk says:

Barnabas is going in the right direction. Musco Lighting is a company we dealt with for lighting football and baseball fields.

17. Tim says:

Dave Briggman, off the radar…as always.

Why is this an intense debate? We are a gas station on the side of the road without JMU. Everybody who doesn’t make a buck off JMU raise your hand (then own up to your own falsehood).

Tim, I see where you’re going but……. Without JMu we are the breadbasket of the south (or were).

19. Gxeremio says:

Umm…I LOSE quite a few bucks to JMU as a student there. Need I remind you that Harrisonburg has 4 interstate exits and is the center of commerce for several surrounding counties? Unlike Blacksburg, we do not become a ghost town during school breaks or summers. Our non-student population is larger than our student population. This is not to say that JMU has no effect on our city, but it is not the only engine of economic stability here. Nor should JMU’s interests be the bottom line in city decision-making.