Blue Hole hearing

Brent Finnegan -- November 14th, 2007

In September, I passed along a little info about the fate of Blue Hole. The county BoS is thinking about selling it. The hearing is set for tonight at 7:00 at the county admin building. If the comments on today’s DNR story are any indication, the consensus is: don’t close it.

11 Responses to “Blue Hole hearing”

1. Karl Magenhofer says:

Why is the assumption that it would be closed if it were sold? The answer may lie somewhere in a question posed to the BOS last night “who would want to buy it?” That question came from someone in favor of keeping Blue Hole County property. Even supporters understand there are problems. Considering the only folks that could be causing the problems are the users themselves, how can their opinions be taken seriously?

Moving forward…Nancy Bondurant Jones offered some of her property at Blue Hole to provide access and parking that coule fix one of the biggest concerns.

Also worth noting last night (if I understood correctly), the no parking signs that are up have absolutely no legal basis behind them. You are not in violation of any law if you park underneath one of them.

2. John says:

You’ve got to assume that if Blue Hole were sold to a private entity, that private entity would not be ‘hurting for cash.’ Given that assumption, that private entity would be crazy to allow anyone to use it the way it is used now. Baseless lawsuits are filed every hour of every day. You can rest assured that if it is sold, it’s use will be limited or eliminated immediately.

3. Frank J Witt says:

I spoke to a young man (19) last night about Blue Hole. He frequents the swimming hole and sees alot of problems there. Drugs being number 1, and probably foremost. Trespassing is another problem. He asked me if there were to be a group of adults that could possibly be a “watch group” and I told him I could float it around and see if there is anyway to organize a group that might have some sort of “say” when they see bad things going on, or it is strictly up to the Sheriff’s Office.

I could volunteer my Sundays, but that is about it.

I’ll admit that I haven’t been there in years. However, my ex took my boys there this summer and I asked him about the conditions there. He said it was clean and they were the only people there with the exception of some guy who came by and checked the trash cans. He said that guy mentioned people starting fires there but that was all. I guess they must have hit it on a good day.

I forgot the rest of my statement. D’oh. I think things could go either way if a private entity bought it. I lean towards thinking it would be closed to public use though. I don’t know how this stuff works but can the parks department become involved with this somehow (or are they already)? I would think that if they were they could treat it the same way that other public access places are treated and it could return to being a nice place.

6. bill says:

I can’t imagine anyone wanting to purchase the property. Perhaps an adjacent landowner if the price were low enough, but the liability should be a clear obstacle for anyone with an ounce of sense.

7. Frank J Witt says:

Being that it is part of the Shenandoah river system, a new owner could buy it and put up No Trespassing signs like someone did down in Port Republic. Then, if you trespass and get injured, I don’t think you can sue for damages, as you weren’t supposed to be there to begin with.

You can fish at the “boat” landing in PR but if you venture too much to the right (down [up] stream) you take a chance of trespassing. Litter was a huge reason the new owner put the signs up, he did however try and convince people to “take what they brought” but that didn’t work.

I hope you are onto something Emmy about the park service. I will help if I can.

8. John says:

I’d love to purchase that property! I think it’d be a fantastic investment (if you have patience). From a real estate standpoint, a fact about ANY waterfront property — God ain’t making any more of it. Any time you have a limited supply of something, it tends to have the makings of a good investment.

The drawback -again- is the liability. Posting NO TRESPASSING signs will not prevent some bozo from suing you regardless of how ‘in the wrong’ that party is. Even with frivolous lawsuits, the defandant generally ‘lawyers up’ — which is rediculously expensive. Been there, done that.

John, your statement about God ain’t making any more of it is true. Human action though will shortly be erasing current waterfront property, then making new waterfronts. Say in the middle of Virginia :) Beach Frontage in Charlottesville would be a great investment.

10. John Marr says:

Dave, why? Are we really going to have to have the Global Warming debate again? :)

Hell no :) I don’t have that much free time