Saxman for US Senate?

Brent Finnegan -- November 19th, 2007

The buzz on the VA political blogosphere recently has been news that Saxman may run for John Warner’s Senate seat next year. According to the News Leader, Delegate Chris Saxman (currently representing southern Rockingham) may challenge former Governor Jim “No Car Tax” Gilmore (and possibly a handful of other conservatives) for the Republican nomination. Whoever emerges from that pool will be up against this guy.

6 Responses to “Saxman for US Senate?”

1. Karl Magenhofer says:

Lt. Governor Bill Bolling on WSVA yesterday said he’d advise Saxman to stay out of the race.

Yeah. I think he’d get crushed by Warner. I’m not sure how seriously to take his bid.

I don’t think it would be wise of him to run against Warner if he actually wants the seat. However, I am constantly amazed at how people in this state vote, so anything is possible.

God bless Warner for proving to VA that Dems can be great representatives. Good luck to the sap that has to run against him.

5. Dave Briggman says:

If Gilmore is the candidate, I’m supporting Mark Warner…I actually got a call today from Courtney, his political director for his campaign…I’d be inclined to support Warner no matter what which Republican runs against him.

6. Chris says:

To Karl’s comment regarding Bolling and his advice to Chris – perhaps Bolling has an ulterior motive there. I think Chris’ eyes are on the LG prize in ’09 – and I wouldn’t rule out an intraparty nomination challenge if Bolling were to decide to stay at #2 for four more years instead of running for the gubernatorial nomination.
    And remember, Chris backed Bolling’s opponent for the LG nomination in ’05, Sean Connaughton. So I’m not sure that there is all that much love lost between Chris and Bill.