Black Friday Stories

Brent Finnegan -- November 26th, 2007

The DNR and TV3 ran stories about the high numbers of shoppers at stores on the east side of town. Amber Lester (formerly of Rocktown) blogged about how much fun it was (note the toppled lamp post in her photo of Circuit City).

I suppose it’s to be expected in our commercial-driven culture. The message we hear is that “consumerism is good for the economy.” But most of that commerce is taking place in corporate big box stores. Where is that money going? I’d like to know if or how Black Friday hurts locally-owned businesses.

10 Responses to “Black Friday Stories”

For as much as I love to shop, I don’t do Black Friday. I could be wrong, but I really doubt it does any more damage to local stores than any other time of the year. Most people I know that shop that day are going for very low prices on very specific items. They usually were planning to buy these items anyway, so it wouldn’t have made a difference. Most people are home by 6:00 and all other shopping they do for the holidays is pretty normal. I did the black Friday thing one year and swore I’d never do it again. I don’t need anything bad enough to wait in line at four in the morning. From what I’m reading, this year was not all that great. Most of the “deals” weren’t really a deal.

2. Barnabas says:

Most Black Friday “deals” aren’t on quality merchandise. In my 8 years of retail I never saw something that was really worth waiting for. My experience was primarily with electronics and all the door buster items were stripped down versions of better products. If you by these items your not getting a good deal your getting a low price on an inferior product. The only effect I could see this having on the local stores is that people that would have normally bought a product from them changed their mind because of the super low prices at the mega store. So if your buying a computer, camera, dvd player, tv or anyhting else for a child or a spare room than these deals may be worth it for you.

3. Kyle says:

What’s ironic is that amongst this whirlwind consumer frenzy the real spirit of Christmas is lost on most of these supposed “Christians.”

4. Kyle says:

Here’s one explanation of why depression and suicides spike during this “festive” consumer madness.

Well, I know plenty of non-religious folks who still exchange gifts on the 25th of December. And just as there are RINOs (Republicans in name only) there are Christians in name only — people who go to church every once in a while, but don’t really believe in (or exemplify) many of the core values of the religion.

So, I don’t view it as a Christian or religious thing. I see it as a culture of commercialism and consumerism that affects most Americans; be they Christian, Muslim, atheist, or spiritualist.

6. Josh says:

Does anyone know if there’s going to be a screening of “What Would Jesus Buy?” in the area?

Not according to the e-mail I got about it. I’d love to see it. I hear Morgan Spurlock.

8. Jay says:

For our wine shop downtown, black friday is often one of the slowest days of the holiday season. Downtown used to have a holidays downtown event on Black Friday, but moved it to another date because of the lack attendance. Black Friday is generally a disappointing beginning to the holiday season for us.

9. Tim says:

Cally’s was slow as well, which is common. I wish downtown got to cash in a little more but I think anyone crazy enough to go shopping on that day is looking for what a chain store offers.

10. Annelise says:

I always observe the day after Thanksgiving as Buy Nothing Day.