urban exploration

Brent Finnegan -- November 28th, 2007

Yesterday, I spotted an ad posted on Craigslist by someone looking for a partner(s) in urban explorations in the area. After a little searching, I found this Breeze article from March, 2006, about two JMU students interested in the same thing.

I suppose I did this sort of thing when I was a teenager, but I had no idea it had become a world-wide trend, complete with its own clubs and websites and lingo.

10 Responses to “urban exploration”

1. Kyle says:

UE is fun, every major city has at least one club. It’s much more popular in Europe though where the cities are older and have more forgotten places to explore. Many people have found valuable artifacts and long lost treasures like artwork.

It’s not for the faint hearted or cowardly though, you can get lost, run into some weirld people and even get arrested.

2. TM says:

I’m same as you finnegan. I didn’t know my aimless, adolescent wandering was a hobby. I wish I could’ve told my mom it was a hobby then!
    This still sounds fun. Out of nothing but sheer curiosity… what penalty would one incur for being caught UEing?
    The one place I’ve always wanted to poke around: that old hospital near downtown Staunton… Not that I’m going to…

3. Josh says:

Trespassing?

4. Kyle says:

TM….trespassing is the big one. Many of these places that people explore have been condemned or otherwise deemed unsafe, and many places are owned by local governments like subways, drainage sewers and some old buildings. Other places are considered historical and are protected, like London’s WWII bunkers and Paris’s catacombs. Police in large cities have been cracking down lately on UEers.

5. John says:

Yeah, just a fancy way of saying ‘trespasser’.

I’ve had a couple meetings with officials from the city who use the term “urban outdoorsman” for the homeless folks downtown. There used to be a whole squad of them living in a building I own in a very scary underground parking garage.

6. Josh says:

Virginia Code § 18.2-119 – Trespass after having been forbidden to do so; penalties

Virginia Code § 18.2-121 – Entering property of another for purpose of damaging it, etc

Virginia Code § 18.2-130 – Peeping or spying into dwelling or enclosure

Virginia Code § 18.2-134 – Trespass on posted property

Hm… Virginia Code § 18.2 sounds like no fun.

8. Tim says:

Every law seems to be based on not being sued, the land of the free is definately not the land of fun.

9. TM says:

Hmm… perhaps I’ll continue to limit my urban exploration to routing through my co-workers desks.
    Although, one day I hope to hike the entire length of Harrisonburg Crossing.

10. linz says:

Finding out that the most rebellious thing I ever did is actually many peoples’ hobby/club makes my own experience seem less “rebellious.” I feel cheated. :-)