Did anyone notice?

Jeremy Aldrich -- December 17th, 2007

WHSV apparently writes their script well in advance of their newscast. For things that have already happened, that makes sense, but they also seem to do it with things that they expect to happen but haven’t happened yet. Case in point: Saturday night’s news at 6 (you can see video from the Dec. 15 broadcast on WHSV’s website) was all about the major storm that wasn’t happening. Here are some quotes:

“This major storm could cause a lot of problems within the next 24 hours.”(Does using the word “could” make this news?)

“This storm is bringing some pretty slick road conditions with it.” (followed immediately by a VDOT interview with a woman who said, “Right now everything is pretty clear.”)

“VDOT will be hitting the roads shortly to start spreading the salt.” (2 hours later, my wife and I were still out on the town with no salt, or moisture, on the roads)

“This winter storm could mean more disadvantages aside from treacherous road conditions…It’s hard to predict how long some of us will be without electricity.”(Any treachery out there? Any power outages that effected more than just isolated buildings?)

“With this winter storm expected to deal a major blow to the Valley, we have some important tips…” (Cutaway to a reporter standing outside in front of the studio, no precipitation falling.)

Maybe they should, you know, look over their scripts a few minutes before going on the air. It might also help to check weather.com, which correctly revised its forecast as conditions changed.

58 Responses to “Did anyone notice?”

1. Justin says:

So if WHSV wasn’t hyping things up, were the reporting on certain areas and not actually mentioning what they were?

The thread is pretty off topic now. Is there anything left to discuss about the news coverage?

2. Marty says:

WHSV News is hilarious, comedy gold. I love when I get a chance to catch it on the weekends.

A+++++++++++++++++++++, will watch again!!!1!!!11!

3. Kyle says:

“Well they looked into getting a generator and explored all the possibilities and it wasn’t feasible or practical.”
    ————————————————————————-
    Wow, does your brother understand the little value that you put on his life? Hmmmmm….my life or a few dollars spent on a generator……I’m sorry for sounding crass, but this bothers me. Emmy, I mean no disrespect, and I obviously don’t know your specific situation, but if you e-mail me, I’m personally willing to buy your brother a generator and pay to have it installed. No joke, no high hopes, I promise. I hope you and your family have a Great and Blessed Christmas.

Kyle, with all due respect you don’t know our situation and I find it very rude of you to say that we don’t put much value on my brother’s life because he doesn’t have a generator. The child is 8 and I spent day after day with him while I was pregnant at UVA because we thought he was going to die. He’s been sick since birth and may always be on a vent. You have no idea what we’ve been through nor why my step mother and father made the decision that they did not to buy one. If I’m not mistaken, they were actually advised against it. But this has nothing to do with my brother except for the fact that Karl said the ice storm was not news and I beg to differ because there are people out there who do think it is a big deal when they lose power. I won’t be discussing this with you any more. I can assure you that my brother is very well cared for and a very happy little boy whose life is quite valuable to everyone who has had the pleasure of meeting him.

5. Kyle says:

Emmy,
    Please re-read my previous post. I specifically apologized for sounding crass, and stated that I meant no disrespect. Even though I’ve never met you, I respect you as a blogger as I have read many of your comments over the past several months. I happen to think that you are one of the most honest and sincere posters on this site and I have no doubt that you are doing the best for your family. Please do not think that I’m calling you out, its just that, as a blogging observer, the conversation just came off wrong. As I mentioned before, and I hope you don’t think this condecending, if there is anything I can do in terms of your brother’s support, please let me know. I hope you and your family have a Wonderful Christmas and New Years…..

6. Lowell Fulk says:

Emmy,
    Kyle is sincere. I know him well.
    There truely are real and good people who are willing to help when needed, and Kyle is such a person.

And quite honestly, this is none of my business in any way what so ever. Please forgive me for stepping beyond where I belong.

But I just wanted to let you know that Kyle sincerely cares, and makes no offer which is not real, and equally sincere.

I’m sure Kyle is sincere and that’s great. But when you start something by saying “sorry if this sounds crass” and then you go right ahead and sound crass, it negates the previous statement. I appreciate his offer, but we are well able to provide him with everything he needs and at this time he does not need a generator. I used it as an example and clearly I shouldn’t have.

8. Kyle says:

One last comment Emmy and then I’ll put it too rest. I’m sorry that I read too much into this, as for the comment about “sounding crass”, I make no apology. I knew that any comment that I made regarding the issue would quite possibly be taken the wrong way, therefore the disclaimer. Sometimes that’s necessary for open discourse. At least I had the decency to forewarn, in the hopes that the comment would be taken in the proper context, so we could continue a good conversation.
    Again I apologize for the tone and personal nature of my comments, I truly did not mean to be butt head. Peace.