crash at Oasis

Brent Finnegan -- December 26th, 2007

I haven’t been in town or online very much over the past few days, so I was surprised to find out that a car crashed through the window at Oasis art gallery downtown.

UPDATE: It doesn’t look that bad. One window is boarded up, and there’s some exterior damage under that window.

7 Responses to “crash at Oasis”

1. Frank J Witt says:

There are probably 5 times a day I drive thru that intersection from Water Street and EVERY time I slow to almost a stop, always afraid someone will not notice the stop light. When approaching that light on 11, the light gets lost among the city’s lights and the stop lights from further up the road. Maybe a STOP sign should replace the traffic light. That way, everyone MUST stop…hopefully.

Just my thoughts of course.

Frank
    I think a STOP & PRAY sign would be appropriate. This intersection and the intersection by the Public Safety building are enormously nerve racking to go through without stopping to check on other drivers. Now we know that it was the right decision to do so, all along!

3. Barb says:

I was clobbered there a few years ago. I was westbound; the light had been green for about 10-15 seconds. The uninsured driver who hit me swore he had the green light, but the ten or so people who rushed to my car and said they would testify, asserted that I had the right-of-way.

Bad intersection with poor visibility. I avoid it.

4. Josh says:

Let us not forget an accident very similiar to that one about a year ago that crashed into Luigi’s.

5. Mark Batten says:

Following that accident I contacted several government agencies to see if we could prevent the same from happening again. A car also drove into the front of the building when it was Dave’s Taverna. My main concern was the numerous accidents that were occurring after the lights at that intersection went to blinking red and green at midnight (often involving the delivery drivers for a local restaurant). I was told that the lights were set to blink years ago when that was one of the only lights downtown and farmers complained about having to wait at the light when using the road at night. I was told a study would be done to record how many accidents had occurred at that location and changes would be made if necessary. That was many many months ago.

Batten

I hope that something good will come of this. I only wonder what can be improved. This accident occurred at 9pm (according to WHSV). During that time period, the light would have been functioning normally. I hate that intersection, my heart races every time I go through without pausing to check.

7. Tom Moffett says:

I responded to that call and from the very beginning, the at fault party admitted he ran the red light. He was very apologetic and was concerned and pleased that no one was injured.