Bridgewater Bypass

Brent Finnegan -- January 28th, 2008

The period for public comment has ended. WSVA reports that “two build options for the road that aims to reduce traffic on Main Street and Dinkle Avenue […] have been presented, both with costs estimated above 40-million dollars. Both roads begin at Route 257 near the Rescue Squad, but join Route 42 at different points.”

There have been several DNR stories on the issue, but I haven’t heard much talk of what a bypass would do to businesses along 42 in town. Wouldn’t it hurt in-town commerce?

8 Responses to “Bridgewater Bypass”

1. Karl Magenhofer says:

Please note that the Commonwealth Transportation Board could also choose a no-build option.

Karl, at any of those meetings, was there any discussion of how this would affect (hurt) businesses in town that rely on drive-by customers?

3. Karl Magenhofer says:

Finn, the short answer is no. But…I can tell you that Bridgewaters concern seems to be “through” traffic and town officials think there will still be plenty of cars on Main Street to support business. I don’t know how to word this, but there is also some sense that biz will benefit from a less congested Main Street. Kinda like I avoid Port Road because I know it will be slow going. That’s a little apples and oranges since Starbucks and stores nearby on Port have good foot traffic, but I’m trying to convey that BH2O businesses lose some possible clientele that just don’t want to be bothered with a slow moving, jam packed Main Street. Hopefully some of that makes sense.

Karl,

The relevant principle here seems to be that shopping benefits from a Main Street, not a through street. The bypass would be the latter, letting Main Street be Main Street.

Let us leave alone the question of what Port Road is. While I was concerned closely with such things, there were many meetings about Port Road. I’m sure there will be more.

5. cook says:

Karl is right. Some of us in Dayton would prefer to shop in Bridgewater but find ourselves heading north on 42 because it just takes too long to get in and out of Bridgewater.

Just from a Downtown Harrisonburg resident and business owner, I’d love a bypass. Unfortunately for us, Main is the bypass (for 81). Days when 81 closes are hilarious downtown. I can imagine the tradeoffs for businesses like the Quarles in Bridgewater but for a store of my type, it would benefit us.

7. Marcus says:

Having a non walk-in traffic in downtown Harrisonburg it’d be a great benefit for us to give our clients quicker and easier access to visiting our office. I don’t know how many businesses like Immerge are in that area.

8. Karl Magenhofer says:

This blog continues to wag the dog when it comes to the local media. I wake up to find a story on this very topic in today’s Daily News Record. In it, Bob Holton pretty much confirmed what has been said here.