exit 247

Brent Finnegan -- February 11th, 2008

Do a search for “exit 247” (the 33 cloverleaf) on the DNR’s site, and you’ll see headlines with words like “wreck” “accident” and “injuries.”

The News Leader is reporting that VDOT will hold a citizen information meeting March 11, from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m., “concerning proposed safety improvements to the Interstate 81 exit 247 interchange at Va. 33 in Harrisonburg.”

From the NL:

Currently the I-81 southbound side of the interchange is experiencing twice the number of accidents as the northbound side. With this interchange configuration, the right I-81 southbound lane services traffic both exiting and entering Route 33, creating a weaving traffic pattern. The conflict point in the right I-81 southbound lane is the location of many traffic accidents […] The meeting will be held at the VDOT Harrisonburg Residency office, located at 3536 North Valley Pike in Harrisonburg. Citizens can come in during the meeting hours and discuss the project on a one-on-one basis with VDOT officials and designers.

Any idea where the estimated $2,000,000 for exit improvements would come from?

12 Responses to “exit 247”

1. TM says:

Abusive driver f-…
    Illegal immigrant tax?

2. Reagandem says:

Maybe it could come from the taxes already paid and to be paid in the future? That entire interchange is dangerous whether you are exiting 81 or getting on to 81. Surely changes here could be given some legitimate priority over other transportation projects in the Commonwealth.

3. TM says:

How about a toll just on that exit? People already slow down enough (or stop completely) to throw a couple quarters in a basket.

Ha! I think I know what you’re talking about, TM. Apparently “Yield” is Valleyspeak for “Stop no matter what.”

But I think Obenshain has already preemptively 86’d your idea.

5. I have often wondered what the idiot was thinking when that exit was designed. I avoid that area at all costs.

6. David Troyer says:

That or not stop at all. Absolutely no one yields merging onto 33E off of the northbound exit.

I’m pretty sure when the exit was built it had significantly less traffic and I have also heard rumors that they were somehow strong-armed by the landowners to go with the cloverleaf which uses much less land.

7. ammc says:

Even when the exit had significantly less traffic people still didn’t know how to drive it. Maybe a mandated driving seminar is in order. Ha. Might be cheaper.

8. http://www.nbc29.com/Global/story.asp?S=7995488&nav=menu496_2_5

The meeting is TONIGHT, so if you want to see what the exit and surrounding areas will look like, get there or be square.