Drew & Sam on Immigration, Electability

Brent Finnegan -- April 1st, 2008

Some quick video interviews I shot with 6th District Democratic candidates Drew Richardson and Sam Rasoul after their debate in Harrisonburg earlier this evening.

Rasoul and Richardson are running against each other this spring for the Democratic Party nomination to run against Rep. Bob Goodlatte in November.

Tags: ,

10 Responses to “Drew & Sam on Immigration, Electability”

1. kestrel9000 says:

Interesting stuff in that twitter:

bfinnegan Drew takes stab @ sam’s ties to cobalt 6 w/ cartoon comment.

hburggxeremio Rich says he won’t be associated with groups that lampoon Goodlatte. I guess he won’t be contributing 2 Crocktown

I looked for the part where Drew, in the same or similar spirit, rejected and denounced the “closet Republican” smear of Sam put forth by Dr. Richardson’s surrogate, Rick Howell, which was based on a blog posting by Zak Moore, (who is an UNCLOSETED Republican and was reportedly involved with the “lightning bolt” matter in the George Allen campaign, as well as other…unpleasantries…during his tenure as chair of the JMU College Republicans), but I couldn’t find it.
    They must have been out of the room or something.

All the “SurgeBob” and horse jockey etc. jabs at Goodlatte on Cobalt6 come from ME. They have nothing to do with Sam, but rather, with Goodlatte. I don’t work for Sam, nor do I hold a position with his campaign. Sam’s never paid me a dime. He’s never so much as bought me a beer.

Howell, however?
    On Drew’s payroll, as I understand it.

So I guess it’s okay to use paid surrogates to attack another Democrat, yet when an independent blogger attacks the Republican opponent, you use that independent blogger’s support of your opponent to attack him?

I don’t get that at all.

2. kestrel9000 says:

Oh, by “independent blogger”, I mean, “independent of any campaign”, not “independent” as opposed to “Democrat.”
    For a Democrat I am, ya know…:)

3. Gxeremio says:

Sam did mention being called a “closet Republican” while he was talking about the ability the Internet gives to the common man to voice his opinions. If I had been able to type instead of text, my notes would have been a lot more thorough. Sorry.

4. Gxeremio says:

Let me say this about the immigration question: in the debate, neither were very specific other than both wanting a “virtual fence”. I really wonder where they’re getting the information they base their opinions on.

In the video clip, Richardson seems to have a better understanding of the issues, which is kind of surprising since Rasoul’s parents are immigrants. On health care, though, I tend to agree with Rasoul. It’s still something of a toss-up for who I think would represent my views best.

5. kestrel9000 says:

Ok, Sam mentioned the Howell smear, but what (I’d love to know) did Howell’s employer have to say about it?

6. Gxeremio says:

There was very little allowance for rebuttal, and it really seemed like a non-issue at the debate anyway. I did talk to Adam Sharp, an old friend of mine and Richardson’s campaign manager, to tell him I was disappointed with the negative tone so far in the blogosphere, but as the other thread points out the blogosphere is not the biggest constituency in the 6th district race.

7. Bubby says:

I thought it was pretty clear – Richardson is running directly against Goodlatte and expecting that 99% of caucus Democrats have no clue about what rages on in the blogs…a not altogether risky strategy. After all, Goodlatte stands with President28% on illegal wiretapping, war in Iraq, trade policy, and stone-walling health care reform. Goodlatte votes ideology over his constituents. He is a ripe target in an election cycle focused on change.

8. Lowell Fulk says:

Just checking to see if my posts are getting through yet.

9. MF says:

We should have the entire debate on youtube today, will post up a link when I upload it.

10. Lowell Fulk says:

Just checking to see if my posts are yet getting through.