Upcoming traffic changes around JMU

Evan Dyson -- April 29th, 2008

Tuesday afternoon James Madison University announced upcoming traffic changes related to the construction of the pedestrian tunnel under South Main Street to the Performing Arts Center.

On Monday, May 5, southbound traffic on S. Main Street between Cantrell Avenue and Bluestone Drive will be rerouted to High Street.

Altered traffic patterns around the construction area are expected to continue through August 2. To continue reading this article, click here.

11 Responses to “Upcoming traffic changes around JMU”

So, if I understand the release correctly, southbound Main Street between Cantrell and Bluestone will be closed for the next three months.

Jesus, I didn’t even think that was possible because of the 81 bypass rule.

3. Thanh says:

Yes. Southbound Main Street between Cantrell and Bluestone will be rerouted onto High Street.

“A detailed image of the detour map is available at http://www.jmu.edu/news/PAC-detour-map.pdf

4. johnmarr says:

I think we are all missing the most important issue here:

Will I still be able to visit Buffalo Wild Wings? If not, I think this plan needs to be rethunked.

I’m just sayin’…

BW3 customers will be redirected to Finnigan’s as a way of making up for lost business to the latter during the pedestrian bridge … oh, sorry, I thought I was on Crocktown.

6. johnmarr says:

Whoa, whoa, whoa, now you just hold it right there.

I’m not going to Finnigan’s Cove unless I can get a guarantee from the city that I will receive the same deliciously over-rated wings and mediocre to sub-par service I would have gotten at BW3’s.

7. Seth says:

and trivia. nothing like testing your wits against inebriated wing lovers from sea to shining sea.

8. Scott Rogers says:

I wonder if they checked the traffic counts to see if either direction has higher volume (11 going north versus south). In some ways I suspect there may be more traffic going south — in which case they should allow the single lane to be used in that direction. OR — we could pull a move out of the playbook of larger cities, and have the directional flow switch at some point during the afternoon to accomodate for commuting patterns. :)

9. David Troyer says:

Scott,

With a similar token, if they can’t appropriate funds for port republic in time, the county could make Port Republic between Neff and Reservoir/Ridgedale two-lane east-bound only. Then, reroute West Bound traffic on the same stretch via Reservoir/Neff. Problem solved. :-D

10. Scott Rogers says:

David — I think you and I have a future in traffic planning! :)