Sam pays for your gas

Brent Finnegan -- June 2nd, 2008

This is a political campaign stunt I’m not familiar with: paying for part of your gas. Sam Rasoul, Bob Goodlatte’s hybrid car-driving Democratic challenger is planning a campaign event at the Texaco Food Mart on South Main High this Wednesday, June 4th at 4:00 for 40 minutes. A press release sent out by Rasoul states that his campaign will be pumping gas, and paying for one dollar per gallon (up to 10 gallons).

It’s interesting to me that the Texaco station is serviced by Holtzman Corp., which is owned by a well-known, politically active Republican family.

Tags: ,

14 Responses to “Sam pays for your gas”

1. NewHburger says:

Talk about walk-around-money! Looks like Sam’s pulling out all the stops. I suspect folks will just show up for the cheap gas and care less about the campaign.

2. Karl says:

There’s a difference between South High and South Main isn’t there?

3. Karl says:

Just in case my last post wasn’t clear…Holtzman’s property is on South High. The Rasoul event is on South Main.

Good catch, Karl. Clearly my reading skills are operating on a Monday morning level.

My apologies for the mistake.

I Googled “texaco harrisonburg ‘south main'” to find it on a map, and Holtzman was the first entry. I called to confirm, but I guess I called the wrong station — there is no Texaco S Main listed in the yellow pages (online or in the book).

5. Ally says:

Just to clarify, the event is at 953 S Main Street (between Patterson and Warsaw on Main St., if that helps).

Questions? info@samrasoul.us

6. cook says:

I think you mean the Texaco on S. High Street.

I don’t have a photographic memory, but I’m pretty sure there is no Texaco (nor any other gas station) between Patterson and Warsaw. That whole section of Main is closed off anyway due to the ongoing construction of the JMU PAC.

8. Ally says:

Correction: the event is at 953 South HIGH Street.
    Sorry about the confusion.

So I was right the first time. The “Food Mart Texaco” at 953 S. High Street is owned by Holtzman. That’s the HQ for Royal Cab.

I have no idea where this is because despite living here my whole life, I can’t tell you how to get anywhere unless you have also lived here your whole life and know where the “old thus and so” is.

That being said, if I did know, I’d stay as far away from this place at this time as humanly possible. I get what he’s trying to accomplish here, but I think all he’s really going to do is create a bit of a frenzy, and not really get his name out there any more than it already is. People are going to come for the cheap (cheaper) gas, but I doubt they’ll be paying a bit of attention to why it costs less. I could be totally wrong though, and frankly, I hope I am.

11. Seth says:

why does it cost less?
    we need to be paying more for gas. it’s the only way we’re going to change our behaviour. the democrats for cheaper gas but a greener environment movement perplexes me.

(and if you’re in the market for one of the kitschy backlit pictures of a waterfall where it looks sort of like the water is actually flowing, they have a great selection)

12. Jeremy Aldrich says:

Well Seth, they considered an event where people would pay $1 MORE a gallon while the candidate was there, but surprisingly no one seemed interested in coming.

If you would like to arrange to give a donation in exchange for pumping your gas, I’m sure Rasoul would be happy to work with you on that.

13. Seth says:

:) you should have saved that one.

i’m just saying that i think cheap gas can be as much of a symptom of american overconsumption as an antecedent.

one side probably wouldn’t care as much about that. the other might like us to think that they do.

the only way i’ll be giving a donation is if sam washes my car in a bikini.