Threatdown: Bears

Brent Finnegan -- August 6th, 2008

A reader pointed out that TV3 ran two stories about bear sightings near Purcell Park yesterday.

I was jogging in Purcell yesterday morning. I didn’t see any bears, but I did see this. Now I’m thinking TV3 should trade in their “Crime Where You Live” segments for a local Threatdown.

17 Responses to “Threatdown: Bears”

1. Brian M says:

I think it should be quite obvious to anyone that these two events are related. Smokey the Bear simply visiting the site of an intentionally set fire to remind kids that only THEY can prevent forest fires.

p.s. Thanks for the Stephen Colbert reference. We were forewarned about the threat of bears.

2. Dave Briggman says:

It’s not “Smokey the Bear”, it’s “Smokey Bear”. :-)

3. zen says:

A few weeks ago, a black bear ran out in front of my car on 66. It was a bit surreal.

4. NewHburger says:

They were actually looking in the area across Port Republic Road around Maplehurst, Hillcrest and Fairview Avenues.

When I came home for lunch, the police and game wardens that were surrounding our neighborhood were pretty darn sure they were on the trail of a year-old black bear. But by 1 p.m., my 3 year-old said it was OK to go outside now because, “Mommy scared the bear away!”

Moral of the story… don’t mess with mommy.

5. Brian M says:

In the spirit of accuracy, you are correct Dave. Technically he is Smokey Bear. I read this on his website:

“In 1952 Steve Nelson and Jack Rollins wrote the anthem that would cause a debate among Smokey enthusiasts for the next several decades. In order to maintain the correct rhythm, the writers added a “the” between “Smokey” and “Bear.” As testament to the song’s popularity, Smokey Bear became known as “Smokey The Bear” to many adoring fans, but in actuality his name never changed, and he is still known correctly as Smokey Bear.”

Thanks for the correction. lol

6. Dave Briggman says:

I still call him Smokey the Bear anyhow.

7. seth says:

i think the article belongs, check the song…

smokey the bear
    smokey the bear
    prowlin and a growlin
    and a sniffin the air.
    he can smell a fire
    before it starts to flame.
    that’s why they call him smokey and that’s how he got his name.

i think that settles it

8. seth says:

that my friends, is why you should read all the comments before firing off your own.

I thought it was a travesty myself. Sort of like when they put the yellow background on Batman’s symbol.

Perhaps Smokey Bear (note uppercase), but Smokey the bear (lc)?

10. Mike says:

Please people. Everyone knows it’s Smoke E. Bear, super genius.

11. Smokey Bear says:

For the record, I did not sign up for this gig.

12. Evan says:

Not sure if it is the same bear… but a young bear wandered through downtown this evening. More at the Valley Observer: http://valleyobserver.com/2008/08/07/young-black-bear-visits-downtown-harrisonburg/

Wow. Compare that to this.

That’s what I thought Brent!

15. Josh says:

Hah, we’re all on the same track. Evan is so talented! Citizen journalism prevails… again. :)

Can’t believe I’m defending the DNR, but to put it in perspective, the newspaper probably did 12-15 local stories that day, and each of those reporters were probably working on three.

Just wanted to make clear that it’s the political and management philosophies of the place that are failures, not necessarily the youngsters working there.

17. Barnabas says:

I don’t think that was really as much of a bash on the DNR as it was a praising of Evan. But I’d much rather have one good story than three crappy ones, if given the choice.

And on a completely unrelated topic, the announcer at the Augusta County Fair pretty much ruined the Demolition Derby. The station wagon catching on fire was it’s only redemption. I hope RoCo’s is better.