Warner addresses Democratic National Convention

Evan Dyson -- August 26th, 2008

Tuesday evening in Denver, former Virginia Governor Mark Warner took the stage at the Democratic National Convention to provide his support for presidential candidate Barack Obama. Following a standing ovation and rhythmic chant of “Warner, Warner, Warner” from the audience, he took the podium shortly after 9:40.

Earlier this summer, Warner, who is a candidate for U.S. Senate, toured Virginia with an optimistic message of how his administration, while Governor, had worked to improve the state budget and the slowing economy. He echoed those sentiments Tuesday night for a nation under Obama and Biden.

“We need a president who understands the world today, the future we seek and the change we need,” he said in his opening remarks. “We need Barack Obama as the next President of the United States.”

For this full article, with links to the full transcript, visit The Valley Observer.

14 Responses to “Warner addresses Democratic National Convention”

I was at Ham’s, along with dozens of local Democrats gathered there to hear the speech.

A pretty clear theme of the past vs the future — especially Jefferson’s quote, “I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past.”

Lots of Warnerisms in there. Those that have heard him speak in Harrisonburg are familiar with the cell phone story and some of the jokes. He got the biggest laugh from the convention crowd with his “…we may have an administration that actually believes in science” line.

I enjoyed his speech – well done!

I’m sorry I missed it. I’ve been so busy I’ve only been able to see the highlights of the convention. I did catch him with Obama in Martinsville last week for a bit.

4. cook says:

Warner’s tone was different than some of the other speakers, don’t you think? I enjoyed watching his (familiar to us Virginians) comments attempting to transcend party politics at the Democratic national convention. He didn’t get as much applause on those lines.

5. Lowell says:

I noticed that as well Cook, different tone and muted applause on the bipartisanship lines, but his direction is where we need to go.
    Working together toward common goals I mean. I thought it interesting how the one commentator tried to say the only way Warner closed the budget shortfall was by convincing “liberal” Republicans to raise taxes.
    Forgot to mention the cutting of some six billion dollars in spending first… Oh well.

I think soon to be Senator Warner did a great job in setting the future direction of the party.

Did the guy really say that? Where, exactly, did anyone find a liberal Republican in Virginia? Oh, well.

Warner’s reputation for bi-partisanship far preceded his scheduling as keynote speaker. The other speakers, and much of the campaign, may deliver red meat for the partisans (and we appreciate it) but Warner was obviously chosen for something else. Perhaps his job was to tell somebody — partisans on both sides, foreign observers, average voters — that Obama realizes he’ll have to govern once he wins.

And that’s exactly what he meant when he said that his speech might not sit well with everyone at the convention but the powers at be knew this and put him up anyway (or because of this in the first place).

8. Brooke says:

I say good for him. Nothing is going to get done unless we can find a way to work together.

9. Christa says:

I watched the entire Democratic Convention last night. Warner will run for President one day. Too bad he’s not doing it right now.

Christa, the only way that our Constitution will be intact (what’s left of it) for Warner to eventually take office is by voting for Obama. Check out this link if you’d like an elaborate/very rational and non-partisan reason. http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/210488.php

11. seth says:

i wonder about that christa. i think he could have easily waxed barrack and hillary in the primaries and as far as i know he did form an exploratory committee back in the nascent stages of the dem primary. then he decided not to run (it seems like it’s kind of generally accepted that it was because he didn’t want to put that kind of pressure on his family, but then if he knew that, why would he have even formed an exploratory committee?). i believe he could have easily gotten the vp nod (they were considering kaine for christ’s sake) but he took himself out of that one too. i also think he’d be a great option. i just wonder what he’s doing and why.

12. Christa says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think future Presidents like to do the Governorship and then the Senate for a while. Warner will win the Senate in November I think. That gives him 4 years to prepare to run for the Dem nomination. Assuming Obama doesn’t win, because if he doesn’t, he won’t run again and Warner will wipe up Hillary. She looked unhappy last night. Like all the things she said about supporting Barak was BS. I could see it in her eyes….and so could Michelle Obama.

I think what you saw in her eyes was new found humility for a race in which she was the loser and had to come to terms with that. I personally don’t like losing either.

14. seth says:

i’m no history guru, but i don’t think recent years would support the prescribed path you suggest. correct me if i’m wrong, but i think that over the course of the last thirty years, we’ve had 4 president’s come directly out of governorships and one ascend from the vice presidency. as you said, the only way for warner to get a look at it in 4 years is if obama loses and i just don’t think that he’s working under that assumption. the way i look at it, he either really doesn’t want it (and again, i have to wonder why) or he’s looking at a run in the distant future (which strikes me as strange because you’d expect him to play it closer to his chest).