Obama sign defaced in county

Brent Finnegan -- September 14th, 2008

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usLate Friday night, on Route 259 in Fulks Run, a large wooden political sign for Barack Obama was defaced with spray paint by anonymous vandals. The sign, which read “Welcome to Barack-ingham County,” was defaced with a giant X and the letters “KKK.”

A nearby sign for Mark Warner was also vandalized, although notably not with “KKK.” The Obama sign has since been removed, and may will likely be repainted and reinstalled.

76 Responses to “Obama sign defaced in county”

1. Draegn88 says:

D. Troyer, …

Comment from Fierysungirl
    Time: September 15, 2008, 8:31 am

Consider the source. This type of crap usually comes from inbreds who dropped out of school when they were in 10th grade. Even the KKK would be embarressed that a bunch of rednecks would use their moniker.

Renee wrote: Unfortunately, racism does still persist in America, and those people that unanimously deface signs with racist messages are “backwards thinking” people. There are also a lot of people that are proud of the Confederate history of this area and state their pride of living in “The South” by flying Dixie flags. (Do they still want to secede from the union or something?)

——————————————–

Emmy what would you consider an appropriate punishment to be for vandalism? Be it for this sign, or a gang tag on the side of a building.

2. Draegn88 says:

For those who were so quick to blame a White person. Why did you do it?

Are you full of “White guilt”?

Are you a non-white that hates Whites?

Do you hate yourself for being White?

Fierysungirl is a brand new poster, so who knows about that one.

I agree with Renee, if you think its OK to do something like that, then you are backwards thinking. She never called anyone inbred. I’ve lived in Harrisonburg my whole life and still don’t understand why people think the time in which the Confederate flag was flown is something that the South should be proud of. I don’t see where anything Renee said is anywhere close to what you suggested that “so many people” on this thread have said.

As for punishment…I think it depends on who did it. If its a group of teenagers just out to do something stupid, then I think they should have to clean up graffiti. I would also assume that some charge would come from this as with any graffiti. Any learning experience they take from it will have to come from their parents and I hope they have to good sense to explain why this isn’t an OK thing to do period and why this particular act wasn’t cool at all. If its adults, well that’s just plain sad but whatever the typical punishment would be plus cleaning up.

Draegan88 why do you only come out on threads that may have to do with race? Perhaps you should ask yourself your own questions.

Fierysungirl: one person.

“So many”: more than one person.

At the root of the inductive theorem idea, which is at the root of mathematical processes, is the concept that one and more than one are not the same.

Punishment? Make them read HH blog posts all day.

Draegn88: I’m extremely surprised that you are asking me why I assume the people that defaced the Obama sign by writing KKK all over it are white.

I think if you polled the country, or looked at statistics from past vandalisms of this type, you’d find that 99.999% of the vandals writing KKK on a black person’s name/house/church/sign/picture are white (or at least non-black) people. (Notice I concede that it’s possible that 1 in every 100000 of these acts might be committed by a black person). If a black person did commit an act like this, I’d be equally, if not more, disgusted by it, and more confused by it.

I honestly don’t understand why you are suggesting I have “white guilt” or that I hate white people or hate myself for being white. None of the above. I’m really can’t comprehend why you’d assume that anyone that is offended by a vandalism like this would answer yes to any of those questions.

I’m confused by this sentiment, and confused that there is any “backlash” at those of us posting a negative reaction to this news story.

——————————-

About this thread of posts – I’m not sure why this turned into a “it was racist” vs. “it wasn’t racist” discussion and cultural battle between people of different beliefs and geographic backgrounds instead of everyone being honestly disgusted and generally agreeing that even if the sign-defacers meant it in a “funny” way and not a “hateful” way, regardless of who did it, it is an offensive act of vandalism that should be looked down upon.

Interesting that the heated debate was started by a divisive statement that ‘it’s not surprising something like this would happen in the valley’. It’s evidenced by the array of comments here that race is still a heated topic of conversation among people in this area, and that there are plenty of people on all sides of the “debate”, though I’m still not sure exactly what it is we’re debating!

In summary, I’ll reiterate a statement Emmy made above:

“Just a reminder of how far we still have to go.”

8. Draegn88 says:

Renee, Emmy, many others and I are sick of the implications that are implied by The Slate. I am tired of the following situations

Guy handing out Obama stickers “Would you like an Obama sticker to show your support of him:

Draegn “No thank you.”

Guy “What are you? A racist?”

The guy should say nothing more than “Thank you, have a nice day.” Anything more is an attempt at getting attention and creating a scene. I should not have to be subjected to it. But hey, this is Amerikwa.

And my little example does happen here in Harrisonburg, mainly by those who are in the JMU age bracket. (Not saying they’re JMU students, just in that age bracket)

Why did Jacob Weisberg, editor-in-chief of The Slate, write what he did? What is he trying to promote?

Whoah, what does that example have to do with this situation?

In your example, the person was not right to call someone a racist because they didn’t want an Obama sticker. I agree that’s not a good thing. Just like people suggesting that those who don’t like Sarah Palin are sexist. Both of these are unjustified charges.

However, in this news post, someone wrote the initials of the Ku Klux Klan on a black man’s campaign sign. That’s what I’m saying is racist. There’s a big difference.

Sorry, but I’m not going to continue this conversation any more.

10. Brian M says:

Hey, Draegn88. I’ve been following your posts closely over the past few days and some of the phrases you’ve used sparked something in the depths of my memories.

I’ve researched, in depth, the White Supremacy movement and the obsession with the superiority of the white race for many years. The things you were saying matched up with what I remembered reading and hearing. So I thought, hmmm… I wonder where else Draegn88 is a member. So I GOOGLEd…

I found someone with the same unique name on the Vanguard News Network. A site dedicated to the advancement and superiority of the white race. I was not surprised to find a logo depicting Obama with a bullet hole in his head that said “Get It Over with Already”. I also read a fascinating thread entitled “Jews: The White Family’s Worst Enemy”.

So I’m curious. Is this you? And who is the hater now?

p.s. Do you even live in my community?

The “88” stands for “HH,” “H” being the 8th letter of the alphabet. “HH” as in “Heil, Hitler.”

Although this person has in the past claimed the 88 is his favorite Oldsmobile or some such.

12. Del says:

Brian M– Yes, Draegn88 is the same person who posts on Vnnforum.com. He has advocated violent terrorism against the citizens and government of the United States and the killing or deporting of U.S. citiizens based on their race or religion. He participated in a thread on Vnnforum.com last year dedicated to the intimidation of the Little Grill because of an Anarchist fundraiser.

He refers to whites who do not share this philosphy as “lemmings” who are to be dealt with deceptively which is why he does not express his complete political beliefs on this site.

13. Christa says:

Joe, Del, you are joking, right? Heil Hitler??

I wish we were as well. But HH is no joke. Seriously.

15. Bubby says:

David: I was, in fact joking. Haters don’t do humor.

Barkley: The sooner the Mountain Valley Republicans sober up and realize that their Party has been hijacked by dangerous absolutists, one-issue voters, and dimwitted crooks, the sooner we can all put an end to the malignancy. The fundies don’t like MVRs, the neocons don’t like MVRs, the Dems think they’re loopy romantics. Wake up MVRs – choose wisely. Act like America matters more than your nostalgic lore. You belong in the modern Democratic Party. Times a changing.

16. Draegn88 says:

Brian, everyone has something, someone, some group or whatever that they hate. That is life. I am no different, I choose to hate those who hate me. I never claimed not to hate. If you like, put up an email and I’ll give you a synopsis of my world view.

Del, thanks for posting the ADL hate site.

And Joe, this one’s for you

[Call it the origins or oldest record of the meaning of 88, that I could find (though it’s not my definition.)] I’ll give you a hint, before you were married you did something. If “disease” ended that process before it’s culmination…..88 for me marks that year.

Note: The Hamburger Echo which is listed in the exerpt is a left wing paper that was in part founded by a communist, so take the urban myth with a grain of salt.

“Brian, everyone has something, someone, some group or whatever that they hate. ”

There are people that I dislike…a lot. But there is no one in my life that I can say I hate. I hate child molesters. But I don’t think that’s the type of group or person that you are talking about. So, you’re making a pretty broad judgment there by saying that everyone has someone they hate.

Have I ever looked at a person who is different than me and considered a stereotype? Sure. But then do I stop and realize how ignorant that is? You bet I do.

A woman who is raped by a man may always carry some deep seated fear of men. A person who is beat up by a group of people of another race, may always carry some level of fear toward members of that race. Hate is based in fear. So if you’ve had something bad happen to you at the hands of someone different than you, and you look at a group of similar people and feel fear, then you are normal. If you choose to hate all people of that group, commit violent acts against them, or in anyway try to persecute and entire group based on the actions of a few then you have a problem. Fear is normal. But its our job to work through it.

If you have no reason to dislike a group of people and just randomly decide to, then you have a problem. That problem is probably somewhat based in fear as well, but its far less understandable.

18. JohnLL says:

Do the New York Yankees count? ‘Cause I don’t like them very much.

19. Draegn88 says:

Emmy,

In any group of people, there are those who agree with me, those who have no opinion and those who disagree. Those I hate/dislike (whatever word you think appropriate) tend to fall within that latter. As each person is a unique individual, the level of hate I may have for each of them is different. The punks that keep bashing the mailbox are one thing, the asshole that tried to murder me is another.

Nothing I do is random. Everything is for a reason. I give to people as they give to me and I extend this unto my friends. I feel that if someone where attacking you, that you would try to defend yourself and likewise if someone were attacking one of your friends that you would rush to their aid.

Dislike and hate are two very different things in my book. Would I hate someone who harmed someone I love. Probably. But would I let that consume me to the point of hating all people that look like that person. I sure hope not. I would defend those I love from attack and I would defend myself. I do not feel that any group of people has set out to harm my family. So I have no need to hate a group of people just for what they are. You apparently feel otherwise. My father apparently felt otherwise. The only person that was hurting him was himself and yet he chose to blame everyone who doesn’t look like him. Its all about choices.

Hate doesn’t have to be a part of life. Hate is a choice.

21. Yoda says:

Comment from JGFitzgerald
    Time: September 15, 2008, 3:35 am

“Its not very tolerant of you folks to challenge me just because I speak the truth, just because you don’t want to hear it.”

Actually I don’t mind seeing facts in print, but you’re right that I don’t want to hear it. It’s because of the whiny-voiced, nasal, self-important, smug way you people talk up there. I’ve never been clear if it was swallowing black flies, longer winters, or just habit that makes you people talk that way. Regardless, you should know that your generalizations will be difficult to take seriously when we’re hearing them in that annoying whine you people use when you try to speak.
    —————————————————-
    please update me, when was the last time you heard me speak? Whine? Please forgive me for not talking with a redneck drawl or using the word “ain’t,” or saying “I seen him yesterday….,” or “I throwd him the ball…”, or “I done did it..,” or “I’m going to bed because I’m tarred, or something like gat.” And please, please, forgive me for knowing that it is pronouned once, twice…. not onest, twicest…I’ll take nasal any day bubba. And BTW, If I ignore the screen name then you “sound” much like Briggman and Hard Right who are better at yelling and name calling than rational thought. You’re above that, aren’t you?
    —————————————————-
    Comment from republitarian
    Time: September 15, 2008, 1:09 pm

Yeah, I agree with Brian. This site has become invested with hatefulness.

I’d like to see the administrators clean it up.
    ————————————————-
    Thank God that this administrator is not a self-righteous prude like some other administrators…..
    ——————————–
    Barkley.

EXCELLENT post. Thank you for your time and effort. I’m not being sarcastic, I mean it, that kind of info is exactly the kind of info that I need to hear and chew over. Again, Thanks.

22. zen says:

I keep reading a common theme in Draegn88’s comments that comes across as some twisted version of the Golden Rule. The idea isn’t to “give to people as they give to me.” Rather, it’s about a exhibiting a mutual respect and treating others as one expects to be treated.

I agree with Emmy that there’s a big difference between dislike and hate, and that hate is a choice. Hate can consume you.

I think the Bible says it best:

“Whoever loves his brother lives in the light, and there is nothing in him to make him stumble. But whoever hates his brother is in the darkness and walks around in the darkness; he does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded him.” 1 John 2:11

And JohnLL, your comment made me laugh. Way to lighten the mood! :)