Obama in Harrisonburg – Updated

Emmy -- October 25th, 2008

This has probably shown up on some other blogs already, so I apologize for the delay. Jeremy mentioned the rumor in another post, but Obama will in fact be in Harrisonburg on Tuesday the 28th. I spoke with some non-local campaign workers this afternoon and I’m expecting a call once everything is finalized. It appears that the event will probably be at the Convocation Center but the time was still up in the air. I will update as soon as I have more information.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Oct. 25, 2008

Barack Obama to Hold Change We Need Rally in Harrisonburg Tuesday

RICHMOND, Va. – U.S. Sen. Barack Obama will hold a Change We Need rally Tuesday at James Madison University. It will be Obama’s ninth trip to the commonwealth since the end of the primary campaign.

In Harrisonburg, he will lay out his plans to jump start the economy, provide affordable health care to Virginians and make college more affordable and contrast his vision for America with John McCain’s plans for four more years of the same failed policies of the last eight.

This event is free and open to the public. Tickets are not required, though, an RSVP is strongly encouraged.  To RSVP, please visit www.VA.barackobama.com.

Details of the event below:

TUES, OCT. 28, 2008

Harrisonburg, VA

CHANGE WE NEED RALLY WITH BARACK OBAMA

James Madison University

Convocation Center

Harrisonburg, VA 22807

Media Pre-set: 12:00 to 12:30PM (Equipment must be dropped at the site by 12:30PM; media will not have access to their equipment from 12:30 to 3:15PM)

Media Access: 3:15PM

Doors Open: 3:15 PM

Program Begins: 5:15 PM

Throw: 50ft

Cable Run: 500ft

Live truck parking: Lot B (Directed on site)

Media Parking: Lot B

Press Entrance: Gate A

Internet will not be available on site.

Workspace will be available on site.

The event is free and open to the public. Tickets are not required but an RSVP is strongly encouraged. To RSVP please visit www.VA.barackobama.com. Seating is limited, first come, first served.

Media Coverage: The event is open to the press. For credentials, please visit www.barackobama.com/mediarsvp.

For logistical and planning purposes only, please contact Nicole Lynch at 917-673-0652 or nlynch@obamaforamerica.com.

***For security reasons do not bring bags or umbrellas and please limit personal items.  No signs or banners allowed.***

Additional Update from JMU

TRAFFIC AND PARKING LOGISTICS FOR OBAMA EVENT

HARRISONBURG, VA – Due to the increased volume of traffic expected in conjunction with Sen. Barack Obama’s campaign event at James Madison University on Oct. 28, motorists are advised to plan ahead and allow extra time during their afternoon and evening commutes.  Individuals are strongly encouraged to use public transportation throughout the day.

Traffic is expected to be particularly heavy along the Port Republic Road, Reservoir Street and University Boulevard corridors all day.  Additionally, motorists traveling on Interstate 81 near exits 245 and 247 should prepare for delays.  Harrisonburg City Transit buses will operate on a regular schedule.

For those planning on attending the Obama event at JMU, a limited number of parking spaces near the Convocation Center will be available on a first come, first served basis beginning at 1:00 p.m.  Once the Convocation Center lots are full, University Boulevard will be closed to thru traffic between Carrier Drive and Oak Hill Drive.  (Forest Hills residents should display their FHR permits for access to the neighborhood.)

Sections of Bluestone Drive on the main campus may be subject to periodic closures or limited directions of travel.  South Main Street and Cantrell Avenue and other surrounding thoroughfares will experience high volumes of traffic.

Normal parking regulations will be enforced on the JMU campus, with the exception of the Convocation Center lots, throughout the day.

Overflow parking is available at Regal Cinemas and K-Mart, both off of University Boulevard towards East Market Street.  Public transportation to the Convocation Center from these satellite lots will begin at 1:30 p.m.

For those unable to access the Convocation Center, alternate viewing locations of Sen. Obama’s visit are available in the Godwin Gym and the Ballroom at the Festival Conference and Student Center.  An additional alternate location will be outside the Convocation Center on the University Recreation Center (UREC) soccer fields.

No backpacks or umbrellas will be allowed into the Convocation Center.  Concessions will be available once inside the event.

112 Responses to “Obama in Harrisonburg – Updated”

1. Draegn88 says:

Comment from Deona Landes Houff
    Time: October 27, 2008, 3:52 pm

The DNR is reporting that the rally will NOT move to Bridgeforth; Obama will take a car from Shenandoah Valley Regional Airport to JMU; and I-81 will NOT be blocked off.

********** FALSE FLAG *********************

I assume by that you mean that this is what they are telling us, but that isn’t what they are going to do? I kind of thought that might be the case, but wasn’t going to speculate.

3. Draegn88 says:

Yes Emmy. I cannot accept that the Secret Service would give the DNR the intinerary and travel route. So let us hope that others realize this as well.

I thought the same thing. It seemed a little odd to tell us almost exactly where he’d be traveling.

Yeah, and the “motorcade” would attract a lot of attention on 81 – my bet is they’re going the “back way” or taking a helicopter. I wonder if the press traveling with him gets any protection or if they just get a rental car at the gate? It will be interesting to see the different press reports on this Harrisonburg event. We’ll have to collect the YouTube/News Channels video links and post them here.

6. Christa says:

Helicopter from SVRA to Bridgeport Stadium. I’d put money on it.

7. Dave Briggman says:

I think they’ll remove the roof of the Convocation Center so the Messiah may come down directly from heaven and you will all be witness to His Second Coming.

Dave, I’m sure the Messiah could go right through the solid roof, without a problem.

Barack on the other hand, will probably need a door like the rest of us

9. Lowell says:

Thanks Renee, I somehow believe you’re right…
    But dang! Won’t that be cool too!
    Democrat candidates cares about the Valley!
    Again! After several times of showing us again and again!
    The only time Republicans do is at the very last moment when they think they’re in trouble.
    Will the McCain Palin team visit at all?..

I have people trying to antagonize me already this morning. I understand that there are people who don’t like Obama and that is their right, but to act like his visit is of no significance is really just sad. No matter who wins this election, if Virginia goes for Obama then the Republican’s are going to have to wake up and take notice. I’m going to enjoy whatever I get today, pray for his safe travel, and ignore everyone else.

11. “will probably need a door “, Renee, REALLY, really…my GOD woman.

Emmy, enjoy your day, you have done much for the Democrats and you should enjoy today to its fullest.

Lowell, I didn’t get the call but it’s ok, have to take Ally to PA this evening anyway, last minute changes…

Frank, I hope you realize Renee was just trying to make a joke of Dave’s attempts to rile us up.

I haven’t done near as much for the Democrats as I wish I had or could have, but I am going to enjoy this day. No one can deny the hard work by the local Democrats.