How many locals will be “sick” Tues?

Brent Finnegan -- October 26th, 2008

A reader wondered how many people will be “sick” this Tuesday, or take a personal day or simply knock off work early in order to make it to the Obama Rally in the Valley. I don’t know. Let’s do a poll:

Will you be taking off work to attend Tuesday’s Rally?
Yes, I’m calling in sick.
Yes, I’m taking a personal day.
Yes, I’m knocking off early.
I’m retired/unemployed/self-employed, so I don’t have to.
No. I wish I could make it, but I can’t take the time off work.
No. I’m not an Obama supporter, and I don’t care about the rally.

Free polls from Pollhost.com

23 Responses to “How many locals will be “sick” Tues?”

I’m worried I’m not going to get in, but I’m going to take off early and see what the line is like when I get there.

2. Jeremy Aldrich says:

For an event of this type, at a venue that will certainly be too small for the number of people who will try to attend, being there even one or two hours before the doors open won’t cut it. As my wife said, “Think early morning sales on Black Friday.”
    The local Obama office is saying they will guarantee seats for people who want to volunteer at the event, but you have to attend a meeting Monday night and be at the event “no later than 1:30”.
    If I am successfully able to take a personal day, we plan to be there as early as we can on Tuesday.

So I guess getting in line around 1:00 probably isn’t going to cut it.

4. MAW says:

Where would one park to attend such an event?

“Where would one park to attend such an event?”

Broadway.

6. Jeremy, please don’t miss any days of work…I need the money.

7. Lowell says:

I’ll give you a call later today Frank.

8. Allen says:

It’s so discouraging to think one has to wait for 4 or 5 hours to maybe get in. I had hoped he’d make it to the Valley (kind of sticking a sharp stick in the Republicans eye), but I’m just not sure it’s worth it. Oh well….. such is life.

If they do keep it in the Convo and there’s a gigantic crowd, they should set up a “viewing screen” outside and have people stay in the parking lot to watch, then have Obama come by and shake some of their hands so they’re not totally left out. Then he could also see how many people in this area are supporting him.

Emmy, I made t-shirts for my business partners and myself. One says “Harrisonburg Small Business for Obama”, but mine and the third one are too small, so they just say “Harrisonburg for Obama”. They’re dark blue with white and red stencil letters. Hope to see you there!

Since I’m not going to hear anything ahead of time about the press pass, I may do the volunteering if I can get there on Mon night.

Renee

I love the idea. I co-own two small small businesses here too, can I buy a xl and a l off of you?

I’ll look for you Renee! From what I hear, he usually does come through the crowd outside to greet those who don’t get in. I’d love to do the volunteering but I can’t make it to the training so I’ll just try my luck with getting in.

Emmy, I’m sorry to hear you can’t make the 7pm meeting. I really hope you get in, I am so excited.

David, I’d love to make more shirts, but I used up a few hours making ours and I really don’t have more time between now and the event to make more (since the rally is going to take up half a work day as it is).

I’m not an artist in any sense of the word, but it wasn’t too hard to do. If anyone else wants to take a stab at it themselves, I think it ended up costing about $6 a shirt. I got cheap dark blue t-shirts, small cardboard stencil letters, and red & white Tulip brand fabric paint at Wal-Mart, and I used a roll of masking tape to outline the “O” symbol.

If we knew about the event further in advance, I’d definitely offer to make more or get some printed up, but just too short notice for me…. sorry!

Don’t be sorry, thanks for the recipe though.

15. Another neat thing you can do purchase “shirt transfer” paper at Staples or Office depot for a few dollars. Upload one of Obama’s logos (there are plenty of good ones on his site) to your computer, add your own personlization and print it out on your computer. All you have to do next is iron the transfer onto your t-shirt and in minutes you have a unique t-shirt that will rival any commercially made product!

16. Another name for the transfer paper is “iron on” paper or “iron on transfer” paper. Make your shirt unique enough and maybe you’ll get on CNN!

17. Frank J Witt says:

HEY VP, maybe before you go kiss the Mess I uuuuhhhhh, spend some time cleaning up the MESS you guys made on our house…the police had already been here and if you could just talk to Officer Hermes, he would appreciate it.

Yep, I definitely considered the iron-on transfer, but I wanted the design to cover the whole width of the one 2XL shirt, so that would’ve taken several printings and proper aligninment to pull it off. My color printer is a little psycho lately, too. Also, I wasn’t going for the “pretty graphics” look but for a bold sign-like look since I can’t bring a big poster :)

Good suggestion, though! It is a quicker & easier alternative to painting! I think they also have a kind that can transfer light colors onto a dark shirt now, too.

That would be cool to get on CNN! Though I’m a little afraid of being interviewed since I’m not always very eloquent when put on the spot.

19. Frank,
    I have no idea what your talking about……..

Renee,
    Good point, I use the transfer method because I’m just too lazy.:-)

20. Suzie says:

Obama is going to be in Norfolk at 9:15 on Tuesday night so I coubt he will be able to shake hands with too many ppl since he will be on a tight schedule

21. Maybe one should just happen to be in the General Aviation terminal in Weyer’s Cave. Say, around 6:30-7:00pm?

Obama drew a crowd of 100,000-150,000 in Denver today:

I was just thinking…. aren’t there press people that travel with Obama? It would be cool to meet Cindy Crowley or someone from CNN, which I watch all the time :)