Luigi’s shutting down

Brent Finnegan -- October 30th, 2008

A year ago, the original Luigi’s Pizza on South High Street closed. Now Luigi’s downtown is closing its doors.

A reader informed us that they wouldn’t be open much longer. A call to the restaurant confirmed the rumor. This Sunday will be the last day Luigi’s will be open for business.

20 Responses to “Luigi’s shutting down”

I can’t say I’m at all shocked by this.

I really liked their food and went there a couple times, but I couldn’t go often since it was a little pricey for a pizza slice & salad for workday lunch. Seems like this economy is tough on our downtown restaurants.

3. Tina says:

I was so excited when I found out there’d be a Luigi’s downtown, but I went in several times for the lunch buffet and was less than impressed. Carry-out was always good, though.

I miss the old Luigi’s.

4. after my first visit to luigi’s upon returning to the area after five years, i was forced to assume that the former workers took the good food with them when they ransacked the old luigis. that said, it’s terribly sad to see a h’burg pillar of local food shut it’s doors. that building has bad juju.

5. Carl S. says:

Nooooooooooooo!

6. Frank J Witt says:

Jh, did you not get good food from Napoli? That’s a shame, we have not had anything but wonderful food from them since they opened. As for Luigi’s downtown…Sorry to hear this Mark. Move up, not on. Good Luck my friend.

Jill didn’t say anything about Napoli. She’s referring to Luigi’s 1 and Luigi’s 2.

8. i need to try this napoli, eh?

9. Annie Hololob says:

I have a lot of Ranch Dressing to eat between now and Sunday.

I couldn’t abide the smoky atmosphere at night, but one thing I’ve always appreciated about Luigi’s was that they seemed stuck in the 90s the same way Pizza Hut is stuck in the 80s. It definitely has (or had) a consistent retro feel to it.

11. Breslau says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

God. Oh, God. The old one was far superior to the new(er) one, but a crappy Luigi’s is way better than none at all.

I feel like my world has fallen apart for the second time.

I don’t want to be really rude here, but I don’t think a poor economy is the only reason this place has gone under. I was thrilled that a Luigi’s opened downtown so I could enjoy the food I loved so much at lunchtime. I gave this place more chances than I should have and I’ll leave it at that.

13. Del says:

By the way, weren’t the two Luigi’s under completely different management and ownership for long while?

Del if I’m not mistaken they were owned and managed by different people from the start.

15. first the l&s a couple of weeks ago, and now another, sudden, long-time restaurant shut-down.
    makes me hope that the newbies, like blue nile and clementine are holding steady and makes me very worried about long-time favorites such as indian american.

i’m off to order some ponir saag….

support our local restaurants!

16. Josh says:

Some positive news for a depressing thread… there are plans for 5 new restaurants downtown!

Franklin’s – pizza and wine bar
    Union Station Restaurant – historical era/theme
    Pennybackers – soup and salad
    yet-to-be-named – asian fusion (old Spanky’s)
    Jack Brown’s Beer and Burger Joint – um, burgers? :)

See http://www.whsv.com/home/headlines/33425954.html

17. Craig says:

Original Luigis…AWESOME. Downtown Luigis, I did not like.