double votes?

Brent Finnegan -- October 31st, 2008

Lately I’ve been writing about disenfranchised voters in Harrisonburg, but a reader just drew my attention to a story in the Northern Virginia Daily about a very different sort of registration problem: people that could potentially vote twice on election day.

More than 5,200 Virginia voters are also registered in other states, and of those 120 have requested absentee ballots in their home states […] Wade’s data included no fewer than five people who listed Harrisonburg addresses in both the Pennsylvania and Virginia voter lists.

6 Responses to “double votes?”

1. Jeremy Aldrich says:

Makes me wonder why responsibility for federal election registration is still in state hands. Maybe the feds should take responsibility for federal elections, including registering people in a national system and creating some continuity for what types of voting machines are used and when and where people can vote in federal elections.

That seems perfectly reasonable to me. Regardless of the outcome, it’s clear to me that we need registration reform.

3. Bubby says:

::Yawn::
    So ol’ Mike Wade, Republican Tin Foil Hat-Maker has found 120 people that have registered in Virginia and requested absentee ballots up in Pennsylvania? Call me when they vote twice.

On the other hand, If Camron Gorguinpour had requested a California absentee ballot he would be voting on Tuesday. Guess he didn’t know that the Republican Party owns the local Judges.

I still think this is wrong, and shouldn’t have happened. Reform is needed to ensure that every eligible person gets one vote. No more, no less. I don’t like the idea of people being registered in two locations any more than the idea of partisan registrars and judges disenfranchising voters for bogus reasons.

The U.S. has become a very transient nation. The registration/voting process should adapt to that reality.

5. Bubby says:

What makes you think someone is registered in two places? If Judge Jimbo can deny a man the right to vote in Virginia because hissoner determines that he’s not registered here, well then he’s registered there, or he’s disenfranchised. Now THAT is wrong.

I totally agree with Jeremy. My friend and I were talking the other day about some reliable high-tech solutions that are more secure than the current system, and would totally speed up the lines, too.