City Ballot

Brent Finnegan -- November 3rd, 2008

A reader requested that we post a sample ballot for the city. Here it is, front and back.

As you can see, there are no party identifiers beside city candidates’ names. The only oddity I noticed is that the Constitution Party is listed as the Independent Green Party.

19 Responses to “City Ballot”

Great, thanks.

2. Brooke says:

Thanks, Aaron!

3. TM says:

I found the lack of party ID very odd considering how important it seems to be around here.
    Anyone know why they are left off?
    I can’t remember, are they always left off?

I don’t think local candidates’ affiliation is ever listed. As I recall, Chaz Evans-Haywood and Dianne Fulk didn’t have an R or a D next to their names on last year’s ballot.

Frankly, I like it that way. I sort of wish there were no party indicators on the ballot for any of the offices, including U.S. President.

5. Jason Garber says:

Thanks for posting this! Very helpful.

6. Del says:

Apparently there is a Virginia “Independent Green Party” distinct from the “Green Party” that nominated the Constitution Party candidates.

Thanks for clearing that up, Del. I assumed that was an error, but it turns out it’s just really confusing.

McKinney and Baldwin have very little in common.

8. David Troyer says:

Can anyone speak to the busiest times at polling stations in the city? I should have plenty of time tomorrow, but I’d like to avoid the heaviest lines if possible.

In my experience, there’s generally a morning and evening rush. Before 9am, and after 5pm.

10. Del says:

Yes, very confusing. I’d be curious how many votes the “Independent Green Party” gets from people who actually know who they’re voting for. According to the Constitution Party platform:

“We also call for repeal of federal wetlands legislation and the federal Endangered Species Act. Moreover, we oppose any attempt to designate private or public property as United Nations World Heritage sites or Biosphere reserves. We call for an end to this United States participation in UN programs such as UNESCO, Man and the Biosphere, and the UN Council on Sustainable Development. We oppose environmental treaties and conventions such as the Biodiversity Treaty, the Convention on Climate Control, and Agenda 21, which destroy our sovereignty and right to private property.”

11. Deb SF says:

finnegan, 3:40 PM “I think the biggest exception will be Stone Spring. It’s hard to tell when the longest lines will be there.”

Heh. If the students really do come out this time around, then the longest lines will be when their day begins… early afternoon. I’m anticipating long, long lines at the end of the day (I don’t know whether I hope I’m wrong or not) so that we could have voting still going on well after the polls close.

12. Josh says:

Is there a lunchtime rush as well? If I didn’t have to go to work I’d go at 10am or 2-3pm.

The volunteer that came to my door yesterday recommended going around 10am or mid-afternoon. Like finnegan said, a lot of people try to line up first thing in the morning, and also a lot of people vote after they get out of work in the evening. There might also be a lunch-hour rush.

I plan to go mid-day and I’m thinking I’ll be waiting about 2 hours, so we’ll see what happens. I’ll send a #hburgnews twitter message when I get to Keister to report how it looks.

I’m planning to print out a call list from BarackObama.com and do my volunteering while waiting in line. Or, if they don’t allow that, hopefully my friend can hold my place in line and I’ll make calls from my car.

Remember that if you get in line by 7pm, you can vote! When they say the polls close, they just mean no one else can get in line after that time, but everyone in line by then will get a chance to cast their ballot.

14. Laura says:

Is it just me, or are the links to the city ballot (front and back) not working?

Laura, this appears to be another stupid IE problem. Works fine for me on FF and Safari. I’ll try to upload PDFs later.

Did I mention that I HATE IE? With a burning passion.

I hate IE too. I have no use for it.

I vote at Waterman and I have always gone around 7:30-8:00 and have never had to wait in line. I hope I have a wait tomorrow (although not too long as I bring my kids) because that means people are out there voting!

I changed the jpgs to pdfs. Hope everyone is able to view the ballots now.

18. kai says:

I just wanted to say a quick thanks to everyone out there who’s been supportive of my campaign for city council. I think we’re in a great spot going in to Election Day because of the hundreds of people who’ve contributed time, money, and energy over the last five months. Time to vote!