Live Video Updates

Brent Finnegan -- November 4th, 2008

I’ll be webcasting live video updates throughout the day from a cell phone via Qik (EVDO). It’s a little buggy — it processes the video as it’s recording, sometimes it cuts off prematurely, or doesn’t stop recording when it’s supposed to — but it’s a hell of a lot faster than YouTube. Keep checking this post for brief interviews with local voters, volunteers and candidates.

Video removed to prevent auto-load. Archive here.

14 Responses to “Live Video Updates”

1. Karl says:

This is great stuff Brent. It’s a shame qik stutters so much. Really thought Carolyn’s comments about party affiliation were insightful.

I agree, Karl. Qik leaves a lot to be desired — I shot an interview with JM Snell that apparently never made it online.

Also, several of these interviews cut off before the interview is done. That’s frustrating. But I’m going to continue recording these throughout the day and hope most of them do what they’re supposed to do.

Those of you with my cell number watching this — feel free to text me and let me know if these interviews are getting cut off. I have no other way of knowing.

3. Flanna says:

It’s really cool you’re putting this online, Brent!
    We’re watching it here in Prague!

4. Justin C says:

Brent,
    Thanks for the leg work in getting the interviews, always appreciated for those of us trapped in our offices.

Also I love the idea of the software. Definitely are some bugs. I’m going to report a few of them and see how they respond.

Anything that speeds up the process of getting media to the people is a great step.

5. Paul says:

11am: 5 minute wait at the Simms building

6. republitarian says:

These long lines may deter some people nationally.

Brent you are doing an awesome job with this!

Thanks.

Some of the stuff that’s showing up as “live” is actually more than 30 minutes old.

I don’t know what’s up with that. Qik obviously has some bugs.

9. Lowell says:

Oh thank goodness! I was beginning to think all those JMU Students were starting to all look alike. ;o)

10. still don;t like handing out the filled in demo ballets near the polling place…either way, I’m glad it’s over soon. This stuff is taking up too much of my life.

Finn~ Good Job and thank you for all you have done…

Thanks for doing this, Brent! Very cool addition to the blog, despite the glitches :)

12. The Common Man says:

Those demo ballots are stupid. If you’re not smart enough to figure out a simple ballot on your own, then you shouldn’t be voting. Was this done only by the GOP to target their base? You know, the dumb and illiterate?

What a night for Qik to crash! If you’re not seeing the video, don’t worry. I’m not either. qik.com is down.