“Rock Against Racism”

Emmy -- November 13th, 2008

Sincere Citizens Against Racism will be hosting “Rock Against Racism” at Court Square Theater on December 6th.

SCAR is a group of concerned community-based individuals who want to have a positive influence and impact on citizens of the local area. Doug Mason, and African-American who both works and lives in Massanutten, spearheaded the idea after struggling one-and-a-half years with racially threatening actions at his workplace in 2007.

The “Rock Against Racism” concert featuring local musicians in various genres from Blues to Hip Hop to Gospel to Reggae on December 6th, 2008, is an example showing the community cares. Brief remarks by guest speakers will include Marsha Garst, Al Jenkins, Elaine Blakey, and Nancy Bondurant Jones. We encourage any and everyone to be active in this undertaking.

Update: The event will be held from noon until. The cost is $15 for 12 bands including Greg Ward Project, Ever-G, The Brooms, The Bourbon Specials, Stable Roots, Shayar, Imani, and First Baptist Church Men’s Choir. There will also be an after party at Bourbon Street Cafe where ticket holders will get in for half price.

8 Responses to ““Rock Against Racism””

1. Breslau says:

I might go for some blues and reggae.

Wow, what a neat event!

3. Mike says:

Sounds like a wonderful event. Is it free?

4. Watchman says:

Didn’t see any rap music listed. Sure hope there will be some rappers there!

I’m not sure Mike. Christa gave me the information and I didn’t think to ask. I’ll ask her today.

6. Tina says:

Saturday, December 6 12pm-? at Court Square Theater.

Music by the Greg Ward Project, Ever-G, the Brooms, the Bourbon Specials, Stable Roots, Shayar Imani First Baptist Church Men’s Choir, and more. Speakers include Marsha Garst and others.

I believe tickets will be $15.

Update added!

8. Craig says:

Doug Mason, I wish I would have known about this event!!! I just saw it in the paper. I wish it would have went better, financially. Sorry to hear of your run in with racial idiots. Love ya Ziggy, take care.