No room at the inn?

Jeremy Aldrich -- November 18th, 2008

As the excitement mounts over Barack Obama’s inauguration on January 20, local hotels are finding that their rooms are being reserved unusually early.  Only 2 hours from DC, Harrisonburg may look like an attractive option to some of the expected crowd of one million plus planning to attend.  Our local Courtyard and Hampton Inn, among others, are already fully booked for Monday, January 19…will local restaurants get smart and offer very-early-morning breakfast specials to the people passing through?

9 Responses to “No room at the inn?”

1. John Marr says:

I don’t know about the restaurants, but there is at least one local business that is trying something new on inauguration day. Massanutten Adventures is taking a coach bus to DC for the day. If anyone is interested in getting to the inauguration without having to worry about driving or finding a hotel this may be an option. Their site is: http://www.canoe4u.com/ . The ride costs $99 per person.

2. Sarah says:

Wow, I can’t believe people are willing to stay this far out, although it makes sense. Should be an interesting day.

3. Mike says:

Unfortunately for them, Harrisonburg will also feature the closest parking spots to the event.

4. This is crazy. I got on the lists for tickets months ago, but my chances look about as good as hitting the Pick 4 jackpot.

Tickets would have been nice, but I’ve maintained since the beginning that if he won, I was going just to be near where it was happening. I went to Clinton’s first and while we didn’t see much, it was a really neat time to be in DC.

6. The Valley Progressive says:

1 million people? I hear that DC police are expecting as many as 4 million!! I have been promised a reserved ticket, whatever that means. I suspect that I’ll still be fighting with the masses. I must admit, that I’m not complaining. America needs this more than anything after the Bush Regime, and I will happily share my spot with people of hope!

7. The Valley Progressive says:

I think that H-Burg needs to capitalize on the event and have an inuaguration party! It will be great for all of R-Ham County and maybe put us on the progressive map for current/future politicians! This is historic, let’s celebrate!!!

I wrote in for tickets the day after election day, but I’m not expecting to get any. I’m still heading up there anyway like Emmy! I’m just excited to be a part of the historic day – and very happy that it is on my birthday, too :) I just hope that it’s not so crowded that I can’t even get into DC – I don’t want to be stuck at a metro station or in traffic when the swearing-in ceremony occurs. I’ve been there for the 4th of July, and it sounds like a lot more people are planning to attend the inauguration than the fireworks!

And it’s cool that the hotels are booked this far out. I’m assuming that’s because of people that are driving up the night before and driving the last 2 hrs that morning. This is when an 81-66 train would come in handy! :)