Question of the week: best holiday activities in Harrisonburg

Jeremy Aldrich -- December 15th, 2008

This is the first in what I hope will be a weekly feature of hburgnews, to do a little crowdsourcing and find out from commenters things we might not have known about our community.  The question this week has to do with the holidays.  Where are the most interesting light displays in the area?  Which churches or other groups have really awesome public performances or gatherings?  Are there any businesses which are so amazingly decorated that they simply MUST become a destination for gawkers?  And where are the best places to get holiday treats?

8 Responses to “Question of the week: best holiday activities in Harrisonburg”

1. Laura says:

OK, I may be a little biased because I am their webmaster, but I think that First Night Harrisonburg’s New Years Eve celebration is one of the best things going in the ‘Burg. Where else can you get over 6 hours of quality entertainment for all ages for a mere $10? Add in that it happens in our beautiful downtown, that the restaurants all stay open late and have specials, that the fireworks are a great way to ring in a new year, and that you will likely see many of your friends and neighbors, and you can’t go wrong.

Check out the activities and entertainment schedule on the website and join us! You can even buy discounted tickets online this year.

2. Lisa says:

I also admit to a bias, but re: amazingly decorated windows, as reported in the Ask Eddie blog, the best windows in town are the winners of the downtown decorating contest:

1st place: Blue Ridge Florist
    2nd place: Laughing Dog Productions
    3rd place: James McHone Jewelry
    Most Creative: Salon 11
    Most Festive: Granny LongLegs
    Best Use of Merchandise: Glen’s Fair Price Store

IMO, the best places to get holiday treats are also downtown: Shank’s Bakery and Joshua Wilton House, which is doing a Back Door Bakery holiday service this year.

I’ll admit my bias too. I think Christa’s window had the best use of merchandise.

I hear that Weaver’s Mennonite Church is doing a live nativity, but I don’t know the date or time. I think it is on their sign.

4. Nancy says:

Checked Weaver’s website and they are having a live Nativity. Wish I was going to be here this weekend!

From the site, http://www.weaversmc.org:

Bring your family and friends to visit Bethlehem the night Christ was born in an Outdoor Walk-Thru Live Nativity on Saturday, December 20, and Sunday, December 21; 6:00-7:30 p.m. Come stroll through the streets of Bethlehem the day Jesus was born: meet the wisemen, shepherds, animals, townspeople, craftsmen, Mary and Joseph, and live Baby Jesus in the manger! Finish up with cookies and a cup of hot chocolate or coffee.

2501 Rawley Pike
    Harrisonburg, VA 22801

The Church is located on the south side of Rawley Pike
    (U.S. Route 33 West), one-half mile from the Harrisonburg city limits.

5. Sarah says:

There’s always an amazing light display on Long’s Pump Road (between Krazter Road and Rt. 11). It’s several houses on both sides of the road, nearer the Kratzer Road end.

Weaver’s Mennonite Church’s nativity is the 20th and 21st, 6-7:30PM. I drive by their sign on my way to work every day.

6. Jeremy Aldrich says:

Thanks for the tips, everyone! They all sound great!

I was thinking today it would be neat to get some pictures of the best holiday light displays around the city and geotag them on a Google map.

Jeremy, I was thinking the same thing about taking photos of lights around town. Maybe each of us hburgnews bloggers could cover a section of the city.

8. seth says:

Shenandoah Valley Choral Society is doing their holiday program this Friday, December 19, @ 7:30 pm
    Location is the Bridgewater Church of the Brethren.