Kai to be elected Mayor

Renee -- December 31st, 2008

The Daily News Record is reporting that “our” (former hburgnews blogger) Kai Degner has expressed interest in the mayorship, and that the now-democrat-majority City Council is expected to back him. DNR’s Jeff Mellott called the new Council members and found that Kai has enough votes to get it.

The official vote is on Friday, so we’ll make sure to have interviews and more info ready by then!

18 Responses to “Kai to be elected Mayor”

1. Brian M says:

I have to say that I have more hope for this area than I have in a long time. It is so good to know someone that has our best interests at heart – all of our interests – is going to be mayor. I can only hope this is true. Happy 2009 to everyone!

2. Karl says:

Anyone else think it was odd the council members were willing to divulge how they were going to vote prior to the meeting? It’s a minor thing, but it’s a little disappointing to me. Of course as I say it’s minor, the paper obviously felt it was a big enough story to write before it actually happened….and so did Hburgnews.

I like Kai, but Dave Wiens may have the schedule most condusive to holding the position. Joe could certainly shed some light on how many calls he received as Mayor, but I’m betting that call volume won’t mix well with Kai’s brand new job. Of course Joe could also say that the difference in amount of calls between Mayor and just council member are negligible.

Actually, Karl, if a constituent doesn’t know one of the council members personally, then the constituent starts with the mayor. And through ceremonies and various meetings, the mayor does have a lot more contact with the public. It can be good or bad, depending on what the mayor wants to do.

But, history on your other topic. 1990, 1992, 1998, 2000, and 2002 we knew before the vote who the mayor would be.

Also, some notes on the alleged top vote-getter tradition, previously posted at DNR site: The top vote-getter was not chosen as mayor in 1990, 1992, 1998, 2002, 2004, 2006, if you want to count the last ten council elections. Ignore this, it’s dizzying: the top vote-getter became mayor in 1990, 1996, 2000, and, apparently, 2008. The top vote-getters of 1990, 1992, and 1994 became mayor two, two, and ten years later, respectively, and the top vote-getter of 2006 had been six years earlier. Interesting tradition.

4. Karl says:

Thanks for the insight Joe.

Still think council should pull the old switcheroo at the meeting this morning and pick someone else…not for any political reason, just for my personal amusement.

5. At the meeting.

Degner, Baugh, and Wiens were just sworn in, Kai was nominated and just elected mayor.

That was quick.

6. Richard Baugh is vice mayor.

7. Committee Appointments:

Wiens appointed to Parks and Rec Commission.

Frank and Baugh appointed to Chamber of Commerce Board.

Weins appointed to Community Criminal Justice Board.

Frank appointed to the Deer Population Task Force (huh?).

Weins appointed to the Advisory Board for Jail Facility.

Frank and Wiens appointed to the Social Services Board.

Byrd and Degner elected to City-County Liaison Committee.

Byrd and Degner on the School Liaison Committee.

Byrd and Degner on the JMU Liaison Committee.

Degner appointed to HDR Board of Directors.

Wiens, Baugh, and Byrd on Metro Planning Organization.

No, really, the city has a task force to keep on eye on deer issues, particularly in the Hillandale area. Formed long ago to prove council was doing something about the issue, then never disbanded. Like HEC and the Parking Authority, sort of.

Congratulations Kai!

Thanks for the detailed updates, Brent!

Congrats, Kai!

11. B. Wayne S. says:

It doesn’t matter what they say ahead of time. As Mr. Fitzgerald could tell you, you can’t always count on a councilman to vote like they tell (promise) voters they will.

Wow, that’s surely productive commenting. Anywho

Y’know, I keep asking, because I know eventually somebody will tell me: At what time, at what place, using what words, did I make a campaign promise to take some specific action about the golf course?

Oh, what the hell. At least he calls me mister.

14. Breslau says:

Brent, thanks for all that information. Looks like we’ll have to alter Harrisonburg’s Wikipedia page.

15. zen says:

Congratulations, Mayor Kai!

16. Kai says:

Thanks for the congrats and support, everyone! I started a new blog for my mayor hat at http://www.whykai.com – it’s syndicated in hbblogs now. Looking forward to staying in touch via the blogosphere!

17. Breslau says:

Whoo, I just finished putting a vice-mayor slot and a slot/collapsible list of city council members plus their political parties on Hburg’s Wikipedia page. That took such a long time. I couldn’t stop changing my own work. Hope the adjustments made the page look better. My back hurts now.

Oh, and congrats, Mayor Kai.

18. Josh says:

Thanks Breslau!

From the “anonymous” person that made the initial Kai updates. :)