Question of the week: best way to take the chill off

Jeremy Aldrich -- January 13th, 2009

With temperatures this week dipping into the lower teens, I’m wondering what hburgnews readers do to warm up when it’s cold.  Is there a particular hot beverage at a local cafe that thaws your soul?  Is there a place to hang out that’s unusually free of drafts, perhaps next to a crackling fireplace?  Post your tips in the comments.

11 Responses to “Question of the week: best way to take the chill off”

1. Bell says:

Whiskey on my couch, does the trick every time.

2. Olivia says:

Now this I can help with!

My top two picks:
    – the fireplace at Panera Bread. Order coffee in a mug; work, read, or chat near the fireplace; and refill that mug as many times as you want!
    – a cozy chair away from the door at Earth & Tea Cafe. Order a pot of tea and settle in.

Also:
    – Barnes & Noble cafe. Order your favorite latte and read a book or magazine. My favorites are cinnamon dolce, chai, and gingersnap (there’s something about spices!).
    – Starbucks on Port. Rd. See above for drinks.
    – Greenberry’s on 42. (Don’t go there often, so if anyone has a drink recommendation, chime in.)
    – Old Dominion Coffee Co. Coffee of the day and peanut butter pie!
    – the cafe in Martin’s (also with a fireplace!). Good and affordable coffee and gelato. Don’t worry, the coffee and fireplace are warm enough that you can enjoy a little gelato.

There really isn’t a cafe in Hburg that I dislike. I love them all. Am I forgetting any?

If you’re in Bridgewater, check out the last remaining Daily Grind in the area, which has a cozy lounge. If you want coffee or tea to go, visit Codi’s (on Main St. between College and Bank) which has a pod coffee machine. You can choose from numerous flavors of Green Mountain coffees, hot cocoa, and Celestial Seasonings teas, all brewed fresh when you order.

And if you venture into downtown Staunton, Blue Mountain Coffee and Coffee on the Corner are also great (and the former Daily Grind, whatever that’s called now). Staunton also has a Martin’s cafe and a Starbucks on 250.

I think we need more local coffee shops (Grottoes or Verona, anyone?). But then I live in Weyers Cave, so I’m biased…

Well, my son just left for basic at Lackland, where it’s supposed to be 68 tomorrow. Probably wouldn’t work for most of us.

4. Laura says:

When I belonged to the Wellness Center, the jacuzzi felt mighty nice on a cold evening.

5. Dave Briggman says:

Joe, that must have been really hard for you.

Next time you speak with him, thank him for serving our country — and for choosing the finest of the armed forces to do so. :-)

Dave

6. Marty says:

I enjoy a nice dutch oven.

7. Josh says:

Marty: LOL That can be taken multiple ways :)

8. Brooke says:

Sweater/sweatshirt and wool socks and a nice hot cup of tea/cocoa/coffee usually does it for me.

9. Bill says:

Spend the day (or evening) skiing. When you come back inside everything feels warmer. It feels even better if you have some Bärenjäger to warm up with.

10. charlie chenault says:

Joe – best wishes to Gus as he serves our country. It is hard to believe that the young man I used to see hanging out with you is in the Air Force. Sounds like a trip for you and Deb to San Antonio for basic graduation.
    Charlie

11. Dana says:

My favorite winter (or summer, fall, spring for that matter)place: Indian American Cafe, it’s always VERY warm in there! And the food can warm you up too! A 3 or 4 can make you sweat.