“inclement weather” open thread

Brent Finnegan -- January 27th, 2009

Today is the first occasion this winter for a snow day open thread. Lots of schools are closed today due to inclement weather, including HCPS and JMU.

What are you seeing? Is your work/school closed? How are the roads?

30 Responses to ““inclement weather” open thread”

1. egregory says:

Rosetta Stone is never closed — I work from home if I can’t get in (which is unlikely today).

2. Justin says:

RCPS closed. 12-month employees are on 2-hour delay.

3. Justin says:

Still just sleeting in Grottoes. Heard it’s snowing in Weyers Cave.

4. Sarah says:

It’s snowing pretty hard here on the south end of Harrisonburg – the ground is covered and the roads are pretty slick.

My work is not closed, but I’m at home with my kids. I took them in with me to check e-mail and do a few small things and then came home. The roads are not in good shape and only getting worse. If you can stay home, I’d recommend it. I’d be more excited if my kids weren’t sick because then we could go out and play!

6. Justin says:

RCPS is fully closed.

7. Joey Groah says:

Elkton in to Harrisonburg was fairly decent with some messy spots throughout, a mix of cars, trucks and SUVs. Normally one lane both ways is pretty clear, though traffic moved at a decent, cautious pace.

8. The stuff I scraped off my windshield looked/felt like fake Massanutten snow. Not quite sleet, not quite snow.

I was surprised at how uncleared Main Street was at 8:00.

9. Margo Jantzi says:

Enjoying this snow day by reading about all the award winning books announced yesterday: http://www.ala.org/ala/newspresscenter/news/pressreleases2009/january2009/ymawrap.cfm

10. Barnabas says:

We have a nice warm front here in Augusta, it’s 80 degrees and the sun is shining. So much better then Rockingham.

But for real I am one of four people that showed up at work today, everyone else is taking the day off and the schools are all closed.

We have a nice wintery mix.

Downtown’s clearish and You Made It!’s open, no snowday for me :( But you can come paint with me:)

12. Tina says:

Cally’s closed today at 2pm.

Court Square Theater had movie showings scheduled for tonight, but given Cally’s closure and other factors, we’ve cancelled those.

13. Justin says:

Smokin’ Pig is still open in Grottoes. And away we go!

14. Jeremy Aldrich says:

Our nearby city roads with lots of townhouses on them are surprisingly uncleared. And by the pinging sound on my jacket from icy precipitation, I doubt much is going to be open tomorrow either.

I live on a road that is usually cleared really early. It’s been treated, but barely. Guess I’ll get to test my new four wheel drive abilities tomorrow because I won’t have kids, so I’m going to work.

16. “Surprisingly uncleared” seems to be the consensus today.

Our road got plowed – I’m not sure if it was treated with anything. I didn’t see any visible sand or salt when I was shoveling around my truck. Too bad since now it’s raining ice and everything is getting really slick. Harrisonburg will have to close schools tomorrow again if they don’t treat the roads ASAP, since the freezing rain is supposed to continue to build up all night.

I just heard the plow go down my road here in Park View. I expect city schools will be closed again tomorrow.

City Schools are closed tomorrow according to WHSV. Going to be fun trying to go to work tomorrow.

Getting in to work this morning was very interesting. If you can stay home, I would. I saw one odd accident where it appeared that the people in the cars had just gone back inside their homes.

DebSF and I subscribe to three newspapers: The DNR (for some reason), The Washington Post, and The Wall Street Journal. Only the left-wing, northeast liberal, MSM Post arrived today. The two ideological, right-wing, Fox-fired papers did not. I do not know if this is a metaphor.

22. Bill says:

My street hasn’t even been touched by the city yet. It’s not usually cleared too quickly, but it would be nice if they would have laid some salt/sand down last night or this morning so I could actually get up the hill. This inch of ice/snow mixture isn’t too pleasant.

23. I did not get a Washington Post this morning.

In defense of my metaphor, I will have to assume your Post was stolen by rightist vandals.

25. Frank J Witt says:

Next round started on Southside about 25 minutes ago…any takers on how the schools will go tomorrow?

I’ll bet HHS delayed, JMU in, since it’s supposed to be above freezing and only get a few inches. But if it stays cold, the roads are going to be icy again because they’re really wet right now.

I’m wondering what the other batch of snow predicted for Tues night – Wed is going to do.

City will go or be an hour late.

County closed.

28. Brooke says:

I would love for the county to be closed. My sister just had a baby in Richmond, and that way we’d just head that way and my son wouldn’t miss a day of school. I’m not afraid to drive with a little snow on the ground.

29. Jeremy Aldrich says:

city and county both closed today.

Yay for a snow day with real snow!